SOTU : NY-NJ-PA TriState Uke Meet

This is a GREAT idea!

I'd love to attend something like this (closer to home as it may be), and also would be coming from NJ (via Morris County area).

Just Playing it by Ear Gang post #23 Update

NEWS FLASH STRUM 2015: July 10-11 and July 17-18 are proposed for STRUM 2015. Tenative Location: Boro Park, Nazareth PA - Two blocks from the CF Martin Plant. Volunteers are required: WE WANT UKE for STRUM
No group or individual has notified me of a conflict. Your input is encouraged. "If you want to take out of the pot you should put into the pot"

UPDATE
see post 19 for The Just Playing it by Ear Gang comprehensive Plan

1. Two of the Six original Organizers have had to drop out for various reasons. Their input and assistance has been appreciated
2. Volunteers Are Needed To Continue this Project. WE WANT UKE for STRUM
3. Plan A - one local Uke Luau is being considered in central Jersey. We encourage the organizers to post their Date and location:TBA
4. Plan B STRUM is on hold pending response of solicited corporate sponsor -this will take a while. WE WANT UKE for STRUM Date and location: TBD
5. UkeFest NJ organizers Requested we not hold STRUM in such a way that interferes with this event. We will cooperate with them in this regard but require the date and location of this event to do so.
6. Please post your scheduled events in the Tri-state Area here. we need to coordinate these efforts.
7. It was suggested that STRUM be held in late april or early may to allow other events to be held in June, July and August :rolleyes:. - Until other organizer inform The Just Playing it by Ear Gang of their Event Date and Location we are unable to cooperate. -My initial response to this is Somebody is off their meds.
8.PLAN D April Showers Strum : Requires a volunteer to locate a suitable indoor location WE WANT UKE for STRUM
9.PLAN C Lets Call The Whole Thing Off remains viable.

Last edited:
Hi Gang,

I am indeed the chairperson for Uke New Jersey!, the third annual of which will be held this year on August 28, 29 and 30 in Chatham, NJ (our regular venue in Morristown will be undergoing renovations from mid-June until September/October). Chatham is about an hour east-ish from Nazareth. The venue is booked and the contracts are out to the performers and should be in my hand next week. This will be a literal Ukulele love-in! (You heard it here first!)

I actually love the idea of your proposed event, and may have some information/insight that could be helpful.

The odds of getting any corporate sponsorship or involvement from Martin aren't very good, IMO, for a few reasons.

Martin gets around 50 requests a day for such things and as a result, they tend to only attend and sponsor the really big events. Philly Folk Fest, Merlefest, Newport, Grey Fox, etc... events that typically draw thousands of patrons. This is per my discussions with Chris Thomas at Martin last year. Dick Boak came to the first Uke New Jersey! with some instruments from the Martin Museum, but that was on his own time to support both me and Tom Walsh, whose book on the Martin Ukulele had just been published at the time.

For events that they actually sponsor (check their website for Martin Experience Events) everything is extremely Martin-centric, and understandably so, so sponsorship of a Ukulele event that doesn't have one of their "Martin Ambassadors" as a headlining performer doesn't really fit their MO these days.

Mid July is an extremely busy time for Martin as they are divvying their resources up for not only the summer festival season, but the Summer NAMM show in Nashville (usually the second week in August) as well as... the annual Martin On Main event in downtown Nazareth. This is a joint event produced by the Nazareth Chamber of Commerce, Martin Guitars, and the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum each year on the first weekend in August. This year Martin On Main will take place on Saturday, August 1. Details for the UMGF weekend can be found here:

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/forums/185/Nazareth-2015

I have been to this event every year since it's inception in 2001 and it is a fantastic time (There are a few other UU members that attend as well), however, the main focus is on, unsurprisingly, Martin Guitars. While there are always some Ukes in attendance, the guitar is definitely the star. In fact, at last year's MOM event, there were only three Ukes in the Martin booth, although Kate Micucci stopped by and that was pretty cool (she grew up in Nazareth and her Mom still lives there).

So... if you all are intent on something in the Nazareth zone, I might suggest that you either aim for the Martin On Main event and take advantage of the pre-planned party, or shoot for something in late April/early May, make it very casual and unstructured and consider it a test for future events, or...

Come to Uke New Jersey! and enjoy the best of both worlds. A more traditional festival on Friday Night and Saturday with workshops, concerts, Open Mics, and camaraderie with Sunday set aside for freeform jam sessions and whatnot at a local park (I could even arrange for one of the featured performers to come do a workshop on Sunday).

For future reference, if there really is enough demand for a UWC/OUC style event in these parts, I know of a German swim club here in NJ that would be absolutely perfect for such a thing and would be willing to help with the planning for 2016 (my plate is already full for 2015). This place has a campground that allows a fire-pit, real showers and bathrooms, and a clubhouse with a licensed bar and a kitchen and a small stage.

Scooter
908-229-1214
(Now that I have officially/unofficially announced Uke New Jersey! III, feel free to call me with any questions.)

Last edited:
A Little STRUM in the Park

Hi scooter I am glad you came on board.
3rd Uke New Jersey, Chatham, NJ, August 28, 29 and 30 2015 - ScooterD35,Chairperson
So you are booking acts 9-12 months out. Great hype by the way.:cool: I will try to make it to the festival. If you need a story teller or someone to help run the campfires? IamYourMan! 9 years a performer, 35 years festival volunteer at the Philadelphia Folk Festival, August 21-23, 2015, Old Pool Farm, Schwenksville PA. Scooter look at the Philadelphia FolkSong Society's festival web page. It's last years but very nicely laid out.

Scooter I am trying to work up some support for these types of events amongst the UU Community. As you know you can't easily do it all yourself. The experience you get is invaluable and the contacts you make are priceless. I have provided or helped to provide Venues for various types of Folk culture for decades. Scooter please consider a PM.to me I would like to pick your brains regarding the first two Uke New Jersey Festivals. I expect we can exchange some war stories.

You need support and sponsorship. 3rd Uke New Jersey is sponsored by The Folk Project correct? Your event is to be held in Chatham NJ. You say this is a new location for you. IDK if you have had previous experience with this municipality. How much time did you have to spend satisfying the Municipal authorities here? The event I am considering is a one day Ukulele Luau on the Hibernia Park Old Fiddlers Picnic (scroll down). I am looking at using the Nazareth Boro Park in Nazareth PA, about two blocks from the CF Martin Factory and Museum.

The working title for this event is A Little STRUM in the Park, Nazareth, Old Time Ukulele Picnic. (I reckon the old time Picnic angle might stir up some interest at Boro Hall and Martin. Ukulele sales pulled Martin through the Great Depression and gave jobs to the good folk of Nazareth. Its an angle). The proposed date(s) is Jul 11, 2015 or July 18, 2015. A two day affair would be nice but "you need to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run".

I also like the idea of leave like you found it that is used a Burning Man. Having a day to clean up on Sunday is not a bad idea. My sister-in-law Alice has worked in DayCare in the area, She might help with a kids area Like they have at GrassRoots Festival* in Trumansburg Fairgrounds,NY on July 16-19 :( -(160 miles away maybe not a problem). When I worked the Daycare area at GrassRoots they had 3 people/ shift working. Security arrangements go to my buds at PFS. "Dey's Da Pros From Dover".

Have to have an open mic. maybe a contest. - (I wonder, A Gold Tone Banjolele 1st prize -Patrick Costello might do that! and get Martin to donate a uke for a raffle.- way they due at PFF). EmCee - Gene Shay, Andy Braunfeld, Godfreys Daniels, - Dave Frye. I could even hit on Mike Agranoff if hes free. He owes me. The Stage is something I have to deal with. But Folk Cycle :cool: will provide power and light for the Stage. - Hoo I know everybody in this vid.

Ok Guys you can see how my mind works here. I use the resources I have to develop a plan and proceed. Looks like right now its non-ukers for this project.
looks to me like 30 volunteers for the day of the event. I would like to see 300 attend a first time event. More later I need some fun.

Scooter For the Nonce I am considering your words Re Martin. Looks like a hard nut.

An in kind donation of a uke is not unreasonable .4xList cash value. so an OXK Soprano $399 is $160 cash value to Martin. You should be able to get Martin to donate that much to 3rd Uke New Jersey. Raffle it. That's What they do at Philly. $10/Ticket say 200 sales = $2000 revenue. Hit up Gold tone too.

OK guys keep your input coming. volunteers needed. WE WANT UKE for STRUM In the Park!

Top Bottom