Los Angeles Area UUers - Want to get together?

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
There are quite a few of us in the LA area. Any interest in finding a central location and getting together for a meet and greet - maybe for dinner or lunch on the weekend? I know there are quite a few West Siders here. Maybe we could meet somewhere around Culver City or El Segundo?

I have an office in El Segundo, if we can't find a better location I could see about using the office or one of the building conference rooms on a Sunday. I think a restaurant would be better though. I'm thinking more of getting together and meeting each other more than get together and play.

I live way up north in the west valley and I'm thinking there are folks in Pasadena and other areas.

Any interest?

Last edited:
Sure, I'd be up for something like that if the day/time fit my sort of tricky schedule (Sundays are almost always out for me). It would definitely be easier to find a place "just to meet" rather than to actually play in terms of restaurants - some other players and I used to try this thing from time to time some years ago. A Hawaiian place called Rutt's in Culver City was open to us playing on their patio at one point, but it's on a busy street and was hard to hear and I don't think the adjacent kitchen staff appreciated it (they always cranked their boom box up!). When the weather was warm enough we used to meet at Veterans' Park in Culver City fairly often; it's a good freeway-close central location with easy parking.

You guys should hook up with U Space and see if they can help you with a meet up spot. I'm sure they'd love to promote the ukulele and spread the aloha.

(Thinking out loud)

I think a meetup would be nice. I like the park idea if only because there is no concern about being an inconvenience to any patrons or employees of a restaurant. I guess if there are people in the Valley, South Bay, Westside and San Gabriel maybe Hollywood and Downtown are kind of central - though downtown parking sucks (the reason I never go to USpace).

Maybe we should get a roll call going to see who is interested and where they are located so we can figure out something centrally located to everyone.

To get the ball rolling, I am game if I am in town when it happens...I live in San Pedro, but I drive to Culver City at least once a week to see my mom so I can be counted in that part of town too.

U-Space means dealing with downtown traffic and parking. I'd rather we meet somewhere on the west side or one of the valleys. I'm pretty sure we could do it at my office if we do it on a weekend but I need to see if the conference rooms can be used on a weekend.

Love the idea of a meet/greet vs. playing. I'm in Santa Monica. Weekends challenging because of kids but will do what I can to attend. Weeknights easier for me, but I understand that it's likely the reverse for most.

E

I could do it on a weeknight if it were a Tuesday - that's the day I usually go down to El Segundo. I could probably do another night but not a Friday or a Thursday. Maybe we could just get whoever wants to go and go to dinner. I'm not really looking for it to be a playing get together - most of us already have groups we play with - it would just be nice to meet some of you.

I'd be down for a meet and greet. I live in Burbank so I can pretty much get to any of the locations mentioned. If it's on the weekend, Saturday afternoon or night works best for me.

How is it that the coolest UU'ers--the ones that I would love to break bread with--always live far away on the dangerous side of the San Andreas Fault. Must be something in the mixed gene pool over there that makes you all hip and cool and four-stringy.

Here in Chicago it's all about crummy weather, drinking cheap Mikwaukee beer, and beating the dog with a rolled Tribune.

I'm not so sure about the hip and cool thing, but there is no better time to visit SoCal then winter! ;-) In fact, the Palm Strings Uke Festival in early February could be the perfect time (it's almost sold out, so hurry if interested).

Did anything come out of this? Recently relocated to Culver City, let me know if you guys decide to meet up for dinner sometime.

Nothing came of this. I suggested something but then kind of forgot to follow up. I think a dinner in the Culver City Area during the week might work.

I'm wondering what people think about a Tuesday night - that's the day I'm usually on the west side. I can change it if it doesn't work for other people.

Nothing came of this. I suggested something but then kind of forgot to follow up. I think a dinner in the Culver City Area during the week might work.

I'm wondering what people think about a Tuesday night - that's the day I'm usually on the west side. I can change it if it doesn't work for other people.

A weekday other than Wed generally works for me, so Tuesday fits the bill.

Another West LA Uker, Beginner. I'd like either a Saturday Park thing or an amenable bar weeknight. Hard to believe theres no place that wouldn't want a dozen people showing up on a weeknight.

Santa Monica Airport Park, has a lot of tables that don't get used much. Parking isn't too bad. The park on Motor near Fox studios has a ton of space, but parking can be a problem on the weekend. Cloverfield Park has a lot of parking and some benches theres a little shady cooking spot, s long as their is no birthday there it might work well acoustically.

I am also in the West San Fernando Valley. I can do weeknights more easily than weekends, but willing to consider either or both. Might want to consider Sherman Oaks venue as it is freeway close and might be more central to all areas (Pasadena, Woodland Hills, West Side, etc.). There are some easy parks and might be worth looking into some bars or patio-friendly places. If desired, I'm happy to investigate that for a group of 5 or more.

Another West LA Uker, Beginner. I'd like either a Saturday Park thing or an amenable bar weeknight. Hard to believe theres no place that wouldn't want a dozen people showing up on a weeknight.

Santa Monica Airport Park, has a lot of tables that don't get used much. Parking isn't too bad. The park on Motor near Fox studios has a ton of space, but parking can be a problem on the weekend. Cloverfield Park has a lot of parking and some benches theres a little shady cooking spot, s long as their is no birthday there it might work well acoustically.

Since you're local and a beginner - in case you're interested, there's a beginning uke class starting this Wednesday at McCabe's. It's a great way to get yourself playing and meeting other ukers. This was the first class I took years ago, and I'm still at it - it's that much fun!

When the weather is warm enough the parks are a good idea. Have to remember, it's still technically "winter" even though it doesn't feel like it :)

I am also in the West San Fernando Valley. I can do weeknights more easily than weekends, but willing to consider either or both. Might want to consider Sherman Oaks venue as it is freeway close and might be more central to all areas (Pasadena, Woodland Hills, West Side, etc.). There are some easy parks and might be worth looking into some bars or patio-friendly places. If desired, I'm happy to investigate that for a group of 5 or more.

I used to host a uke jam at Guitar Merchant in Canoga Park twice a month. We lasted several years before finally giving way. I think Guitar Merchant has another uke jam going on, but I don't know for sure. They have a bluegrass group on some Sundays. My woodshop is right next door and I already spend too much time there.

As it happens, I will be the Featured Performer for the Wednesday Open Mic show on February 4. Chad Watson will join me with an upright bass. We get a 30-minute set.

I guess there are several uke fests this year so if all else fails, see everyone there!

I host a free monthly ukulele jam in La Crescenta at Two Strike Park, and would love to have Undergrounders in attendance! Third Saturdays of the month, from 2pm - 4pm. You can find out more at our Facebook group page, Montrose Ukulele Jam. All are welcome, all levels!

Top Bottom