Ukey Dave Memorial DVD - appeal for assistance

redpaul1

Reaction score
Linda Louden suggested that a fitting tribute for Dave's family would be the creation of a DVD containing all Dave's Season's videos. This suggestion has been gratefully accepted by Dave's family.

Now, Dave's first Season's entry was for Season 20, though he seems only to have been a regular contributor since Season 53. In other words, there's around 250 videos that need downloading and compiling. Remembering that the funeral is next Monday, we only have a week to get this done.

It seems to me that here's a situation where many hands can make light work. If everyone who have expressed their condolences undertook to download 5 videos each, we'll easily manage to get this DVD compiled.

I've set up a Dropbox folder to collate everyone's downloads: Ukey Dave YT files.

Signing up

Once we have volunteers, we'll need some kind of co-ordination. Looking at Dave's videos, I think the easiest thing to do may be to start with the most recent and work back. To get the ball rolling, I'll download all the videos for Seasons 146-137. Linda, would you like to take on Dave's videos for your 'Nifty Fifties' season (Season 136)?

Edit:If anyone else wants to volunteer to take on another set of downloads, I have now put up a sign-up sheet in the Dropbox folder. However before you can upload your files to this address, I will need to add you as an editor of the Dropbox folder. So if you want to volunteer, please PM me with an email address, so I can send you an invitation to become an editor of this folder.

Once you've received your invitation to become an editor of the dropbox folder, go there, open up the sign-up sheet and add your name to any files you'd like to help download.

I have also created a Ukey Dave playlist, on which the sign-up sheet is based. You'll find it here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo6LNdV3F-sFS5u0Rgz5LlTsRMh8k9bc9

How to go about downloading a YT video?

Mac users
If you have a Mac, you can use MacTubes to download YT videos. Linda has supplied this tutorial: MacTubes streamlines the process of finding and streaming YouTube videos by giving you access to them away from your internet browser.

The direct download for the MacTubes software is to be found here:http://macapps.sakura.ne.jp/mactubes/archives/MacTubes_v3.1.6.zip.

Windows/Linux Users
For those of you on Windows/Linux, you can use VLC player to obtain a download link for any YT video. I've made and attached a vid, but here are the steps.
1) Open your browser and get the YT address (http://yourvid.youtube.com)
2) Open VLC player and go to File/Open Network
3) In the resulting dialog box, enter your YT address.
4) Once the video is loaded, find it in your VLC playlist.
5) Open Media Information and go to Location
6) Copy the URL found there into your browser (It will something like this:
http://r1---sn-cn3tc-o9ue.googlevid... ms,mv,ratebypass,source,upn,expire&dur=0.000). This will reload your YT video.
7) Right-click on the video and save it to your computer.

This vid was produced on a Mac, but the principles are generally applicable:

Edit: Other YT video downloaders for Windos are available. Myrna and Jim have provided details in their posts below.

Last edited:
Right ...we get the video onto our computer...what do we then need to do with it ?

Being a bit dim here obviously..(Well, it is my job description)

Right ...we get the video onto our computer...what do we then need to do with it ?

Being a bit dim here obviously..(Well, it is my job description)

Drop it in the dropbox folder: Ukey Dave YT Files - but do send me a PM with your email address so I can grant you the necessary permissions to do so.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, not so much "Dim"...more a complete power outage in the illuminations department and the candle makers are all on strike......I'll have a look at 135 to 125 if you like...

Brilliant (ha! see what I did there?)! Thanks.

Hey Paul -

I have started work on a collab video for 152 which might involve downloading a bunch of Dave's videos to use for reediting, so no problem here. Give me as many as you like, although 20-25 might top it out.

- greenie44

Hey Paul -

I have started work on a collab video for 152 which might involve downloading a bunch of Dave's videos to use for reediting, so no problem here. Give me as many as you like, although 20-25 might top it out.

- greenie44

20-25 would be above and beyond. Just let me have a list. I'm going to try to put them all into a spreadsheet/playlist.

Can't you simply rip vids from YouTube using AnyVideoConverter? Copy/Paste the URL and convert?
I'll volunteer to drop some vids into Dropbox for you. I can start from the beginning since you're starting from the end.

Can't you simply rip vids from YouTube using AnyVideoConverter? Copy/Paste the URL and convert?
I'll volunteer to drop some vids into Dropbox for you. I can start from the beginning since you're starting from the end.

If you have a link to AnyVideoConverter* that would be great - and thanks for chipping in!

*I'm pretty sure I'm sure all these programmes are probably just automating what you do manually in VLC player, but whatever speeds up the process can only be good.

Last edited:
Do we need a dropbox account to get in to put the files in the folder?
Do we sign in with username password that you have created

I just did the forst 5 videos but I can see how to put them in the folder without signing in.

Yes Paul I will gladly take on season 136. Am I understanding that after we place out vids in the dropbox you are burning them to a disk for the family? This is a fantastic idea to get this done fast and in time for the funeral. I did notice yesterday that someone compiled a video of caves drumlins on his YT channel for him. It was great!

Is it at all possible for you to set up a sign up sheet for us much like the seasons sign up page so we don't do repeats? After Im get 136 done I would be able to start on another several vids and this would really help.

AND Mp4 is what I use in the MacTube.

Last edited:
Do we need a dropbox account to get in to put the files in the folder?
Do we sign in with username password that you have created

I just did the forst 5 videos but I can see how to put them in the folder without signing in.
I have the same question as wee_ginga_yin. I just dropped Creep in - is it there?
wee- before I rip any more- what # did you stop at? I'll do the next five - let me know where you are. I think we're both working from the start of the list while others are working back from the end.

Yes Paul I will gladly take on season 136. Am I understanding that after we place out vids in the dropbox you are burning them to a disk for the family? This is a fantastic idea to get this done fast and in time for the funeral. I did notice yesterday that someone compiled a video of caves drumlins on his YT channel for him. It was great!

Is it at all possible for you to set up a sign up sheet for us much like the seasons sign up page so we don't do repeats? After Im get 136 done I would be able to start on another several vids and this would really help.

AND Mp4 is what I use in the MacTube.
Excellent idea Linda. Apparently wee_ginga_yin and I just duplicated one. Luckily I only did one so before I go and do any more I'm checking with him as to which one he stopped at before I continue.

I have the same question as wee_ginga_yin. I just dropped Creep in - is it there?
wee- before I rip any more- what # did you stop at? I'll do the next five - let me know where you are. I think we're both working from the start of the list while others are working back from the end.

I have the first 5 on my hard disk... but see no way of putting them in the dropbox folder.
I was working from DAves videos and not pauls playlist. Do we only want to do the season
and not his other stuff?

Blues Improvisation on Ukulele - Just for fun-qrlrwRRg2_0.mp4
8 Bar C Chord Blues on Ukulele-wsDG9oaaIGs.mp4
Let it Be - Beatles (Ukulele Cover)-tEDQp6Q4bAc.mp4
Give Peace a Chance - John Lennon (Ukulele Cover_Mix)-awLZOG4ZxxU.mp4
Sloop John B - Beach Boys (Ukulele Cover)-mGCRIoKjQUI.mp4

Last edited:
I have the first 5 on my hard disk... but see no way of putting them in the dropbox folder.

Blues Improvisation on Ukulele - Just for fun-qrlrwRRg2_0.mp4
8 Bar C Chord Blues on Ukulele-wsDG9oaaIGs.mp4
Let it Be - Beatles (Ukulele Cover)-tEDQp6Q4bAc.mp4
Give Peace a Chance - John Lennon (Ukulele Cover_Mix)-awLZOG4ZxxU.mp4
Sloop John B - Beach Boys (Ukulele Cover)-mGCRIoKjQUI.mp4

We didn't duplicate after all - I started with Creep (Season 20). Not sure if mine went into the Dropbox folder either.
redpaul- can you check to see if it's there? I dropped it in but how do we know it really made it into the folder?

I can rip the next 12 (after Creep) - all the vids through to the 53rd Season. Someone else can start from Season 54.

I am making a sign up sheet right now. I will add what you all have done to it as I go. It will take me a little while and then I will post it here. Paul I hope thats ok with you. I know you are busier than I am at the moment.

Still waiting on directions as to how to drop into the dropbox. If anyone figures that out let us all know please.

Ive been talking with Paul on FB. He has a spread sheet for sign ups that will be great and we are working out the Dropbox issue. Thanks everybody for your jump on this.

Top Bottom