Are You Really In Tune?

When I started playing guitar, I got an A-440 tuning fork and did the basic string-to-string-listen-for-the-wah-wah method for tuning. Later, I learned the 5/7 harmonic (i.e., another wrong method), because there weren’t any electronic devices. I rememer the first commercial electronic calculators, huge suckers that would add, subtract, divide, and multiply, cost three month’s salary, and were as big as Samsonite suitcases.

My problem then, as now, was that my ear, however accurate it might have been relatively-speaking, was not anybody else’s ear. I could tune the A and then the rest of the intrument from there, strum a few chords to see if any of them sounded okay, and I was done. It might sound okay to me, but if I sat down to play with somebody who had tuned his guitar by this method, sometimes (many times) his guitar and mine didn’t jibe.

Dude, you’re flat.

No, man, your axe is sharp.

What I found with electronic tuners was, if two of us used them, even if we weren’t theoretically perfect, at least we were imperfect in the same way, if that makes any sense …

Speaking here as somebody who plays with words as much as I do the ukulele, I think OregonJim’s initial post and Ceejay’s response suffered from what all of our posts suffer from: Words on paper or a screen are, at best, approximations of a face-to-face conversation, and they lack all those clues we get when we can see facial expression, hear the tone of words, and maybe even pick up on pheromones. A chat over a beer or coffee is way more likely to give you the real sense of what is being said than the back-and-forth of fingers-on-keyboards.

Cool Hand Luke’s Dictum: What we have here is a failure to communicate.

You know what you meant to say, but somebody who reads what you wrote always brings their own axe to the dialog, and what s/he gets might not be what you intended.

Sarcasm and humor are particularly difficult to pull off with the written word. If you can do that consistently, you have useful and marketable skill.

When you offer advice, sometimes it is more useful to begin with something that doesn’t inadvertently push buttons starting off, and you have to be mindful that your audience doesn’t have the same life-experiece you do.

Here’s how OregonJim’s post began:

"There are so many ukulele videos on YouTube, and I've noticed that the vast majority of them are out of tune. Why?

First of all, here's what not to do:

Use your clip-on tuner to tune each open string to G-C-E-A.

This guarantees that you will be playing out-of-tune!"

I can see two ways to take this: Funny, or know-it-all. If you go with funny, then you probably don’t have a problem with it. If you are struck by the other attitude, then not so much.

Funny: That first line is hyperbole, and meant that way. Know-it-all: The line is inaccurate, and sets the tone for the rest of the post. Unless you have seen all the ukulele videos on YouTube, you can’t say that the vast majority of them are out-of-tune, can you? You can say, Well, I’ve seen a hundred of ‘em, and most of ‘em are out-of-tune, least according to my ear. More accurate, but less funny.

If I were casting the rest of this, I might have offered that there are nine-and-sixty ways of tuning, and here’s one that I found to be the most useful/accurate, then laid it out. When you begin with saying what is likely a fair number of your readers are doing is wrong, you start off raising hackles. Few of us like to be told that what we are doing, for whatever reason we do it, is wrong, and not just wrong but guaranteed wrong.

Really? Who the f-word are you to say so?

If you are going to be hyperbolic, then maybe you pull out the stops and go for it, be like an actor without a mike who has to reach the cheap seats. Subtle is harder.

Me, I gave OregonJim the benefit of the doubt here, although his posts have ruffled some feathers before. When I write something and people don’t get it, or disagree with it, I ask myself, 1) Is is me? 2) Is it them? or 3) Is is a combination of both? Usually that last one turns out to be my answer.
--
Steve

Last edited:
I think that we are getting a little cross-threaded on what the underlying issue is. (Skip to the last paragraph CeeJay, ‘cause I’m gonna throw some technical stuff at you…)

The basic problem is that the frets are placed very precisely to give you the proper pitch, and (in many cases) the saddle is adjusted to compensate for intonation problems due to a variety of factors that, quite frankly, have been beaten like a dead horse elsewhere in the forums. HOWEVER… the nut is not always precisely placed in relation to the frets.

THIS is what causes some ukuleles to sound out of tune, even though the open strings are precisely tuned to GCEA.

If you want to get to near perfect intonation, both the saddle AND the nut need to be compensated… but this is very manpower intensive, and most ukuleles are “close enough" – especially if the distance between the nut and the first fret are close to accurate. Unfortunately, due to the short scale of the ukulele, even the tiniest error equates to a significant percentage in length.

The easiest solution is to use your electronic tuner to tune your ukulele two or three frets up, rather than tune the open strings – i.e. tune your strings to Bb, Eb, G, C at the third fret. Your open strings may not be quite right, but your fretted notes will be in tune with each other – and I would rather have the other 76 (or so) notes be in tune and the 4 open notes slightly off. Easy-peasy.

Side Note: When testing the intonation up the neck, you should really check the octave between the 2nd or 3rd fret and the 13th or 14th fret. This will give you a much better idea regarding fret placement and/or saddle compensation. Checking the open string vs. the 12th fret introduces nut compensation into the mix.

Last edited:
@ Wicked .....as Cartman from South Park might say "Can I ask you a question ?":biglaugh:

Ermmmm....why am I having "technical" stuff "thrown" at me ?

My problem was with the language which the OP used....and said so...that's gone and finished as far as we're concerned...:stop:

The techie side I have no quarrel with ....a lot of is irrelevant for me ...I do not play bowed or blowed instruments that I could tune myself (Ackordeen,[technically blown as the bellows do the huff and the puff] Harp)....so no relevance other than as an intresting passing subject..

I now look at the electronic tuner with a slightly less enthusiastic and trusting eye than before ...though you seem to have come up with another "compromise" method.

That'll blow their minds down at The Uketeers....still you should have seen what happened when I told them that C could and oftimes SHOULD be played using all four strings at the third and at the seventh frets and elsewhere instead of just at 3 on the A....:rulez:

:cheers:

CeeJay

Over and Out

Keep on strumming...picking ...plucking...whatever you do do that makes you do music.

Last edited:
The basic problem is that the frets are placed very precisely to give you the proper pitch, and (in many cases) the saddle is adjusted to compensate for intonation problems due to a variety of factors...HOWEVER… the nut is not always precisely placed in relation to the frets.

THIS is what causes some ukuleles to sound out of tune, even though the open strings are precisely tuned to GCEA.

Yes, this is one of the major contributors to the problem. While builders usually take great care to precisely measure fret positions from the nut, they often don't take into account the fact that the active string length, that is the part that vibrates, does not begin precisely at the edge of the nut - inertia causes the string to start vibrating just a bit past the nut, which makes the true, active string length slightly shorter than the actual, physical string length. Saddle compensation can't correct this. So, as you say, and as I tried to point out way back at the beginning of this thread - you'll have a much better tuned instrument if you use fretted notes to tune (with or without a tuner) rather than open strings. Fretted notes closer to the nut end of the scale. And yes, I am leaving out a whole bunch of physics and music theory on purpose since it has been covered elsewhere...

Ermmmm....why am I having "technical" stuff "thrown" at me ?

Just messing with you, amigo. I promise not to throw anything at you. I don't think that my arm is good enough to get it all the way over to you anyway.

Last edited:
There are so many ukulele videos on YouTube, and I've noticed that the vast majority of them are out of tune. Why?

First of all, here's what not to do:

Use your clip-on tuner to tune each open string to G-C-E-A.

This guarantees that you will be playing out-of-tune!

Why? When you tune the open strings this way, you are bringing them in tune at their lowest possible tension. As you begin playing and fretting notes, the action of pressing the strings to the frets increases string tension causing the strings to play sharper.

Also, a great many people tune softly, and again, once you start playing louder, the notes go sharp (even the open ones) because you are moving the strings at a higher tension than when you were tuning.

Finally, the equal-tempered scale that we use today is a compromise. In the "old days", each particular key had its own "color". The great composers took advantage of that to bring out the colors in different keys. But today, we have a system where each key is slightly, though equally, out of tune, so that all keys "sound the same". However, strings on a fretted instrument still abide by the laws of physics, not the man-made law of equal temperament. They vibrate at the harmonics which are integral multiples of the string length. These do not coincide with the fundamental notes of the equal tempered scale. It is most noticable on the minor third and major sixth intervals, which are more than 15 cents "off" from what our ears want to hear. So, we have to use our ears to tune our instruments to the best compromise.

Here's how:

Use your tuner to tune just the open A string to the pitch "A". This is all you should ever use your tuner for (this is also why many only need a tuning fork tuned to A 440). Then use your ears to tune the rest of the instrument to itself. Fret the E string at the 5th fret and match it to the open A string. Then fret the C string at the 4th fret and match it to the E string open. Then fret the G string at the 5th fret and match it to the C string open (low-G) or 2nd fret to match the A string open (high-G). Make sure you do all of this at the same volume level that you plan to play. This will give you the best possible compromise for being in tune. Depending on your playing sytle, you may need to make small adjustments as you play.

It doesn't matter how expensive your ukulele is, or how well made, it will always be a compromise to tune it. The starting point, though, is to throw out the method of tuning all the open strings to a reference pitch, and start using your ear.
I actually discovered this early on. After the first week or so it was apparent that any given note could be played on more than one string. So I would mess around with that, and I did in fact start tweaking the strings to each other, not realizing that I was entering into the realm of sophisticated ukulele tuning. And I still mess around with it. See, messing around is practice. The main thing that I've been using it for is in playing melodies, I have more than one option for any particular note. But seriously, I've been tuning up by tuning my open strings to the tuner, but this method isn't difficult, like I said, I've been doing it for a while, just not specifically to tune the ukulele. I think that I'll give it a try.

Last edited:
Every time this tuning debate comes up it reminds me of what Winston Churchill is reported to have said when he was chastised for ending a sentence with a preposition: "That is the sort of errant pedantry up with which I shall not put."

Well I have tried the tuning suggestions here and it's a train wreck. If I tune it to these suggestions, the open strings are way off.

I wager most ukuleles on YouTube are not properly setup inexpensive ukuleles. Some seem to enjoy taking the most very simple and make it so overcomplicated.

~AL~oha~

I wager most ukuleles on YouTube are not properly setup inexpensive ukuleles. Some seem to enjoy taking the most very simple and make it so overcomplicated.
~AL~oha~
Well, there is certainly quite a bit of that going around.

Well I have tried the tuning suggestions here and it's a train wreck. If I tune it to these suggestions, the open strings are way off.

It is impossible to get it perfect, so don't sweat it, and just tune it so that it sounds good to you.

After six pages on the topic, the one thing I got out if it is everyone is right, but the discussion has ranged across tuning, intonation, and musical group dynamics. As said in old Floridian,"there's a lotta ways to skin a gator."

I'm a simple R&Rer who looks for easy solutions. I use an electonic chromatic tuner all the time, tuning the open string and then fretting the instrument at the 12th fret to see if I get the same letter reading (including deviation) at open and 12th. That way I know I'm in tune and the intonation isn't sour. Found this technique most helpful with mandolins and banjos (and banjoleles) since the floating bridge can and does move occasionally. With guitars and ukuleles, it lets me know when strings are wearing out, as the 12th fret will start deviating flat compared to the open as the strings soften.

Gotta love this group for its "active participation."

Excellent guide here from South Coast Ukes

It covers a wide range of situations.

Excellent find! Had I known about that article, I would have pointed to it instead of trying to explain it myself. :)

After six pages on the topic, the one thing I got out if it is everyone is right, but the discussion has ranged across tuning, intonation, and musical group dynamics. As said in old Floridian,"there's a lotta ways to skin a gator."

I'm a simple R&Rer who looks for easy solutions. I use an electonic chromatic tuner all the time, tuning the open string and then fretting the instrument at the 12th fret to see if I get the same letter reading (including deviation) at open and 12th. That way I know I'm in tune and the intonation isn't sour. Found this technique most helpful with mandolins and banjos (and banjoleles) since the floating bridge can and does move occasionally. With guitars and ukuleles, it lets me know when strings are wearing out, as the 12th fret will start deviating flat compared to the open as the strings soften.

Gotta love this group for its "active participation."

I wonder if my strings are just wearing out. It hasn't sounded good the past few days, and I have been trying the tips, here, to tune it. It's sounding very dull. At first I was questioning my ear but I don't think that's the case, at all.

I discovered that if I pluck one string, then the other, and listen to see if they are the same, my ear is not calibrated close enough to really discern the difference if they are close However, if I pluck both at the same time, if they are in tune with each other, they sound like one string, and if not, you can hear both strings.

But also, yesterday I was messing around a with this, and first I tuned all the open strings with the tuner, just to see. Then I was going to tweak them to each other off the A string, but they didn't need tweaking. They were all spot on, at least below the fifth fret, where you do all this manual tuning. I don't know if my Makala is just that good, or if my ear is just that bad. But then I went through the scale with the tuner, and it showed them spot on too. So my question is this, why is it better to just tune the A string with the tuner, then to tune everything off of it, than it is to tune all the strings open with the tuner, then just check them between each other? Anyway, my conclusion is that my ear is no better than my tuner, so why not just do it the easy way?

Last edited:
I discovered that if I pluck one string, then the other, and listen to see if they are the same, my ear is not calibrated close enough to really discern the difference if they are close However, if I pluck both at the same time, if they are in tune with each other, they sound like one string, and if not, you can hear both strings.

maybe you are hearing the 'beats' of the notes when they are not enharmonic to a perfect fifth (or fourth)?

My whole life before the ukule when playing guitar, I had a tuning fork that was pitched to the high E of the guitar (yes NOT A-440), and I'd tune the thinnest string to that and then using the 5th and 7th fret harmonics to tune the strings relative to each other. You could hear the 'beats' if the notes were not unisons.

(if I was in a band situation or loud room, I'd have to excuse myself to a quiet place so I could hear and tune, and then others in the group would do the same, all tuning to the tuning fork, never had an issue being in tune with the group) I never in my life used an electronic tuner before the ukulele.

I'd then strum an E chord in 1st position, on most of my guitars, 9 times out of 10, everything would be fine, but on other guitars, It would be off. I'd then strum a G chord and a C chord and if they also sounded off, I'd then start 'sweetening' the tuning using octaves and unisons in the first 5 frets to adjust the tuning. Way back then, in those dark days, I was completely ignorant of this 'new' thing that haunts me on ukulele called intonation. Now I am cursed that if the intonation, and resultant tuning is off by more than five cents, I CAN HEAR IT, and I cannot play until it is fixed, either by 'sweetening' the tuning with octaves and unisons, or getting out a file and compensating the saddle, nut or both if needed. This is most severe when the ukes were each new to me, but once 'modified' for proper intonation, it's no longer an issue.

When I see a YouTube video and the uke is obviously out of tune, I simply cannot bear to listen to it. It hurts my brain and I have to shut it off.

If your hearing perception is not acute enough to hear the difference, consider that maybe ignorance is bliss, and just play!!!

OldePhart warned me of this, but I did not heed his warning!!! :(

Top Bottom