Do you have a Pono? If so, could you please check something for me?

This is strange but not a problem at all. The only way it would effect the instrument is if the string height is too low on the string #1 side (in this case). If the A string isn't buzzing when open, it's nothing. Don't do anything. It's fine. What ever made you look to find this? (thought I was picky).

Not sure if I would ever notice anything like that, but, if I knew it was like that, it would bug the hell out of me. Just checked my C1K and Ohana and the slot same depth on both sides. Pono's are supposed to have better workmanship, I thought!

Good idea S. It'll just get better and better as you play. Sure shows Pono has class and care about their customers.
Class would be to say, "if you aren't happy with the workmanship of your brand new Pono ukulele, we will be happy to replace it." I don't think that saying, "nothing is perfect" shows class.

If the intonation and string height are ok, I don't think it would make me want to change it. I've seen Koaloha ukes with worse nuts. Still they play very well which is what matters.

Class would be to say, "if you aren't happy with the workmanship of your brand new Pono ukulele, we will be happy to replace it." I don't think that saying, "nothing is perfect" shows class.

yea, I was a little surprised at that response...

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed in the response from Pono, but I've wondered about them since I read the FAQ where it says, don't freak out if the bridge pops off, because they say it's a safety thing. I don't really believe it.

All non-plastic uke's are hand made. There's no Uke machine, where you push a tree in one end and it spits out a uke on the other. Human hands make Kala/Lanakai/Cordoba/etc just like on Pono's. Some steps are facilitated by jigs, molds, etc, but in the end, there's humans making these things, and not an injection machine (plastics aside).

On the one hand, it plays fine. The intonation is not exact but it's pretty close. I don't think it's because of the nut. I'll probably compensate the saddle when I lower it to fix it after I find a set of strings I like on it. I bought Pono because I was looking for a solid acacia and it sounded better to me in recordings than the Kala. And even though the nut is less than perfect, I cant say it plays badly, and it does sound nice.

On the otherhand, if/when I upgrade, I don't see another Pono or Ko'olau in my future, unless I can play it first. The music stores were I live don't carry higher end ukes so... probably I'd have to look on vacation, or maybe do a custom where I won't get the "hand made variance" line if something isnt made right.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed in the response from Pono, but I've wondered about them since I read the FAQ where it says, don't freak out if the bridge pops off, because they say it's a safety thing. I don't really believe it.

All non-plastic uke's are hand made. There's no Uke machine, where you push a tree in one end and it spits out a uke on the other. Human hands make Kala/Lanakai/Cordoba/etc just like on Pono's. Some steps are facilitated by jigs, molds, etc, but in the end, there's humans making these things, and not an injection machine (plastics aside).

On the one hand, it plays fine. The intonation is not exact but it's pretty close. I don't think it's because of the nut. I'll probably compensate the saddle when I lower it to fix it after I find a set of strings I like on it. I bought Pono because I was looking for a solid acacia and it sounded better to me in recordings than the Kala. And even though the nut is less than perfect, I cant say it plays badly, and it does sound nice.

On the otherhand, if/when I upgrade, I don't see another Pono or Ko'olau in my future, unless I can play it first. The music stores were I live don't carry higher end ukes so... probably I'd have to look on vacation, or maybe do a custom where I won't get the "hand made variance" line if something isnt made right.
I wouldn't want to say anything that might make someone feel bad about their uke, but it seemed like you have been there ever since you posted the first thread. I'm sorry that you have some issues with it. I hope that it works out on the end, but if it were me, I would send it back. But, you need to do what makes you feel good about it, not what anyone else tells you to do.

Why did you take it to a tech instead of the store? Did you order online? Are you the first owner?

I don't think the response from Pono is weird. They have authorized dealers who take care of this and you should send it to them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to say anything that might make someone feel bad about their uke, but it seemed like you have been there ever since you posted the first thread. I'm sorry that you have some issues with it. I hope that it works out on the end, but if it were me, I would send it back. But, you need to do what makes you feel good about it, not what anyone else tells you to do.

Here's the thing.

If I send it back at this point, they send it to Pono, and Pono decides if it's a "flaw". If it's determined not a defect, I'll have to eat shipping ($60), and a restocking fee ($40?). John from Pono has already said I shouldn't worry about it, which means he's saying it's not a warrantied defect, so I'd be eating the shipping, and the restocking fee, and as someone pointed out in the other thread, the one that replaces it could have the same or other issues.

If I keep this one, I have a known state. The buzz is fixed, I like this particular wood grain pattern, it's playing ok, and the only wonky thing is the nut, which isn't really causing a problem with the play, and unless you're looking for it, you probably wouldn't notice.

I paid $427 for it shipped, and to get it exchanged would cost me another $100. I might be able to get the restocking waived, but then it would still be out $60 to the shipping. It doesn't seem to be a winning proposition for me, and the gain is somewhat debatable in value.

If I bought it from a local music store, it would be a much different evaluation. But my local stores don't carry higher end ukes, so I have to order. I do support my local stores when they have what I'm looking for but they can't carry everything.

Here's the thing.

If I send it back at this point, they send it to Pono, and Pono decides if it's a "flaw". If it's determined not a defect, I'll have to eat shipping ($60), and a restocking fee ($40?). John from Pono has already said I shouldn't worry about it, which means he's saying it's not a warrantied defect, so I'd be eating the shipping, and the restocking fee, and as someone pointed out in the other thread, the one that replaces it could have the same or other issues.

If I keep this one, I have a known state. The buzz is fixed, I like this particular wood grain pattern, it's playing ok, and the only wonky thing is the nut, which isn't really causing a problem with the play, and unless you're looking for it, you probably wouldn't notice.

I paid $427 for it shipped, and to get it exchanged would cost me another $100. I might be able to get the restocking waived, but then it would still be out $60 to the shipping. It doesn't seem to be a winning proposition for me, and the gain is somewhat debatable in value.

If I bought it from a local music store, it would be a much different evaluation. But my local stores don't carry higher end ukes, so I have to order. I do support my local stores when they have what I'm looking for but they can't carry everything.
It sounds like you have made your decision, and that is what it is. So good for you. I hope you enjoy your uke for a long time.

The best builders use a wood glue as opposed to an epoxy because it will come off with heat or movement. Addressing the issue and re-gluing the bridge is an easy fix compared to replacing a top because it pulled the top wood off as it pulled up. I think that's all he was saying.

All non-plastic uke's are hand made. There's no Uke machine, where you push a tree in one end and it spits out a uke on the other. Human hands make Kala/Lanakai/Cordoba/etc just like on Pono's. Some steps are facilitated by jigs, molds, etc, but in the end, there's humans making these things, and not an injection machine (plastics aside.
Actually all of those brands do use an injection mold nut on almost all of their models and Pono hand makes each nut out of bone.

Spookelele - Isn't there a guitar/string repair shop or repairman in your area? It would cost nothing to have it checked and even they they replaced the nut, it would cost you about $45. At best, it would cost you nothing and you'd have some peace of mind.

If I'm understanding, this, it's not the nut that's the issue. It is the odd groove the nut sits in. It is unevenly cut. And for the record, I wasn't real impressed with Pono's response either. For what they get for their ukes, I'd think they'd have higher quality standards. Curious who you got this from? Good luck.

If I'm understanding, this, it's not the nut that's the issue. It is the odd groove the nut sits in. It is unevenly cut.

Replacing the nut includes cleaning/leveling the slot it sits in. For 40 or 50 bucks, it could be corrected. While I agree that it should not affect the playability, I would still replace the nut if it bothered me, for whatever reason. In this case, I think it would be less risky than returning it to Pono. There's nothing worse than owning an instrument you don't have confidence in, or causes doubt every time you pick it up.

Last edited:
Addressing the issue and re-gluing the bridge is an easy fix compared to replacing a top because it pulled the top wood off as it pulled up.

Here's my problem with that.

Say you bought a car and the wheels fell off. If the manufacturer said, well... they're designed to fall off to keep the axle from bending. Would you accept that? Or would you expect the car to be designed to keep the wheels on, and run without bending the axle?

I do not think it's unreasonable to expect a uke to be able to keep the bridge attached, and not warp/peel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-Vintage-ukulele-Manuel-Nunes-Sons-Martin-Kamaka-Kumalae-/261736501305

Theres one from 1910, that has managed to keep it's top from warping, and the bridge from falling off for over 100 years. We have museums full of guitars, lutes, etc that are hundreds of years old. It's not like.. the technology to make a uke that stays together doesn't exist.

Why would you accept that an instrument is supposed to fall apart to protect itself?

Actually all of those brands do use an injection mold nut on almost all of their models and Pono hand makes each nut out of bone.

The nut isn't cut crooked. The slot it sits in is cut crooked. You can't add wood to fix it, only dig the slot deeper to even it out.
Is that the right fix? I dunno. My understanding is that that bend in the neck is the weakest part of the neck. When neck/headstocks break, that's where they fail.

Baker-iphone-629-300x225.jpg

I'm not sure that cutting that slot deeper is doing myself a favor.

Why don't you send it back to me and I'll replace it for you. Call me at (808)781-9168 or email andrew@theukulelesite.com with your shipping information and we'll have a fedex label emailed to you. When we get it we will send out the new one. Both will be 2 day service so you won't be out of a uke for long.

Why don't you send it back to me and I'll replace it for you. Call me at (808)781-9168 or email andrew@theukulelesite.com with your shipping information and we'll have a fedex label emailed to you. When we get it we will send out the new one. Both will be 2 day service so you won't be out of a uke for long.

Continually impressed with your commitment to service Andrew. I bought an Islander Concert from HMS and, although at the bottom end of the price spectrum, your staff did a phenomenal job in set up, packing and shipping. With the shipping and Canadian exchange it was "more" than I would have paid elsewhere but worth every penny for added confidence. I wish I could afford to buy all my ukes through you :).

Top Bottom