Muting tips, please

His Sinfulness

Reaction score
I am starting to work on some Reggae and Ska tunes, and I am finding muting with my fretting hand very tiring. I struggle with pinkie muting and when I use barre chords with the "press and release" method my fretting hand gets fatigued very quickly. Does anyone have any tips for this technique?

Make sure your shoulder is as relaxed as possible. Squeezing the neck causes the shoulder to tense up if you don't actively train yourself to relax. It's something you'll catch yourself doing over and over again - just relax when you find yourself doing it. Other than that, give it time and your fingers/wrist will strengthen.

I am starting to work on some Reggae and Ska tunes, and I am finding muting with my fretting hand very tiring. I struggle with pinkie muting and when I use barre chords with the "press and release" method my fretting hand gets fatigued very quickly. Does anyone have any tips for this technique?

You can swap duties of the muting with the edge of the palm of the right hand .. (I sometimes use my forearm inside just above the wrist if strumming below....towards the headstock ... the 12th fret on the neck) when your left hand gets stressed...over on the Seasons there was a Reggae Week ...Season 130 .

There are some really good examples...you may have to trawl through a playlist of posts (look on the first post of the thread there will be a link to the playlist)..but you can always PM anyone who has a "mute" that you like or are interested in ...and I guarantee you'll get an answer....

Cheers

CeeJay

Last edited:
You can swap duties of the muting with the edge of the palm of the right hand ..

That's a good point. It may offload some of the pain for awhile, and you'll get to develop both muting techniques at the same time.

I've got palm muting with my right hand down pretty well - I am just frustrated that my left hand is lagging behind on this. Thanks for the advice. :cool:

I use the fleshy part at the base of my right thumb. Not technically muting but I achieve a sort of rythmic percussive chunk sound.

Check out Stu Fuchs tutorial on chunking...I don't have the link but it should be easy to find on youtube.

Top Bottom