How Complicated Are You?

Brenda Wong

Reaction score
I posted a thread looking for page turning device, this prompt me to ask this question:

Uku playing supposed to be casual , you play in on the sandy beach, by the camp fire , carry it on your back riding a bike etc.

So how many of you are turning this casual instrument into a very serious business? I have a specific corner in my living room (see photo)......oh I have to wear 100% cotton shirt so the uku don't slide. It's a very complicated process . LOL

Attachments

• corner.jpg
    corner.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 151
I make it a point to keep it casual. I've ventured into other things over my lifetime, only to get so caught up in it that I've eventually ruined it for myself. I recognize that, and when I began this journey I decided that I would make a conscious effort not to take that route. I pretty much have a uke, a hard case, a gig bag, and a hand full of music that I printed off the internet or copied out of books. I did sort of get caught up buying books there for a while, but after four or five of them, I started feeling like I was wasting my money on books, so I quit that. I left them all in Iowa when I came down to PR for the winter and find that I'm better off without them. When I practice, or play, they are both the same to me, I just put my music on a table, a chair, or even on my lap, and play. Nothing more. So there you go. I'm doing my best to be a minimalist.

I'm like Rllink, not very complicated at all. I just like to pick up my uke and play any time I get the opportunity, so it's usually sitting on my desk when I'm working, on the sofa when I'm watching TV, on the kitchen table when I'm cooking.. (luckily it's a tough uke!).

I love your ukulele corner though, it looks great :)

I grew up in a household with two parents that were professional (meaning, they gigged out and got paid for it) musicians who were also music teachers by day. So, when I pick up an instrument to learn - even something as lovely as the ukulele - I don't just casually do it. So for me, I want to learn and be proficient at it in a way that I can write my own tunes (instrumental or with vocals) and play out with people.

Nothing "complicated" about that. :)

I'm a very serious player (weekly lessons, mostly classical and ensemble playing, trying to sight read etc.) but I try to keep things as simple as possible. I only own three ukes (Kamakas, soprano and concert for reentrant, Ohta-San for low G), I don't buy much in terms of accessories, and I stubbornly refuse to go the iPad/tablet route since my job involves sitting at a computer for 8-10 hours a day working - once I'm off the clock, I don't want to be tethered to a computer! I'm disciplined about it, but not complicated, I guess. Pretty much the only accessories I own for my ukes are cases, tuners and straps.

I'm a very serious player (weekly lessons, mostly classical and ensemble playing, trying to sight read etc.) but I try to keep things as simple as possible. I only own three ukes (Kamakas, soprano and concert for reentrant, Ohta-San for low G), I don't buy much in terms of accessories, and I stubbornly refuse to go the iPad/tablet route since my job involves sitting at a computer for 8-10 hours a day working - once I'm off the clock, I don't want to be tethered to a computer! I'm disciplined about it, but not complicated, I guess. Pretty much the only accessories I own for my ukes are cases, tuners and straps.

only own THREE ukues?? That's a sign of a complicated uku player. ha ha

only own THREE ukues?? That's a sign of a complicated uku player. ha ha

Not compared to most of the folks around here! And I've been playing for a long time. Just check out some of the signatures of those who have joined UU in the last year or two and you'll see what I mean.

Realistically I think three is both the minimum and maximum "needed" - one low G, one reentrant, and one that can go either way in case one of the others is in for repairs (yep, this has happened to me). If I didn't play in groups that required low G parts, I'd probably cut back to one or two, as I am a big believer in getting to know a single instrument really well in order to play it well.

I try not to complicate it. However, I try to challenge myself to improve. We have 3 ukes in my household but only one is mine. I'm hoping to upgrade soon. But once I upgrade, I'll be satisfied. I don't see myself with UAS. The only other uke I may later get would maybe be a banjolele.

I keep my uke right next to my recliner. I can grab it easily. It's very convenient.

Realistically I think three is both the minimum and maximum "needed" - one low G, one reentrant, and one that can go either way in case one of the others is in for repairs (yep, this has happened to me). If I didn't play in groups that required low G parts, I'd probably cut back to one or two, as I am a big believer in getting to know a single instrument really well in order to play it well.

Great philosophy. I agree.

I tend to overcomplicate things. Even when I try not to I usually do. Right now I'm trying to learn thru James Hill's method, do some singing and strumming, learn the freatboard, understand chord progressions, and try to figure out how I'm going to learn songs without looking up the chords on the internet. Oh, and I'm all worried about learning or arranging chord-melody pieces where the primary melody goes to voice so the uke needs a secondary melody to play. Just shoot me. Please.

When I started out I was gonna just play Uke to accompany my singing, and I only had one old Uke. i didn't want to fingerpick melodies at all. But I am a melody player and always have been, so now I fingerpick too. And because of my perfectionistic personality, I began buying a Uke for almost each kind of music that I want to play. So I have what I have and plan to buy only one more, but we'll see . . . I'm still trying hard to keep my playing very casual and fun. I'm more serious with my other instruments usually.

Is there a "supposed to be".

Here's one Ive been wondering. I don't sing. I'm not a very good singer.
I've been told that singing is an integral part of the uke tradition.
If I don't sing, and I just play, am I doing it wrong?

When I asked how complicated are you, I meant do you need all that new toys e.g. page turning device, apps, special lighting, special chair, special strap...... or you just pick it up and strum any where even if you are not wearing the right clothing and the uku slide all over your chest. LOL

When I asked how complicated are you, I meant do you need all that new toys e.g. page turning device, apps, special lighting, special chair, special strap...... or you just pick it up and strum any where even if you are not wearing the right clothing and the uku slide all over your chest. LOL

No. I don't need anything other than the uke to play.

Pretty basic here. I just need my 'uke and a place to sit. I also prefer to use my folding foot rest but I can do with the poor man's version (rest my right foot on the inside of my left foot) in a pinch.

Pretty basic here. I just need my 'uke and a place to sit. I also prefer to use my folding foot rest but I can do with the poor man's version (rest my right foot on the inside of my left foot) in a pinch.

Put in those terms - since I use a strap, I don't even need a place to sit! Just me and a uke. Easy peasy :)

No special page turning devise. I have a tuning app on my phone. No special light. No special chair. I have a strap, but it isn't special and I've never used it, so that was six bucks wasted. No special ukulele clothing. No special ukulele hat. I need nothing special or specific in order to play my uke.

I think a page turner is a bit over the top!

Is there a "supposed to be".

Here's one Ive been wondering. I don't sing. I'm not a very good singer.
I've been told that singing is an integral part of the uke tradition.
If I don't sing, and I just play, am I doing it wrong?

Well, once you start singing someone else is gonna tell you you're not legit unless you write your own songs. Unless you're getting paid, do whatever you want.

It was a complicated question.

Top Bottom