Worth vs Martin - Tenor Strings

Paul December

Reaction score
:confused: Has anyone tried both Worth and Martin Tenor strings?
If so, how do they compare in terms of:
- loudness
- tension
- tone
Also, they seem to have a hint more texture to them. Is that correct.

Martin and Worth both make different recommendations for String diameter. That should probably be considered in this discussion too.

:confused: Has anyone tried both Worth and Martin Tenor strings?
If so, how do they compare in terms of:
- loudness
- tension
- tone

Yes I have actually tested every single different set and gauge of Worth for 4 string (not the 5, 6, or 8 string sets since I have no instruments like that)

Worth makes both Brown, and also CLEAR fluorocarbon strings, and 16 different varieties (sets) of each color, see here:

http://worthc.to/english/w_strings.html

I have found that stringsbymail.com carries almost all of them, if not all of them.

I've tried both brands (also the Martin M600 soprano/concert sets as well as the M630 baritone set), liked them for different reasons on different ukes. However, I find that with Martin M620 Tenor strings, the C string, or 3rd string, tends to go floppy and sound flub-dub-tubby after the strings have settled for about 3 weeks...

Martin strings across the board seem to settle to tuning and tension after about 10 days if your play EVERY DAY for at least 20 mins, and then, once relaxed, they have a lower tension than the first few days when you put them on.

The Worth Brown Tenor set, both low G (BT-LG) and high G (BT) seem to have not only a bit more tension, but a more BALANCED tension across the strings.

I find that most clear fluorocarbon strings have a bright (sometimes harsh, depending on the instrument) jangly tone, whereas the Worth BROWN strings have a slightly warmer tone, slightly sweeter (dulcet) tone, whereby the difference is most evident if you are playing with fingernails or a plastic pick, if you are playing with soft fingerpads, you may not hear the difference....

The Worth Browns also seem to create pleasing overtones that are missed with most clear fluorocarbon strings due to the scratchy treble that is more dominant to the ear.

But all of the above perception can be either mitigated or enhanced based upon your playing technique.

Also, they seem to have a hint more texture to them. Is that correct.

Which strings have more texture? If anything the Worth strings seem to be smoother to me than most others, with the Browns being the smoothest (almost silky even), rivaled only by Fremont Blacklines...but the Martin M620 tenor strings are smooth too...

Thanks for the detailed info, Booli. Very helpful.

Anytime :)

Just to clarify, sometimes you WANT that jangly tone, and if so, then clear fluorocarbon or Aquila Nylguts just might give that to you...

It seems to me that the darker or colored strings have a less brash, less brittle, less cutting sound than the others. This could be good OR bad, depending upon the sound you want. Changing to different strings can be like playing with the bass and treble controls on your stereo.

There is no absolute 'best' string for EVERYTHING. It's all relative to the instrument AND the player.

You are a genuine string Guru Booli

You are a genuine string Guru Booli

:) Thanks Phil.

This string obsession sometimes makes me wonder if anyone else notices the subtle differences that I do, but I like to test all the options I can. By no means do I intend to become any kind of authority on strings, nor do I consider myself in that way at all...

This forum and fellow UU brothers and sisters have helped me, educated me in immeasurable ways (but LOTS), and the least I can do, is pay it forwards, and hope that by sharing, my experience is of benefit to others.

Watching the UU YouTube channel for their coverage of NAMM2015, it seems that there are at least a dozen new string choices now.

Will I ever be allowed to rest? Probably not. Once the new varieties are available from the dealers, I feel compelled to place orders and try them out. :(

Yes I have actually tested every single different set and gauge of Worth for 4 string (not the 5, 6, or 8 string sets since I have no instruments like that)

Worth makes both Brown, and also CLEAR fluorocarbon strings, and 16 different varieties (sets) of each color, see here:

http://worthc.to/english/w_strings.html

I have found that stringsbymail.com carries almost all of them, if not all of them.

I've tried both brands (also the Martin M600 soprano/concert sets as well as the M630 baritone set), liked them for different reasons on different ukes. However, I find that with Martin M620 Tenor strings, the C string, or 3rd string, tends to go floppy and sound flub-dub-tubby after the strings have settled for about 3 weeks...

Martin strings across the board seem to settle to tuning and tension after about 10 days if your play EVERY DAY for at least 20 mins, and then, once relaxed, they have a lower tension than the first few days when you put them on.

The Worth Brown Tenor set, both low G (BT-LG) and high G (BT) seem to have not only a bit more tension, but a more BALANCED tension across the strings.

I find that most clear fluorocarbon strings have a bright (sometimes harsh, depending on the instrument) jangly tone, whereas the Worth BROWN strings have a slightly warmer tone, slightly sweeter (dulcet) tone, whereby the difference is most evident if you are playing with fingernails or a plastic pick, if you are playing with soft fingerpads, you may not hear the difference....

The Worth Browns also seem to create pleasing overtones that are missed with most clear fluorocarbon strings due to the scratchy treble that is more dominant to the ear.

But all of the above perception can be either mitigated or enhanced based upon your playing technique.

Which strings have more texture? If anything the Worth strings seem to be smoother to me than most others, with the Browns being the smoothest (almost silky even), rivaled only by Fremont Blacklines...but the Martin M620 tenor strings are smooth too...

I declare you "Expert" on this topic!

...So, the Martin tenor strings have less tension than the Worth browns?
I just switched and would have guessed the exact opposite.

I declare you "Expert" on this topic!

...So, the Martin tenor strings have less tension than the Worth browns?
I just switched and would have guessed the exact opposite.

Ha ha. Thanks. Not sure what I've gotten myself into :(

Depends how long the strings are on, and how many hours of playtime they have, see my relevant comments in other current threads,

here:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...another-string-question&p=1643460#post1643460

and here:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...another-string-question&p=1643576#post1643576

Top Bottom