Quality Baritone Advice, please

ukulele64

Reaction score
I currently have a nice Favilla that is strung re-entrant and I love it. MY BUAS is flaring up though and I'd love a linear tuned baritone.. I really was curious what baritones others here like. I'm a player first and blues, jazz, roots and rock would probably all see some play on this.

Mya-Moe is very tempting, but, I wanted to hear from y'all.

What would you recommend in the $1-$2k range?

I just picked up a '53 Favilla and have it tuned linear. Love it.

In your price range, you could get a base model from John Kinnard. I've had the pleasure of seeing about 8-10 of his 'ukes and everyone was fabulously done and had excellent tone.

I'd also say Beau Hannam's Player Model would be worth checking, but only if you're able to wait 12-14 months which it doesn't sound like you are.

Hoffmann (formerly Boat Paddle), Pohaku, Howlett, and Kinnard for high quality baritones.

These builders make great instruments in every size.

Last edited:
get another Favilla and use the rest of the money for a nice vacation. I have one of the 19" scale tuned GCEA with southcoast light linear and I love it. Have had Martin,Pono,Gibson, and I like the Favilla best.

I agree with Strumsilly. The Favilla was a favorite of mine; definitely underpriced. I liked it better than my Martin bari. The neck was a little more chunky though.

You obviously know Mya Moe well and I am very pleased with my Mya Moe baritone. I would really suggest you consider, at the very least a (low G) linear tuning, but far better suited to a baritone body size in a G (EBGD) tuning, or a Bb tuning. If you haven't had the chance, take a look at some of the reasons behind this on SouthCoast Ukes site. Dirk does a very good job at explaining the reasons behind different tunings for different body sizes.

Top Bottom