String suggestions for Mahogany Concert Fluke

brUKEman

Reaction score
I have a Concert Mahogany Fluke that I just purchased and it has some funky thin type of string which I don't like. I was thinking of putting on Aquila's as I like the feel of a thicker string. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Aquila's work well on my Flea but wanted to know what the string of choice was for the FLUKE.

As you have found out string choice is a combination of what sounds and feels best to you. Three camps of strings, nylon is largest in diameter, Aquilas are a bit smaller, then florocarbon are the thinest diameter. Sounds like the fluke you just bought has florocarbon strings on it.

If you like the Aquilas on your flea you will like them on your fluke. I have had them on sopranos up to tenor, they are very consistent in sound and feel from one size to the next.

One thing I have noticed on my Schoenhut which I believe has a different type of plastic fret board but looks like a flea, is that nylon strings seem to be softer on the fretboard than florocarbin strings. -- I use nylon strings and have not had any problems with the fretboard I have seen pictures of the use of florocarbon strings that have torn up a plastic fretboard on the same model.

It might just be me, but if it has a plastic fretboard I will always use nylon strings. (I have no empirical data to back up my claim, its just an observation - it doesn't seem to be an issue on real flukes/fleas. Its just something to consider if it has a plastic fretboard.)

One thing I forgot to mention was that the Fluke I have has the wood fretboard, so I don't know if that would change anyone's opinion as to what strings to use.

I got my Tenor Fluke with Aquila strings installed, and I have kept Aquila strings on it.

I really like the mellow tone I get, both acoustic, and through the pickup.

-Kurt​

Thanks Kurt, Aquila's are what I was leaning towards, but wanted to check the authority (this Forum) as to what people are currently using. Stay warm and keep Strumming..........Bruce

I have D'Addario Nyltechs on my Koa Fluke and I like them just fine. They are made by D'Addario from a proprietary Aquila formula and, to me, sound more like the original Aquilas.

FWIW, the D'Addarios are what The Magic Fluke Co. ships all of their Flukes and Fleas with.

We'd love to see some pictures of your new Fluke, btw.

Scooter

I took off a set of Aquila strings, and replaced them with LIVING WATER STRINGS

Personally, I think these make the Fluke sound fantastic, a much ‘clearer’ sound, and without the rasping sound you get when you run your fingers over stings (that you get with Aquilas).

I also swapped the FLEA strings as well, again, a massive difference!

I certainly wouldn’t go back!

Last edited:
Top Bottom