Removable Nuts

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
Are there any Ukes with easily removable nuts? And, if not, why not?

The Nut seems to be a pain for us plunkers to deal with. I like the little nails on the Boat Paddles, so that's at least a partial answer. It seems to me that someone could make a nut that would slide out of a channel or somethin' like that. The strings would probably hold it in place.

Anyway, I was just wonderin' . . . :eek:ld:

Most nuts are easily removable. They are commonly secured with a small drop or two of glue but the bond can usually be broken quite easily with a slight tap at one of the ends. This shouldn't be intimidating at all, so go for it! :)

Im not sure why a nut would need to be everyday removable unless there is work to be done on the instrument.

I saw some guy remove a nut, and it didn't seem all that easy and neat to me. He took a hunk of wood off with it.

I'm not intending to remove one now, but it seems to me that it would help us in lowering or raising the action ourselves, and, if we messed up, we could always slide another one on. The bridge is easy to deal with, so why shouldn't the nut be too.

Anyway, it seems like a good idea to me. :eek:ld:

Nuts are installed with the intention of making them easily removable. If a nut was so hard to remove that it caused damage to the instrument then I'm guessing that either the builder or the repair person didn't know what he was doing. When installing a nut you should use only enough glue to keep the nut from falling out when changing strings, which is hardly any at all.

Last edited:
The Martin ukes in the old days had a fully glued in nuts and saddle..But not these days ..they changed to suit market preferences :D

Last edited:
The Martin ukes in the old days had a fully glued in nuts and saddle..But not these days ..they changed to suit market preferences :D
Yes, that is true

It's my understanding that some manufacturers of inexpensive ukes use the wrong glue when they do glue them in, thereby increasing the chances of taking a "chunk of wood" with it when it's "tapped" out.

Down Up Dick posts a thread about removable nuts..........
That's worse than the Patriot's deflated balls.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Top Bottom