HELP! Changing Strings with drop Pin

I used to have this problem with my guitars that have bridge pins like your uke does. It helps if you understand that the purpose of the pin is not to hold the string in. Instead, it is supposed to hold the knot against the soundboard. The knot or in my case a ball on the end of the string then holds the sting in. The pin just keeps it from moving into the hole and popping out. On my guitar, I can of course put my hand inside and feel it, but with a uke you just have to learn to do it by feel.

Aloha Brenda,
It has happened to me too on certain ukes just as you described
Since I cannot have your uke In front of me it is hard to evaluate the
Issue you may have, while others are being helpful they cannot have
The uke in their hands, strings could have been packaged wrong or
Mislabeled, mis stringed or you are a octave high to the next g.. your friend, stan
While I could give suggestions, I will not at this time, as I don't want
To be responsible if anything goes wrong I would feel bad if you damaged
Your uke in the process. Go to a shop to have your strings installed
By a qualified, luthier..it is cheap and if anything goes wrong they will
Be responsible. . After the strings are Installed check the action on
The 12th fret if it was same as before. .no higher good luck
As for the shooting bridge pins, if the hole is loose put a thin piece
Of fabric as a shim to tighten the pin and set.

Last edited:
Bridge pin bridges work GREAT with steel strings with ball ends. NOT so great with nylon strings without ball ends. As has been stated, the knot you tie in the string needs to catch on the underside of the bridge. The pin only pushes sideways to prevent any chance of the string dislodging. Its a STUPID system on a ukulele. Its good for 2 things however, It looks COOL so its a fashion statement. Also, on a sightly more practicle note the design means that there is NO chance of the bridge lifting off due to string tension.

Try making you own "ball ends" with some sinkers or something such and the bridge pin system will work a little better.

Anthony

Hi Brenda,

One thing to realize is that the pin is not supposed to hold the string tension, instead the bottom of the bridge is supposed to hold the string tension, and the pin merely holds the string in position so that the string knot can rest against the underside of the bridge.

If your bridge pin pops out, it is because the knot is pushing against the end of the pin, which is incorrect installation, as others have mentioned here, you should have a large enough knot, and have the knot pull up against the underside of the bridge, and NOT against the pin.

It takes a little finesse to feel that the string has 'locked' in.

If instead you have the string knot pulling up the bridge pin, there's simply no way that a friction-fit tapered bridge pin is going to resist the approximate 15lbs of transverse tension force from the string, and NOT pop out.

Pls let me know if this makes sense to you. If not, I will try to find another explanation (or video) and provide you a link.

-Booli
Hi Booli
Oasis string is much thinner than the set of Aquila that came with the Kanile'a . I will tie a bigger knot once I work up the courage to make another attempt.
I finally got the Aquila string back in tune after I let it rest for a while so I didn't lose any practise time tonight.
Still want to get over this string changing fear!

I
Aloha Brenda,
It has happened to me too on certain ukes just as you described
Since I cannot have your uke In front of me it is hard to evaluate the
Issue you may have, while others are being helpful they cannot have
The uke in their hands, strings could have been packaged wrong or
Mislabeled, mis stringed or you are a octave high to the next g.. your friend, stan
While I could give suggestions, I will not at this time, as I don't want
To be responsible if anything goes wrong I would feel bad if you damaged
Your uke in the process. Go to a shop to have your strings installed
By a qualified, luthier..it is cheap and if anything goes wrong they will
Be responsible. . After the strings are Installed check the action on
The 12th fret if it was same as before. .no higher good luck
As for the shooting bridge pins, if the hole is loose put a thin piece
Of fabric as a shim to tighten the pin and set.

Nothing is cheap in Canada . :).
I need to get over this fear! First worry is the risk of damaging the uku. Second worry is Oasis string is not available here. If it snap, I am in trouble! :-(

In addition to the stuff about the pin, check the octave of the G string which seems too tight. With a tuner you can end up in a higher octave and it wont show on the display. First make sure your E string is tuned. Then find the note at the third fret which is G, fret the note and play it against your G string. You will notice straight away if the G string in in a high octave and you need to loosen it.
So get ready to try again. First get the knot to sit in the pin as described. Then check the octave of the G string and adjust if necessary. Next get out your spare string so you can see it. Also get a clean handkerchief. Now you are ready to try again. The string should break or pop out before any wooden part will break.
So start again, but when you are winding the tuner, put the handkerchief over the pin, then if it does pop it wont go anywhere, and the string wont fly up and hit you. When the string has settled then take off the handkerchief and check the tuning, keep repeating until you get the string in tune. Soon you will be playing and complaining how long it takes the strings to settle.

So true about complaining strings don't stay in tune! Very very true. Lol

Aloha Brenda,
I've strung alot of ukes, most times a thinner string does not affect the tightness of the peg in the hole, if the pegs and diameter of the holes are consistent, more times
The peg height are the same. ..BUT not always push them in until they feel tightly secure.
Also high tension is not good sign and should be taken seriously, a bent neck is a serious structural damage
And costly to fix, go with caution. . If you think it may be the strings, try another brand and go with
Light or medium tension. Good luck

Last edited:
Aloha Brenda,
I've strung alot of ukes, most times a thinner string does not affect the tightness of the peg in the hole, if the pegs and diameter of the holes are consistent, more times
The peg height are the same. ..BUT not always push them in until they feel tightly secure.
Also high tension is not good sign and should be taken seriously, a bent neck is a serious structural damage
And costly to fix, go with caution. . If you think it may be the strings, try another brand and go with
Light or medium tension. Good luck

Thanks MM Stan (and a much belated Happy Birthday too) . The string felt tight is actually the string that came with the Kanile'a . I took it out to install the Oasis when it failed I put the original back in that's when I notice the string felt tight sitting in F#. It's all good now after I let it sit for a few hours.
Oasis is much thinner but I have not gotten that far to install and tune . I need more time to work up that courage to give it another go. For now I am back to using what came with the Kanile'a. :-(

Last edited:
Hold the pin down firm with your right thumb while you're tuning the string to pitch. You won't hurt anything by pushing down on the pin while you're tuning it up.

Exactly what I do...

I am a determine person! Finally got all four strings changed with the help of my equally determine husband who obviously paid more attention to Aaron at HMS than me.
Thank you for all the great advises and sharing your experience. I carefully read every single suggestion before I worked up the courage. :)
The A string popped once but managed to re-string. These Oasis strings are almost invisible , clear and very thin. I really like the crystal clear sound from these strings. I guess you can say mission accomplished for now unless one of the strings snap in the middle of the night which had happen before on the Kala.
I am now good for at least a few months before I have to repeat the same process again! Have I overcome the fear? Probably not ! The not able to see and feel drop pin system made me very uncomfortable !

Top Bottom