1997 koaloha ukulele

Ukemom2

Reaction score
Hello,

I have had a koaloha ukulele ( date inside says March 1997 and has a round hole) that I won from a radio station contest. I just started taking ukulele lessons with my son to finally learn how to use it. Researching slightly I discovered this is an older model from the maker. Should I get a beginner ukelele for my son ( he is 6) to learn on or use this? Os this one valuable?

Thanks!

Hi Ukemom2 and welcome. Pictures would help, but the earlier KoAloha ukes can vary in value depending on condition. Is it a soprano?

A Makala dolphin would be a good starter ukulele for your son to start on. They are not that expensive and sound pretty good for an inexpensive ukulele. And you wouldn't have to worry about your son damaging it. Good luck!

I would suggest getting a cheaper model for your son.

I have a 1998 Koaloha - it is made out of all Koa, as I suspect yours is. Koaloha built it very lightly - almost too lightly as it has developed a slight dish in the top. It is incredibly responsive and the sound is gorgeous. Is your 1998 valuable? Well that depends what you mean by valuable. I'd guess $450.00-500.00. For a six year old I would recommend a Makala Dolphin, about $45. Plastic body. Pretty near indestructible. They are actually nice little ukes.

Post Edited: I see that two of us posted at the same time and we both recommended the Makala Dolphin. As for my value estimate I was guessing that the uke hasn't been played much and is still in excellent condition. If it isn't or if it is cracked that's a whole other issue.

Welcome Ukemom2 -

My goodness - I bet it is beautiful. I would put it in the "valuable" column. (Pics? Please?)

I have KoAloha's more basic ukulele made from sapele, and I will not let my grandkids start on it at age 6. (Oldest is now four and using a plastic ukulele, but she sings more than plays.)

Even though I know they would try to be careful, I would cringe every time they looked close to putting a ding on it. I would want to promote their enjoyment. I would let them use a better ukulele like the KoAloha as a treat or reward, but I will have them starting on a sturdier ukulele when they are ready to really learn (at about age six, too.)

I started on one which had nice Aquila strings that are easy on the fingers, so I will likely be getting my grandkids a similar one when they are ready. Getting a set up ukulele is a good idea, too, so your son is not frustrated by a bad sounding ukulele. There is lots of information on this here in the forums. (The one I began my ukulele studies on was the Luna in my signature - a good, basic ukulele that didn't break the bank.)

Last edited:
Thank you all for your recommendations. I will go ahead and get him his own. he is very excited and practiced several times yesterday and today already. I know nothing about ukuleles, so I has to measure and look up the size...it is a concert. Here are a few pics...it has an inscription and signed on the inside. DSC_0257.jpgDSC_0264.jpgDSC_0258.jpg

That is likely a rather valuable uke. I'd consider getting a starter uke from someone like Mimms, Uke Republic or HMS ... make sure the description includes "Set up". You can get a good set up, good sounding and playing uke for around $100 ... and the sky's the limit :). Wanna sell your KoAloha? ;)

I'll second the recommendation for Mim. She's a pleasure to deal with and sets up her instruments well. Get a good starter uke, and keep that one on hold for the future. It's lovely :)

Top Bottom