• Ryan Bridgett

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thesillydave

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wee_ginga_yin

Reaction score
Vote for the Gogol Bordello song you liked best.

This did not pan out the way that I wanted it. I thought I could include everyone but
apparently there is a limit of 10 for the number of options you can have.
So I just entered the names as they came up on the playlist and unfortunately
it was Wendy that was last on the list... aaaaarrrrrrrggghhh.

That is not good. I will have to make it up to her.

Perhaps this was not a good idea after all.

Refresh your memories by going to the

Gogol playlist.

Last edited:
I gave Silly Dave and crew my click but I wanted to give Rab - Ryan a huge shout out for his delightfully over the top Start Wearing Purple - you only missed out for your lack of some lovely back up singers Ryan - but it was seriously Gogol!

I gave Silly Dave and crew my click but I wanted to give Rab - Ryan a huge shout out for his delightfully over the top Start Wearing Purple - you only missed out for your lack of some lovely back up singers Ryan - but it was seriously Gogol!

Ryan didn't do "Start Wearing Purple". Like you, he did two other GB songs, not the two on the original list.

You meant MikeOnTheUke (Ultimate Ninja Boi), maybe?

You did some serious Gogol as well Brian, a couple of songs on the Gogol playlist,
and I am remiss on not having commented on them. I need to rectify that straight
away, and thanks for your participation. You are a stalwart of the seasons, and I think
we share a lot of the same musical tastes. We even record the same songs ;-)

Thanks Pa, although like Wendy said it wasn't Start Wearing Purple.

Oh How embarassment - yes I did mean MikeOnTheUke
This one - it was Brill!

Rab - you also did one that I especially enjoyed hence my senior moment.:eek:

Last edited:
Strange thing is that there have been 100 visits to this thread and only 8 votes
Perhaps folks are not familiar with polls on UU?

To find out how set up a poll you have to look under the FAQ.
The advice there is very rudimentary but some facts you should know

1) It says you can have 10 options
2) You can set a time limit for how long the poll runs. I have set it for 7 days
3) I think you can allow for multiple choices. I only set it for one. I was worried about ballot stuffing.
4) You can set to show who has voted for whom. I set it to OFF cos I preferred anonymity.

It might be a useful tool for a host to use if they narrow their best choices down to a short list
and then let the seasonistas make the final decision... I'm all for democracy :)

VOTE NOW

I was a view before I was a vote. I went off to watch the last couple of vids I had not yet seen, and then came back. Others may be doing the same. Hard to vote on stuff you haven't seen ... and it's hard to watch them all within the week ... as you have no doubt recently discovered, dear host. :)

It's good you gave us a bit of time for this. Patience ... this is a cool thing you're doing ... fun to watch the results accruing.

(Just because I'm not on the poll, please don't let that stop anyone from watching my wee contributions and leaving a wee comment. :))

Voted! Good luck everyone!

Dead heat at the moment... who would have thought it?
I hope it resolves to a couple of winners, otherwise I will
have to get out the dart board to make the final decision

4-way tie! That's awesome.

I think I should have added their UU Ids as well as their Youtube Ids.
In some cases they are different. I thought this poll idea was going to
be a disaster, but it is turning out to be quite an additional bonus to the contest.

Perhaps we need the candidates doing a vote for me speech.
I would love to see what Jarvo Chavo would say :)

Last edited:
I feel like I'd just end up doing the final speech from "The Great Dictator" film if we did that. :p

Here is a nice tutorial on some gypsy style strumming that you you can do on Gogol songs.

Give some love and keep the votes coming

If you have more than 10 candidates you can turn the poll into a multiple choice question, column A, Column B, (or up to 5 columns), Under each column you can run a poll for each of the ten candidates in that column. Maybe make it one vote on each column if you want a win, place and show type of poll.

If you have more than 10 candidates you can turn the poll into a multiple choice question, column A, Column B, (or up to 5 columns), Under each column you can run a poll for each of the ten candidates in that column. Maybe make it one vote on each column if you want a win, place and show type of poll.

I would like to have done that, but it was the first time I have tried setting up a poll,
and I have to say I found it rather confusing. Could you point me to a poll that has been
set up like this I would like to see how it looks.

I just took the defaults cos I was afraid I would mess things up if I fiddled about too much.
Anyways thanks for the info it was helpful, and perhaps if other hosts use the polling system
they can use it to better advantage than me

All the best

Rob,

Here is a nice tutorial on some gypsy style strumming that you you can do on Gogol songs.

Nice! That's a YouTube keeper! I can see many a sore finger during the practice if that one :)

The poll closes tomorrow on Monday. Thanks to all who have voted so far
And to those who have still have to cast their vote

VOTE NOW

That gypsy strum is pretty cool ... and not that hard to do once explained. Gotta practice that. And the slap with the index finger on the way down sounded cool when I did it and didn't hurt at all. It's really just a tap with the back of the nail to finish the stroke.

YMMV on different ukes though. When I was learning "White Room" on my Flea (which I now play out a lot), I play it with some drum beats in a few spots. I started off using my first three fingertips. As I was practicing, over and over and over to learn the words and chords, I started to notice my fingertips were really hurting. So I switched to knuckles, and have done it that way ever since. Sounds real cool and doesn't hurt anything, even if I play it a lot.

The other night I tried it on the Les Paul Epiphone I've been playing and coveting at the local Sam Ash store ... and nearly broke my knuckles! I have not yet figured out how to play "White Room" on that thing ... its body is really hard!

I'm paying attention to the advice on how to run a poll ... for future reference ... possibly even for some use in the upcoming (truly!) Season 150 wrap. At the same time, I'm secretly pleased Rob left me off the poll, because though I'd have liked to see whether I'd have gotten any votes, I'm quite certain I would never have won ... and now he is making it up to me. :)

Thank you, kind host! It was super fun making my two GB videos, and "Good Place for a Road" has already proved a winner in jam sessions - nice to have one two-chord song everyone in the room can play along to. I can possibly even use it at the Sam Ash open mic, where we must now (as of last Wednesday) own all rights to our songs. I would have to drop the "Start Wearing Purple" part, but I'm pretty sure Burns has fallen out of copyright by now. :)

Poll is now closed and the winners with 6 votes and 5 votes respectively were
Ultimate Ninja Boi and Mike Flaherty, both were singing Start wearing purple
Both of you were worthy winners but I did have a soft spot for thesillydave
and Chavo Jarvo for their renditions of Pala Tute.

Thanks to everyone who gave expression to their gypsy soul, during the Burns week,
and for participating in the poll and voting.

The hits of the 60's goes to Ninja Boi, and Stevie Wonder goes to Mike.
If you PM me your address I will send the books off to you directly.

Top Bottom