K-brand shopping adventure...

Just to add to the previous post, the K-brand ukes being produced in Hawaii is the main reason of why they cost so much. With a high cost of living and apparently labor as well plus the production is very limited and with demand so high, the prices you see reflect that. An original Hawaiian instrument built in Hawaii by human hands can be a huge differentiating factor to many people, as opposed to Martin and in particular your C1k which was mass produced in Mexico, as noted in the previous post. Just take a look at the Martin's built in their US factory in Nazareth, PA and you'll see that the prices are pretty comparable to the Hawaiian-made ukes. Of the three K-brands you mentioned, Kanile'a has definitely got the smoothest finish since they buff and fill in the pores of the wood and use the same UV-cured polyester finish that Taylor guitars pioneered. Kamaka is legendary in the uke world since they are the original hawaiian-uke, having survived the Great Depression where other uke companies failed, they have been around for almost a century now. And as for KoAloha, they are relatively new, been making ukes since 1995 but have a unique, light-weight construction and sound that many players love, but in my experience not really the best in fit and finish of the K-brands you mentioned. If your looking for a high quality built instrument but don't want to spend the big bucks, I suggest looking at Pono, in my opinion, they have more consistent quality control and fit and finish compared to the likes of KoAloha and Kamaka.

UkerDanno, my apologies if I came across as a little harsh with my post.

I do agree, these MM are wonderful ukuleles and I have no doubt your assessment/comparison was right on the money. My recent purchased of my T1K is a great buy.

The one thing I noticed with the T1k is, it is sounding even nicer as it opens up. As I mentioned, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a C1K, I'm sure it will be a nice investment.

Thanks for your feedback

I would love to visit HMS and have my mind changed! ;-D :shaka:

someday...

Er, I love the stock strings on my HF-3. They are warm, sweet sounding and has good sustain to my ears.

Same with me....have the Kamaka stock strings on my tenor and 8 string and to my ears they sound really good. Also, the people who are brave, or stupid enough, to sit and listen to me play also say the ukes sound really nice.

So, I made a trip across town, almost across town, well, 40 miles worth anyway. To the only store that I know of, in the whole Phoenix metro area that carries Kanilea, Kamaka, Koaloha and Martin to compare with my C1K.

I know this is an old thread, but, wow! How lucky to have a store like that in driving distance! I live in Austin, Tx and the stores here do not stock any nice ukes, generally nothing above $400.

I am looking for the nearest such store to me, and Phoenix may be it!

So I gotta ask, what is the name of the store, please?

Thank you, and I hope you have found a uke that suits your fancy!

-D

Top Bottom