Stagg US10 Soprano

bazmaz

Reaction score
I don't know why but I always like to read the reviews of the ukes at the cheaper end of the market. Initially I didn't think it sounded terrible but yeah as you played on it's definitely worse than anything I've gotten my hands on so far.

Great review, Barry. I own that ukulele and it's intonation is abysmal. I agree with your sentiment. Twenty-bucks buys a decent strap, but not a decent uke.

I had one of those, and along with a Hilo baritone, it was easily the worst ukulele I have ever laid hands on. The Stagg US20 isn't much better by the way, even if it looks better. I used the US10 as a fireworks base on New Year's Eve a couple of years ago, after I had removed bridge and tuners for use as cheapo spare parts.

that reminds me, I can't seem to find a thread about creative uses of a totally junk ukuleles. Just throwing one in the trash is kind of boring.

I wouldn't have thought anything of it if I hadn't read your review, but I've just seen that StringsDirect in the UK list Stagg uke strings for £2.50 a set.

It's a shame that 'instruments' like this are made. Do you think buyers expect them to be playable, or would most see them as a novelty or toy? As you say, you often don't have to spend a lot more to get something where the basics are in place. However, something which can't play in tune or which is hard to play can really put beginners off the instrument. When I was at primary school some friends had steel strung acoustic guitars which were almost unplayable. Someone gave me one which had a concave fretboard, and an action so high it was like trying to play a cheese cutter.

that reminds me, I can't seem to find a thread about creative uses of a totally junk ukuleles. Just throwing one in the trash is kind of boring.

Draw on it! I really want to customise a uke at some point.

burn it, burn it with fire...

Haha, that's an option too. I can't remember who it was but I saw a post on a luthiers site where he bought this cheapo uke which was basically a decoration and then tried to turn it into a playable instrument. I'll see if I can dig it out.

There are a few people who do that. Diminishing returns though.

Whilst you can replace tuners, bridges etc - at the end of the day this is just made from thick plywood. I just end up asking 'why?' when I see that. Or maybe it's just me - don't have the time to invest in something pointless like that.....

And let's not forget the most important thing here - ukes of this quality should NOT be getting out of the factory and into the hands of new players...

I won one of these in a raffle at Burning Uke in Ghent. They had two; the other one was ritually burned at the end of the festival. Mine is now a toy for the kids... Mind you, it's better than the Lidl uke that's stashed away in the same box of toys...

In the end it's absolute shite.

There are a few people who do that. Diminishing returns though.

Whilst you can replace tuners, bridges etc - at the end of the day this is just made from thick plywood. I just end up asking 'why?' when I see that. Or maybe it's just me - don't have the time to invest in something pointless like that.....

And let's not forget the most important thing here - ukes of this quality should NOT be getting out of the factory and into the hands of new players...

I really only meant that it made a pretty interesting blog post, not suggesting that its by any means a course of action to get a playable uke.

I went to Amazon (the US side) and this model is not available here. They do have a Tattoo version w/ the same model # but it is currently sold out. I wasn't interested in buying one but noticed it has no reviews on Amazon. (the US Amazon) Maybe it would be a good place to let opinions be known. (this is also a good place)

The review tells people to avoid ordering on Amazon, I have never ordered a ukulele from Amazon but I would. Because Amazon gives more choices here is an example from an actual recommended uke dealer and what is currently available to me on Amazon.
Choice A: Ukulele only (Kala KA-S)

Amazon Uke which might need set up $53.99 (no shipping charge)

Recommended uke dealer w/ set up $73.99 (unknown shipping charge)

Choice B: Package deal includes Bag, clip on tuner (from amazon it also includes a DVD not included the uke dealer package)

Amazon package deal $83.99 (no shipping charge)

Uke dealer package deal 103.99 (unknown Shipping charge)

Set-Up charges if Amazon ukes need them:
For me $0.00
For some aprox $35

If your uke needs a set up and you don't know how to do one you save $15 going to a dealer. If you do know how to do a set up you save $20 in both instances. If your uke is playable out of the box you spend $20 more than necessary going to the dealer.

I noticed the review also mentioned Mahalo, they are often rightfully the target of criticism. It should probably be noted that Mahalo has moved out of China and into Indonesia according to their NAMM UU interview. This might have a positive effect on their products. (hopefully)

Last edited:
My only experience with Mahalo is my Smiley uke. It was absolute crap out of the box and taught me how to do rough setups myself. While it was not a great deal for a student and pitiful to be sold as an instrument it did teach me a lot. For under $40 I was able to learn how to fix him and after playing him for a bit found he is very responsive to how hes held. Touch the back at all and the volume and tone (slightly wonky) deadens to a muffled mush.

So much learned with so little invested, maybe Mahalo needs a thanks! In the case of why??? Its a Smiley that's why! Ukuleles should play even if they sound a little toyish, Smiley ukuleles can play half decent when setup and should not just hang on display. I leave my smiley sitting out at my shop where anyone is welcomed to pick it up for a bit of fun. In the end if all you have is an ok playing Stagg or other inexpensive ukulele then learn to play the hell out of it when you get a nice instrument in your hands it will be golden.

~AL~

My only experience with Mahalo is my Smiley uke. It was absolute crap out of the box and taught me how to do rough setups myself. While it was not a great deal for a student and pitiful to be sold as an instrument it did teach me a lot. For under $40 I was able to learn how to fix him and after playing him for a bit found he is very responsive to how hes held. Touch the back at all and the volume and tone (slightly wonky) deadens to a muffled mush.

So much learned with so little invested, maybe Mahalo needs a thanks! In the case of why??? Its a Smiley that's why! Ukuleles should play even if they sound a little toyish, Smiley ukuleles can play half decent when setup and should not just hang on display. I leave my smiley sitting out at my shop where anyone is welcomed to pick it up for a bit of fun. In the end if all you have is an ok playing Stagg or other inexpensive ukulele then learn to play the hell out of it when you get a nice instrument in your hands it will be golden.

~AL~

Good point. I'd like a smiley uke. Mahalo is said to be changing their entire product line I hope they keep that one or possibly improve it.

I think it's very expensive for fire wood to be honest better off with some logs ,

No I still wouldn't buy from Amazon, apart from marketplace sellers (actual uke shops).

Buying from their warehouse guarantees no setup, not even them opening the box. Besides, I believe in giving my money to independent music stores who need all the help they can get. Amazon not getting my money on crap ukes is not going to impact on their profits one bit..

No I still wouldn't buy from Amazon, apart from marketplace sellers (actual uke shops).

Buying from their warehouse guarantees no setup, not even them opening the box. Besides, I believe in giving my money to independent music stores who need all the help they can get. Amazon not getting my money on crap ukes is not going to impact on their profits one bit..

How are you getting these "crap ukes" from Amazon (or someplace similar) if they are not getting your money ?

If your message is "support your local music store" that is fine, but you say you are offering advice to people about buying. Shouldn't you say that promotion of uke stores is the primary reason for your reviews ? You seem to come off as a consumer advocate, but if buying from a uke store is your motivation it is like you are part of a business league- without that disclosure. Your reviews appear to me to be of ukuleles that are straight out of the box, wouldn't it be best to compare "apples to apples"? Maybe a review or demonstration of tools used to improve ukuleles would be appropriate if your goal is to help consumers.

When I buy a pair of shoes, I don't expect the shoe store or online dealer to improve them prior to selling them to me. That is the job of the shoe factory. And I believe that should also hold true for ukuleles so if a warehouse does not open the package prior to sending it to me I have no issue with that. The problems with buying a ukulele from a warehouse could possibly be that there is no guarantee of climate control, which can cause an ukulele to require additional work. Lack of humidity can cause the wood to shrink and expose fret wire along the edge of the neck. Too much humidity can cause the fret wire to be pushed up and out of the fingerboard. Those may be issues to not shop Amazon, but are also issues that would justify an instrument being sent back to where you bought it. That said I don't like the idea of buying an instrument that has endured these conditions and been repaired without knowing which repairs have been done with out it being considered and sold as refurbished either.

On a side note- I am sorry if I appear cocky toward you in any way, I noticed last night the reason your posts here can rub me the wrong way is not necessarily because of their content it is because your avatar is a picture of someone so arrogant he thought he could get away with shooting women in the mouth. That combined with being someone who makes an effort to seek things out to criticize has been a little off-putting. (I am now doing my best to compensate.)

Top Bottom