Stagg US10 Soprano

And there was me thinking I was just acting like a guy who reviews ukuleles...

And seeing as there was no alleged motivation other than just wanting to review a uke, I think the review wording makes it all quite clear.

Anyway, Stagg will no doubt be thrilled at how much exposure they've been given now over 5 pages...

Last edited:
I don't want to be a catalyst for this non-argument, but I would like to clarify something that I personally have observed...

Brian1, you seem to be new to this forum (join date Nov '14) and while you may think your points are valid, it seems that, sadly, nobody else does.

I'm not going to vindicate nor denigrate your opinions, but I think it would be wise for you to take a step back, and cut Baz some slack here. Try to APPRECIATE the information he is sharing.

Why is it so difficult to just give him the benefit of the doubt?

Simple stated: Baz is one of the good guys.

Baz has a long standing reputation, a good one, both here on UU and also on reddit.com/r/ukulele, and in fact is one of the few folks who not only performs in a real actual gigging band on a regular basis, with the uke front and center, but also participates and educates by sharing his knowledge and experience, in AT LEAST 3 places I know of, his web site:gotaukulele.com, UU, and reddit. (there may be others that I don't know of)

(Pardon the cliche's) But he walks the walk and talks the talk, and like in this particular review, puts his money where his mouth is. Evidence of this is obvious if you spend the time to look, and read.

I am certain that I am not alone in thinking that what Baz does in his reviews are a great benefit to everyone. Maybe you do not, and that is your opinion and your option to which you are entitled.

I don't know for sure, but it is my impression that Baz also has a 'day job' and ALL he does for the ukulele and it's community is due to his passion for the instrument, passion for sharing/educating, and passion for trying to remedy ignorance.

Running a web site is no small task, regularly shooting, editing and uploading videos are a significant effort as well.

All of these consume incredible amounts of time, and I applaud all that Baz does for us, and I for one sincerely hope that he can shrug off the negativity and continues to be motivated to keep up the excellent work he has done.

If you want to damn him, and make assumptions here on UU, well, then you are going to make yourself an enemy of many here on UU.

DISCLAIMER: My opinions are my own, and neither Baz nor anyody else put me up to writing this above.

If you disagree, that is your right, and more power to you.

If you want to enter a tail-wagging contest, have fun doing so alone, because I simply don't have the time or the interest.

Last edited:
Broli Thank you for the kind words of advice, the last time we spoke about my opinions you commented that they were wise ones.

I maintain I did not disagree with Maz's reveie although he did make every effort to make people reading this thread believe I did. I even mimicked his vulgarity saying this uke was "s**" however apparently that was lost in all of his less than specific damning of comments I did not make. For example in the post above yours he still seems to be implying that I disagree with his reviews. To my knowledge I never have. (publicly) Nor, do I believe I have ever called his reviews anything but reviews. It does not matter to me that even when his reviews call themselves reviews as he states in the post above yours the last two I saw with that title open with "this is not a review" and then gave a short commercial for the custom e-uke his friend builds. (because he stated up that up front) He also stated This is not a review in his Lava strings review. (again I have not issue with that, although I did see it as one)

I did and do disagree with the idea that someone should not consider buying a ukulele on Amazon.com for reasons I showed my math for earlier in this thread with an example of buying a Kala KA-S. If you would care to weigh in and show me where I am in error in those comments it would be welcome.
I for one sincerely hope that he can shrug off the negativity and continues to be motivated to keep up the excellent work he has done.

What negativity are speaking of ? If your are implying it was from me could you please give me the topic ?

Because this sounds like some sort of warning ?
If you want to damn him, and make assumptions here on UU, well, then you are going to make yourself an enemy of many here on UU.

are you saying it is a good thing I did not "damn" him. (or please let me know where I did)

Broli Thank you for the kind words of advice, the last time we spoke about my opinions you commented that they were wise ones.

I maintain what I said, in context in that conversation. However, please let's not blend different topics. Also please understand that what I'm saying here in no way has intent to diminish anything that you have said previously elsewhere. I stand by my words.

Brian1, it appears to me that in this thread that you are upset because you have been misunderstood, and I can empathize with your frustration. Your repeated attempts to clarify yourself are met with failure, making things worse. Even asking for clarification from others is met with further dissatisfaction.

I truly wish that I had magical peacemaker skills, and could appease the angst on both sides, but alas, I am still learning.

I have to apolozige, and ask you to please forgive me, because I lack the mental energy, focus and verbal skill to offer the answers you seek. After all, I am only human, and despite my attempts at self-improvement, I am NOT perfect.

Deciding right or wrong is not for me to say, for who am I? I am nobody. I am not an authority, nor do I wish to be one.

So while this may not be a satisfactory answer to your justifiable questions, I would please ask you to give this topic a rest for a while.

I've had a very rough day today, and honestly, I'm just tapped out.

Maybe down the road I can help, maybe the answers will be otherwise revealed to you (and me both) in time, but right now, please, let's all be friends and try again later.

Thank you for understanding.

-Booli

Here's the crux of it as I see it.

I review a uke bought from Amazon - the review makes that patently clear.

Later in THIS discussion thread, the topic of buying from Amazon comes up and I say that I wouldnt do that. Brian1 sees something so illogical his blood pressure goes through the roof - I mean - how on earth can I review a uke bought from Amazon when I don't like buying ukes from Amazon?????

It's all really simple actually - (and I explained it) - the uke was bought from Amazon for the very simple reason to review their best selling ukulele. Kind of impossible to do it the other way. So yes, whilst I would not recommend others buy from Amazon direct (marketplace sellers excepted!), I DID do that in order to make the review happen.

That's it - really, that's it.

Does not follow that the whole point of the review was to warn about Amazon (although that warning naturally is part of the buying experience I had).

And with that Brian1 has an issue. It's really not that important. Not that important at all and in no way changes my opinion of the uke itself.

For there record I disagree with your views Brian - I don't think the pictures of the uke would in anyway give it away (nor think it matters). I don't care about your maths or whether it would be $0 for you to work on setup - many buyers are scared of setup and there is no getting away from the fact that Amazon don't offer it. That added to the fact that this should not have left the factory - all add up in my mind as perfectly valid reasons as to why I PERSONALLY would not recommend the sort of beginner buyer this uke is aimed at should buy from Amazon direct.

Yet, still - all unimportant - you've created a s** storm (there I go with that vulgarity again) over the supposed difference of opinion in the fact I don't recommend buying from Amazon, yet actually bought this from Amazon.....

Good grief. Just let people read the review and make their own minds up. If they really like the idea of the uke they can always try and buy from a reputable seller and or work on setup themselves - good luck to them.

I truly wish that I had magical peacemaker skills, and could appease the angst on both sides, but alas, I am still learning.

It is very kind of you. Trust me, I am not bothered by the situation. Not offering an second point of view on topics is much more of a relief to me than endearing myself people scattered around the world on the internet. Please don't feel like you need to be a peacemaker in this thread, I tried that myself I don't think it is in the cards. I have been rather busy today, I have stopped back to check the posts on UU and I have only been responding to posts that mention my previous statements. I am an adult, with a real life, plenty of friends and family that loves each other regardless of things said in this thread I doubt I will be deeply effected. Like Bazmaz I take what I say seriously- obviously neither of us likes to have our intentions misrepresented, I don't think I have done that, but I am not trying to pick a fight here. I do feel there is a point of view that has some alternatives that are not widely mentioned on UU and I feel that they should be offered for consideration.

Here's the crux of it as I see it.

I review a uke bought from Amazon - the review makes that patently clear.

Later in THIS discussion thread, the topic of buying from Amazon comes up and I say that I wouldnt do that. Brian1 sees something so illogical his blood pressure goes through the roof - I mean - how on earth can I review a uke bought from Amazon when I don't like buying ukes from Amazon????

It's all really simple actually - (and I explained it) - the uke was bought from Amazon for the very simple reason to review their best selling ukulele. Kind of impossible to do it the other way. So yes, whilst I would not recommend others buy from Amazon direct (marketplace sellers excepted!), I DID do that in order to make the review happen.

As for the point above, yes I will admit I was having a little bit of fun at the expense of your minor hypocrisy. (Saying don't buy from Amazon like I did. I didn't find it side splitingly funny but thought it was a light enough poke to not offend anyone. FTR I do not think this discredits you as a reviewer.) We have been over this before but I will refrain from using the dead horse smiley thingy.

Does not follow that the whole point of the review was to warn about Amazon (although that warning naturally is part of the buying experience I had).

And with that Brian1 has an issue. It's really not that important. Not that important at all and in no way changes my opinion of the uke itself.

Again you are repeating yourself. Amazon is not the only place that sells that uke. But, because I have no issue with anyone buying from Amazon I don't have an issue with YOU buying from Amazon. Infact if that is the uke that you feel you must review I would tell you directly don't spend more money than needed find it at the best price, look on Amazon. Can we be done with that now ?
For there record I disagree with your views Brian - I don't think the pictures of the uke would in anyway give it away (nor think it matters).

Okay, I will let the viewers at home decide for themselves with a picture used to advertize that uke next to all of the others that will come up during the search for the word ukulele.(you can go to Amazon and see the others)
Stagg.JPG
I don't care about your maths
Or in other words I should not confuse you with the facts, because your mind is made up ? (that is an expresssion where I am from please don't take it personally)

or whether it would be $0 for you to work on setup - many buyers are scared of setup and there is no getting away from the fact that Amazon don't offer it. That added to the fact that this should not have left the factory - all add up in my mind as perfectly valid reasons as to why I PERSONALLY would not recommend the sort of beginner buyer this uke is aimed at should buy from Amazon direct.

Early on I brought up the point of if it is a review of Amazon or the uke this could have been settled much earlier, but instead I am forced to repeat myself time and time again this time in all caps:

I AGREE THIS IS A BAD UKE AND SHOULD NOT BE BOUGHT FOR PLAYING THE UKULELE.

Hopefully, this time you will see this comment. HOWEVER, I was not doing "maths" on the sale of the reviewed item, I was doing it on a more likely quality item that can be bought from respected dealers and on Amazon. (I can not find the reviewed item for sale from respected music shops) I thought that it might have been a better choice to review, and possibly recommend or even compare the two. But it is your blog, and you can do whatever you like.

Now, pay attention because I am about to give you a compliment and I don't want you to miss it:

I believe your review of this ukulele was a service to those who are looking to make a decision about buying a first ukulele. At the time I suggested that perhaps you should offer a demonstration of set up I was unaware that you recently have (either before or after my suggestion)So *GOOD FOR YOU* (no sarcasm there) I further agree with you that this would not be worth the effort to set up and want to stress I NEVER suggested it could or should be set up. AND I am not doing that now. (sorry, to repeat myself but I don't want you to have to cover the issue again.)

Yet, still - all unimportant - you've created a s** storm (there I go with that vulgarity again) over the supposed difference of opinion in the fact I don't recommend buying from Amazon, yet actually bought this from Amazon.....

Perhaps "WE" created a "s** storm". I have not checked the view count on the page, but feel sorry for anyone else who has nothing better to do with their time than to read this thread. I do believe if you were open to conversation in the beginning this matter would have only been a blip on the UU radar regardless of its current viewership.
Good grief. Just let people read the review and make their own minds up. If they really like the idea of the uke they can always try and buy from a reputable seller and or work on setup themselves - good luck to them.

That is not very different than what I am saying:
"Good greif. Just let people look at the reviews and show them ALL of their options and let them make their minds up. If they like the ideas of ukes there are a number of places that specialize iin ukuleles, as well as a few places the offer them at a discount."
(my goodness, can you believe my nerve? ^ I am such the troublemaker) - You don't even have to tell them they can get it on Amazon, but please don't try to distort what I am saying when I am saying they can if they choose to.

I would continue by saying that my personal experience buying my first $42 uke (after taxes) required a return trip to a dealer, to buy a tuner, then another to buy better strings, it may be a good idea to get them all at the same time and at the same place particularly if ordering thru the mail. I think that is good advice and please feel free to pass any of it along. (Much if not all of it Im sure you already have)

PS. My blood pressure has been just fine thank you for your concern.

Oh boy....

People - just read the review, says all that needs to be said (in my opinion) about the model in question. Nothing else in this thread really does.

I've seen heated threads go on for many pages on the Banjo Hangout site it's a shame this could go the same way , Barry is a top bloke who spends a lot of time informing the likes of me about all things ukulele and long may he carry on ,,,,,keep it up Barry !

Oh boy....

People - just read the review, says all that needs to be said (in my opinion) about the model in question. Nothing else in this thread really does.

If I am mistaken in my belief that posts in the "reviews" section are open for comment I do apologize. There is a shameless self-promotion section if that is all that was intended.

Course they are open for comment. I'm simply stating that nothing you have commented is particularly worth reading. If people want to read the review, comment on that, tell me they have a Stagg and had a different opinion - GREAT - would love to be told that some others like this uke.

You didnt really do that, you started with guarded suggestions that there were ulterior motives (perhaps - boy may I live to regret typing that).

I think people get your position Brian is my point - dragging this on through even more pages is just Trollish.... And making yourself look foolish...

It's just a review of a particularly insignificant little uke that most people on this forum would probably overlook buying anyway.

Guys, how important is it to "win" this? I'm guessing that nobody is feeling good about the direction this thread has taken.

Okay, getting off the "high horse" now.

Nothing to win. But I won't stand by a suggestion, inference, guesswork or just plain trolling (or otherwise) that I write my reviews for any other reason than I enjoy them kind of gets my back up. Disagree with them all you like of course.

There are a ton of commercial reviews out there, and mine aint some of them. I'd be a rich man if they were (or swimming in gifted ukuleles...)

As for Brian1's aim - no idea to be honest.

Way I feel now, doubt I will want to be sharing them on here again to be honest.

Last edited:
That's what I'm talking about. That is, how everyone ends up feeling bad. I for one enjoy your reviews and would like to continue reading them. That not everyone will agree with them is, after all, something that all reviewers and critics face. However, isn't the point of a good critical review to bring to light the truth and let the chips fall where they may?

Wow, lots of platitudes, sorry.

Couldn't agree more - hence - if the criticism was one of 'you have that wrong, its actually a great uke' or 'hey, i just disagree, I love mine' - that would be cool as cool can be.

No, that doesnt mean anyone isn't free on a forum to say what they like, but equally I don't have to accept what they say, or even bother with the forum any longer if I don't want to.

This has just been a strange tit for tat over a point totally unrelated to the point of the review.

Anyway, the review still stand, as does the way I approach all my reviews. I've satisfied myself as much as I can with how I approach them and trying to be as impartial as I think I possibly can be. That will remain.

Certainly won't allow someone like this to change the way I write - mainly because the vast majority of people do tend to tell me they are balanced and fair. Can't please everyone I guess, but I do wish the discussion would have focussed on the facts of the review.

I couldn't personally give a damn where it came from to be honest. The brand should be ashamed either way, but see no point in reviewing what it 'could have been' when so many people are buying from that source...

And no, I don't think its the same as buying a pair of shoes either... ;-)

If I am mistaken in my belief that posts in the "reviews" section are open for comment I do apologize. There is a shameless self-promotion section if that is all that was intended.

Brian,Re self promotion, if Baz was selling these ukulele's then I would agree with you,but he isn't. Look at all the links on this site you see all the post's about the importance of the set up of a uke. This on a starter uke if not correct would put some folks off ukulele's and that seems your to be gripe. You havn't brought anything to the party but criticism,
My rant over. Graham

I'm not sure Brian1 IS suggesting shameless self promotion... Maybe he is - hard to tell with the passive aggressive stuff, but I don't believe so.

If so - as I say, I'd be a rich man swimming in ukes!

Course they are open for comment. I'm simply stating that nothing you have commented is particularly worth reading. If people want to read the review, comment on that, tell me they have a Stagg and had a different opinion - GREAT - would love to be told that some others like this uke.

I am still waiting for the first person to say they like it.

You didnt really do that, you started with guarded suggestions that there were ulterior motives (perhaps - boy may I live to regret typing that).
I didn't intend to guard anything it was pointed out that you suggested people don't buy from a particular source. Nothing guarded about that.
I think people get your position Brian is my point - dragging this on through even more pages is just Trollish.... And making yourself look foolish...

You continuing to comment to others while I have been out of the conversation I feel is trollish. (in other words if you want me to quit commenting, talking about me is probably not the wisest choice.)
It's just a review of a particularly insignificant little uke that most people on this forum would probably overlook buying anyway.
I agree with that, yet you posted the review here anyway. I was rather puzzled by that choice. (Please don't feel the need to explain the choice I enjoy the occasional mystery)

Brian,Re self promotion, if Baz was selling these ukulele's then I would agree with you,but he isn't. Look at all the links on this site you see all the post's about the importance of the set up of a uke. This on a starter uke if not correct would put some folks off ukulele's and that seems your to be gripe. You havn't brought anything to the party but criticism,
My rant over. Graham
Hi, Gat. I disagree with your statement saying all I have brought is criticism, I even posted praise in all capital letters in one of the posts, but Bazmaz constantly took my comments as criticism, and for someone who is a critic himself I was a little surprised how thin skinned he has been and his responses. The comment about shameless self promotion was aimed mostly at his comment encouraging people to read his review, and said that no other comments in this thread mattered. On a side note, and I am not suggesting anything about anyone here's motivations but, posting on message boards with links to a website to drive traffic to that site or cause people to click on videos that increase the traffic to their You Tube channel is self promotion. On other sites (not saying this one or anyone here is doing this) people often will link to their site with advertizing on it (I don't think Bazmaz's site does) and the profit from that. Others drive traffic to their You Tube account so they can create credibility with companies who want their products reviewed. For example an electronics reviewer might have an average of over 40,000 views and can get companies to send them more expensive electronics to review than someone who only has 10,000 regular viewers. This is why many sites don't like people linking to their own personal websites.
- Some of Bazmaz's early claims were that I had conspiracy theories. I think because he misunderstood the definition of Business league and thought I may have been accusing him of being some sort of partner with some store or something FOR THE RECORD BAZ I AM NOT TRYING TO IMPLY THAT ABOUT YOU. (and I am putting that in caps so you don't feel the need to respond suggesting that is actually what I believe. See below he is not a rich man swimming in free ukes)

So you wouldn't have to be selling or profiting to be promoting yourself sometimes doing something simply because you are trying to gain attention from a market or your peers can be self promotion. I don't think Baz is a professional performer but if he was for example, being recognized as a reviewer could get a foot in the door, and be good advertizing. (If that was what he was doing there would be nothing wrong with it) - Hope that clears things up. I am just clarifying hope you don't take my comments as combative.
:)

I'm not sure Brian1 IS suggesting shameless self promotion... Maybe he is - hard to tell with the passive aggressive stuff, but I don't believe so.

If so - as I say, I'd be a rich man swimming in ukes!

My understanding of passive aggressive behavior would be if I had something against you or your behavior, I might comment about other behaviors to other people (particularly if those behaviors are not a good representation of you.) particularly when someone has been out of the conversation for a while. Normally, I am accused of being too blunt or too to the point.

Seems more than once you have been saying I should keep my comments on the topic of the review, not my defense of buying ukes on Amazon, I am commenting on your review, your review starts with this quote:

People who read this blog regularly will know I have a common rant about the flood of cheap ukuleles on the market. It seems to be an endless tide, perpetuated by low prices on the likes of Amazon.

You also close your YouTube Review talking about how money is tight for people and say that this is the #1 seller on Amazon (and although I don't necessarily believe it to be THE best seller, I do believe some advertizing told you that was the case) But telling the viewer to shop at stores that I have shown can often give the same products (not the reviewed Stagg US-10)

In response to the post where I laid out the math (that was not decidedly in favor of Amazon but does make it much better bet than you suggest) the only thing you took away from that post was that going to either place I can get a set up for free. And you don't care about my "maths".

You say that you are worried about those who might buy a ukulele and be discouraged. I am one of those who bought a $35 (questionable quality) ukulele and if anything it made me work harder at playing and not because it was a poor instrument. The dedicated will learn what is wrong with their ukulele in very short order. Others here have commented that their poorer quality ukes have taught them lessons as well.

But your review makes it sound like poor quality ukes are the only ones available on Amazon. I don't believe that to be the case.

Last edited:
You also close your YouTube Review talking about how money is tight for people and say that this is the #1 seller on Amazon (and although I don't necessarily believe it to be THE best seller, I do believe some advertizing told you that was the case) But telling the viewer to shop at stores that I have shown can often give the same products (not the reviewed Stagg US-10)

But your review makes it sound like poor quality ukes are the only ones available on Amazon. I don't believe that to be the case.

It is listed on Amazon itself as the number one best seller - not advertising - in the sales chart for 'ukuleles'..

Show me a single other uke for sale and shipped by Amazon direct that you consider to be good - and further, a single uke that won't benefit from a setup check before shipping. You know - the sort of check that Amazon DON'T give you.

What the hell is wrong with encouraging people to buy from a real music store and not from an online supermarket?

I didn't read much of the rest of what you typed...

Stagg_US10_Traditional_Soprano_Ukulele__Amazon_co_uk__Musical_Instruments.jpg

Number One Best Seller....

Top Bottom