U-Bass back access panel

Croakie

Reaction score
Hello All,

Maybe someone can help with an issue I have with my U-Bass. How do you keep the back access panel from falling off? This is the one with magnets. I am on my 2nd one, the first was slightly warped and lost one of the metal strips when it fell off. Aside from that this thing is great. Using the original strings which are nicely settled in.

I have one other short-scale, an Ohana OBU-22 that has roundwound metal strings that I really do not like and hope to replace soon with a Kala California Solidbody 4-string. Not sure if I should get the fretted or fretless. Any input?

Croakie

Which bass. I have the mahogany acoustic, Sub-UBass solid body and the California UBass. I haven't had a problem with the magnetic cover falling off on any of them, but I think I remember that being an issue with some of the early ones.

I love love love the California UBass. Oh, did I tell you that I love the California Ubass. Mine is fretted. I love fretless basses and I love the sound but I'm not a good enough player. It's safer for me to use frets. The solid body California UBass is a wonderful instrument. Much more refined than the Chinese version.

The plate issue is on a mahogany. Curious what you meant by not being good enough to play the fretless. Doesn't the fretless have lines? As soon as I find a buyer for my Ohana I wiil be getting a Cali.

Yes the fretless has lines but proper finger placement is very important. It's not enough to be in the area of the fret. Also I don't want to rely on looking at the fretboard.

Where did you buy your Cali? Did you have a chance to try a fretless? I am curious if there is a difference in sound.

My problem with the back access panel on my mahogany UBass is that it's hard to pop it out. First time I tried, I had to use (delicately) the tip of a screwdriver and it very slightly tore the mahogany edge. :(
Using my finger nail is a hassle, but seems to be the only safe way to get the panel out.

I can't use mine as is, it falls off. Wish I had your problem.

Hi Croakie, welcome to UU.
My original U-bass (1009-10) has a screw in each corner to hold the plate on. My fretless has magnets and is tight, like Cturner's. Both are mahogany acoustic.

Could you post a picture of yours? Maybe we could be of more help if we saw it first hand.

Bill

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the welcome. I will try to get a pic but it probably won't show much. It's a mahogany acoustic with the magnets. Since others are so tight I can only imagine the plates are all the same size. The problem may be the routed area for the plate may be a bit larger.

I use some scotch tape to hold the back plate in place. Early spruce mahogany fretless.

Yeah, I guess that would work. Looking for a more permanent solution.

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the welcome. I will try to get a pic but it probably won't show much. It's a mahogany acoustic with the magnets. Since others are so tight I can only imagine the plates are all the same size. The problem may be the routed area for the plate may be a bit larger.
Mine is really tight too, but it is the magnetic attachment that makes it so, not the fit of the panel in the recess.

I haven't had the cover on since I got this thing so I got it out to look at things. It appears that the metal strips on the cover piece are somewhat recessed. If I can find a thicker metal strip, or even better a thin magnetic strip, that may solve the problem. Thank you everyone for your input.

A friend just got a U-bass with the metal strips on the cover. Mine has magnets on both the cover and around the hole. If you decide to put magnets in your cover, check the polarity of each one before you mount them. I put my cover back on 180 degrees from where it was and the magnets repelled instead of attracting.

IMG_20150210_001459.jpg

Bill

Top Bottom