Brand New Aquila Lava Strings - a Test.

bazmaz

Reaction score
Thanks for that Barry. Interesting to see the difference. My all laminate soprano uke and solid body electric are both set up with 'standard' nylgut strings and both overdue for changing according to string-age nazis, although they sound fine to me and hold pitch. Anyway, soon new strings will be needed one way or another. I understand what you mean about the feel of the 'standard' nylguts and I'm interested to try the 'supers' and 'lavas'. Your non-review helps.

I also have a cheap baritone with DGBE strings, two lower of which are wound, and I really don't like the sound. I was considering ditching the uke but will give it another try with all non-wound strings. Probably still DGBE tuning, or possibly dGBE re-entrant. My standard of uke playing, and my ears which ring continuously with loud tinnitus, don't warrant more expensive ukes, so if I can get an acceptable sound by switching to different strings I'll be very satisfied. I also have a new uke on order, again all laminate but this time a tad more up market, in tenor size. It comes with Aquila strings. Not sure whether 'new' or 'standard' but hopefully this time tomorrow I'll know and will be a happy vegemite.

Cheers from South Australia

Thanks Bazmaz. When I read/watch your reviews, it always seems your opinions agree greatly with mine. This being the case, I will surely try the Lava strings. I, too, have always found Aquila Nylguts exactly as you describe. I, too, have tried many string sets over the years and keep coming back to florocarbons. But, after a few years of refusing to experiment further, I'm going to trust your estimation and give these a try.

One thing that doesn't bother me is the wound low G. You're right. The deficiencies you describe are there. The string noise (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) doesn't bother me as it does you and many other ukulele players (guitarists live with it). And I find the fact that they tend to be louder than the other strings can be tempered or even overcome with technique.

I'm grateful to have a discriminating reviewer like you out there.

I've tried to live with the wound strings and can't get my tastes to accept them. Thankfully there are unwound alternatives in fluorocarbon.

I do like these - the jury is out as to whether they will sway me from Fluoros - I doubt it - to be honest, I am rapidly coming to the view that most Fluorocarbons are so close in their tone and feel as to not greatly matter. So easy to open a can of worms on that - just ask people to vote between Worth Clear and Worth Brown -I mean - they are both GREAT strings - is there really that much difference apart from the colour? I dont think so.

In fact having now done a bit of research I've invested a wad of cash in some reels of Fluorocarbon fishing lines which I intend to use for strings. I would wager that in a blind test many people would not tell the difference.

Aquilas though - they make their own material - and I suppose at the end of the day I applaud them for that.

Hi Baz,

Thanks for the review. I've been wanting to try these strings and your review provides some helpful info. Seems like they have been scarce up until recently. Now in the USA you can find the Aquila LAVA strings at Elderly, Uke Republic and Ukulele World (Roy T. Cone's site).

I share your preference for fluorocarbons, and your opinion re: the SuperNylguts vs. Nylguts...

I've taken to using a wound C on re-entrant ukes, and for that I use the classical guitar string made by Thomastik-Infeld (T-I) that is a CF-27 0.027"(which is a WOUND 3rd or 'G' string on guitar), and as such is a chrome flatwound string, and MUCH smoother than the 'polished' or 'smoothwound or 'flatwound' strings sold by Fremont, La Bella, D'Addario or GHS that I've tested.

For a wound low G, I use the T-I CF-30 0.030", which is the same kind of string, but thicker and is the 'D' string in the set. They sell them as singles for ~$6 USD, or you can get the whole set as the part #CF128 for ~$21, for example at this link here.

I cannot stress enough just HOW MUCH smoother these T-I strings are, even moreso than the Fremont soloist wound polished low G that everyone raves about. There is however, still a tiny amount of finger noise, mostly caused by a fingernail on my right hand when fingerpicking. The volume does not seem to dominate other strings I've tried them with (Martin M620, Worth CL, BL, CT, BT, Oasis 'Bright', Aquila SuperNylgut, D'Addario Nyltech).

I've also got the CF128 sets installed on my Yamaha GL-1 guitalele, my Yamaha CG-120a classical guitar, and on my Art & Lutherie Ami nylon cedar parlor guitar, so yes, I like these strings A LOT. :)

Maybe it's worth it for you to look into these T-I strings for your low-G needs?

Personally I find the fluorocarbon low-g strings too floppy and tubby sounding which are typically 0.039". I've tried and tested everyone one I can get my hands on, and no joy for me with a fluorocarbon low-g.

But as you've said, YMMV, and we all like different ones, so no expectations from me, just sharing my experience. :)

Also, I wanted to ask you, what make/model are the gold-colored friction tuners on your Fluke in the photo for your article? I just cant get on with friction tuners (and I've tried several brands), but yours seem to be an upgraded set. (I've seen your videos & blog posts about friction tuners, and thank you for those too).

Ooh - I use Thomastik Infeld on my steel string acoustic guitars!

VERY nice strings!

Re the Fluke - they are Gotoh copies that used to be for sale over here, but can't find them now. Basically identical to those used by Koaloha with multiple parts and work like butter. I put them on to swap out the stock tuners. Cost a few pounds each.

I will have to try these on my banjo uke ,,they have ordinary nylguts on at the moment ,,,or should I go for Flourocarbon ?

I have a set of these waiting to be tried out on my Kamaka pineapple once I'm done with the Oasis strings I have on it now. I don't care for the Oasis much (poor relation to Martin M600s IMO), but they haven't been on long, so I feel like I need to give them more of a chance to settle. But seeing your review, I feel like it's going to be even less time.

Since my post above where I indicated that I have seen the Aquila LAVA strings were available at Elderly, Uke Republic and Ukulele World, I have also just seen that they are now available at Strings And Beyond.

If you use the link in my signature below, you can get free shipping with no minimum order (usually min order for free shipping is $35) and I get credits that I can use for future purchases of my own. So we both win...

I dont like to shill for anyone, but after having spent a small fortune over the past year to test all kinds of strings, I need help to continue funding this process, thus the referral link.

Thanks guys! I've been coveting a set of Lavas for months now. I'd kind of lost interest till now. Booli, thanks for the tip on the Thomastik strings. I used them on my fiddle and loved em. I've been wanting to try lo G again and have been thinking about moving to a wound C, because mine (Aquilas and D'ADAARIOS) have always sounded thuddy. Or maybe it's just that my playing sucks....SIGH...

I actually grabbed a couple sets of these in my most recent Strings & Beyond order. I tossed them on the Gary Yasuda uke that I'm selling. I had Aquila Reds on it, one of my go-to strings which generally sound very good but I don't always like the look. And, being a rather shallow person who does care about looks, ;-) I thought I'd throw a set of the re-entrant Lava's on to give this all koa Hawaiian soprano beauty an extra touch of aloha.

They certainly look fantastic. I love the graphite color. Despite my humor above, I would never choose looks over sound, but I like it best when I can have both. These strings sounded nice on this uke, even better than the Reds. I've tried others on it that didn't work for my ears (Southcoast Soft Medium Lights and another which escapes my memory). It gives very nice volume without overdriving the top on this exceptionally light uke (probably as light as a vintage Martin S0 despite having a larger body).

On a final note, I actually found they settled in relatively quickly vs. many other strings I've tried. And while I'm no @Booli, I've tried my share of strings.

So, while I have only one data point (so convenient, because you can draw whatever line you want through it ;-), I am pleased enough that I may try my other set on the Martin Style 3 Cherry just for giggles.

I've taken to using a wound C on re-entrant ukes, and for that I use the classical guitar string made by Thomastik-Infeld (T-I) that is a CF-27 0.027"(which is a WOUND 3rd or 'G' string on guitar), and as such is a chrome flatwound string, and MUCH smoother than the 'polished' or 'smoothwound or 'flatwound' strings sold by Fremont, La Bella, D'Addario or GHS that I've tested.

For a wound low G, I use the T-I CF-30 0.030", which is the same kind of string, but thicker and is the 'D' string in the set. They sell them as singles for ~$6 USD, or you can get the whole set as the part #CF128 for ~$21, for example at this link here.

I cannot stress enough just HOW MUCH smoother these T-I strings are, even moreso than the Fremont soloist wound polished low G that everyone raves about. There is however, still a tiny amount of finger noise, mostly caused by a fingernail on my right hand when fingerpicking. The volume does not seem to dominate other strings I've tried them with (Martin M620, Worth CL, BL, CT, BT, Oasis 'Bright', Aquila SuperNylgut, D'Addario Nyltech).

I've also got the CF128 sets installed on my Yamaha GL-1 guitalele, my Yamaha CG-120a classical guitar, and on my Art & Lutherie Ami nylon cedar parlor guitar, so yes, I like these strings A LOT. :)

Maybe it's worth it for you to look into these T-I strings for your low-G needs?

Hi Booli, the T-I CF-27 and CF-28 are wound strings with metal core. For acoustic ukes we usually use wound strings with nylon core. Will the tension of both T-I strings be too much for the uke and damage it in the long run?

Booli, thanks for the tip on the Thomastik strings. I used them on my fiddle and loved em.

No problem, I just love the Thomastik chrome flatwound strings. I'd like to try their bass and fiddle/cello strings but the much higher price is keeping me away - and I really have trouble as so why you cant get a set of cello strings cheaper than like $65 no matter what brand (but I digress)

[edit](no, I dont play cello, yet, but might try to build a simple electric cello to mess around with, since I have most of the parts any way - I just love the sound of the cello)

Last edited:
Hi Booli, the T-I CF-27 and CF-28 are wound strings with metal core. For acoustic ukes we usually use wound strings with nylon core. Will the tension of both T-I strings be too much for the uke and damage it in the long run?

I dont think we are taking the same strings - I would NEVER in a million years install metal-core strings on an acoustic uke, or any other instrument that was not intended to be strung with steel strings as per the construction/bracing/design by it's maker. I have however put 'nylon' and fluorocarbon strings on various instruments that were designed for metal-core strings, with mixed results (lower volume and needing to adjust the truss rod to compensate for lower tension).

I dont have the link handy (cant find it in bookmarks) but IIRC, the FULL set of CF128 strings (6 strings on a classical guitar @ 25.5" scale tuned EADGBE) has ~75 lbs of tension, which averages about 12.5 lbs per string. (I know it's not exact, but for the sake of a simple explanation)

With a shorter scale like on a tenor, but tuned up a 4th like standard uke tuning for the low-G and C strings, when measured with a luggage scale that I rigged to a 2x4 with a guitar tuner at the other end shows 10.8 lbs of tension for the G string (CF-30) and 11.2 lbs of tension for the C string (CF-27).

Right now I actually have my ukes tuned DOWN to Bb tuning, i.e., F-Bb-D-G, instead of G-C-E-A, which has a sweeter tone to my ears and more sustain, with LESS tension that I measured for standard tuning. So I do NOT think these strings will have too much tension, for if you look at ANY uke string set from D'Addario or Savarez (which are the only makers that actually PUBLISH the tension info, most individual strings on a tenor scale are betw ~10-15 lbs of tension. I am also not using ALL wound strings, on the uke it's either a wound 3rd string or wound 4th string, and only one uke has 2 wound strings for both 3rd & 4th strings.

To be clear, the ones I use as per above - these are sold as CLASSICAL GUITAR strings (nylon and metalwound-over-nylon), and I have actually seen the inner core of these (yes I sacrificed a CF-45 and unwrapped one, and the inner core is composed of dozens of white silken strands, nylon thinner than a human hair (my digital calipers do not have measurements small enough for a singel strand - it wont register smaller than 0.01mm), that are flatwound with the outer chrome wire.

Also, since these are loop-end strings, prior to installation, I clip off the loop-end and some of the 3" long red silk outer wrap and can see the same inner white silken nylon. I then paint a dab of clear nail polish over the end, otherwise the red silk gets all frizzy, and the outer metalwrap wire tends to unwind over time.

I've got these on 4 instruments now, and there's no steel inner wire to be found, the SETS I am using are called CF127 and CF128, as you can see them here:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/class...-chrome-165/?zenid=dg1rn8fspdiiqon35v1e0pfo40

https://www.stringsbymail.com/class...ome-3rd-166/?zenid=dg1rn8fspdiiqon35v1e0pfo40

Maybe you are talking about a different set of strings? Thomastic-Infeld has a very broad product lineup for about a dozen different instruments. (their web site is not helpful in this regard so I have not linked it)

With the inner nylon core, these are similar to all other D'Adddario, GHS, Martin, Aquila metalwound-over-nylon core ukulele strings that I have dissected/inspected, however these 'smoothwound/polished' strings sold by others are like running your fingertips over Stucco or concrete when compared the the 'CF' chrome flatwound T-I strings I have tried, which are not quite as smooth as glass, but have very LITTLE finger noise from the fretting hand.

@equina
- please confirm and report back whether or not you are talking about these same strings that I have described and linked in this thread - Thanks :)

Last edited:
Well - the Lava strings stayed on!

As a test set I didn't know if I would keep them on (I kind of know what I like on certain ukes already) - But I rather like these. I DID however ditch that horrible wound G string and replaced it with an unwound one.

I put on Aquila Lava sopranos on my Flea and I am actually pleasantly surprised. Shallowly, they look cool. I really like the graphite/dark grey color on the Flea with the hardwood fretboard. (They could be Stealth strings if you had a black plastic fretboard!)
As another member said, they seem to have settled in quicker than usual for Aquila strings. Normally I don't like Aquilas in general, but these feel better/ sound better than the old Aquilas that I didn't care for. They sound good, not too brash either. So I think they'll stay on for awhile now. Good job Mimmo.

I put a set of Aquila Lavas on my Ohana concert a few weeks ago, after searching the world over for a set. I have to say I finally have a set of strings I love. The color isn't the greatest, but looks cooler than the white that absolutely everyone else around here uses. They're the slickest strings I've ever used, my fngers can move up and down the neck pretty fast now.

Top Bottom