Season 156 Sell Me Love

Just wanted to show you Max with his $65 hair cut (ouch!).
He is a pedigreed mini poodle which we got when the neighbour moved to a retirement villiage which didn't allow dogs.

He does not look that "mini" to me Pa . He looks a good sized pooch....and very smart in his new attire and trim....unlike our new arrival...Bump , she has a shaved tummy for a negative (phew ) ultrasoundscan and a side shaving for a "girly snip".....strays eh ...what can you do ........Cats or Dogs ...love 'em both.

Last edited:
You can blame Birds Eye and TCK for this.

Birds Eye for posting a Phil Spector song and TCK for posting a "Silly Pop Song"

This is a silly pop song from Phil Spector.
http://youtu.be/QzcnFzbCvKY
that was so great i LOVE silly pop songs!

*whispers* i actually don't think they are silly at all :eek:

Wind problems...ummm , yup I hear that ...
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

you beat me to it!!!!!

our new arrival...Bump
i meant to say, last time you updated us, how are those 2 cats getting on now?

i meant to say, last time you updated us, how are those 2 cats getting on now?

Well, Bump , the new Torty, is bald on the tum and the side having been inspected , detetected , dis-infected and neutered...and is settling in....

Biscuit is viewing this settling in with a degree of " bad smell under the nose disapproving attitude " that prevails with depictions of starchy Maiden Aunts in a Victorian era setting .....so ...er .....relations are ...Frosty ....and occasionally hissy !!

I have a Blue UN Beret and I am not afraid to hide in it .

yes... the love for that uke is one of the best loves Lynda:D
here is a song I learned from Ukesterbrown.

I've loved this song since it was on the radio in my young days (yeah, I really am that old). The "Jesus Christ Superstar" soundtrack was a double LP - and my brother and I used to play all four sides every single day after school - I had every word, note, and nuance memorized, and most of it's still there.

Here's the play's version of Mary Magdalene singing about her conflicted feelings for the title character - she's torn between two very different kinds of love, both of them new to her.

I haven't needed this many takes in ages ... and I'm pretty sure "Take On Me" was the only song for which I tried a song in more different keys (D, as written, Db, C, B). I ended up in Db - playing in D, "capo -1" - tuned down a half-step. (So if you are trying to play along with me, that's why it might not be working for you!)

Has anyone else found you need a different key in the morning than in the evening? I sure do! I had the same problem with "Take On Me" - did a lot of rehearsing late in the day, then tried to make a video in the morning and had to change the key to accommodate my "morning voice".

Well howdy gang here is my entry for this weeks season, not sure if it is a love song, but i love the band and love this song, Markwo did a cover a few weeks ago and i had to have a crack at it :) and it also covers me in the dave thread to :)

Thanks, Hippie Dribble and Tootler. That's very reassuring. I'm really looking forward to getting my mitts on it now!

Well, this could have done with about six weeks' more practice ... and possibly a key change from A to G, which actually is easier to play and sing, but somehow didn't sound right to me ... but it was only suggested to me last night. I fell in love with it (appropriate to the Season), and wanted to do it for you and the person who suggested it.

I did it better in rehearsal than in the 37,000 takes I did. Really I did.

I learned it from this really beautiful version by Daniela and Hanbyul.

Final Entry, "The Hanging Tree" from "The Mockingjay."

Lyrics:
Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
They strung up a man
They say who murdered three.
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight.
In the hanging tree.

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where the dead man called out
For his love to flee.
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree.tree

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where I told you to run,
So we'd both be free.
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree.

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Wear a necklace of rope,
Side by side with me.
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree.​

Last edited:
Thank goodness it isn't 5 yet in Hawaii. This is such a great Season I had designs of doing several songs. Had to go out on the road the first part of the week and then got the flu the second part. Just now back to being human again. Wish I could have worked on this a lot more as I love this song. Tried a basic bass line with a Kala U-Bass.

I had the song I wanted ready by Monday but I was hoping my wife could help with the singing doing that I'm shy so I'll sing out of camera shot, but it was not to be. Here is one of our favorite songs from one of our favorite albums. "Walking To You" by Everything But The Girl.

Here's a Gershwin number- Love Walked In.

I'm working on another song that I've heard referred to as the sexiest song ever written. I'll record that one later tonight when I can turn the lights down low.

Joo - All I Have to do is Dream - I like all your art. Sweet and loving cover.

BEV - For All We Know - What a really nice song. Loved your simple and steady picking. very charming.

Joo - Smells Like Trouble - is the microphone near a speaker or a cell phone? Could be an unshielded cable. Sort of what it reminds me of. Happy to see more of your art!

Wee - Love Will Tear Us Apart - a bit darker than most of the offerings this week. Strong production.

Berni - The Ballad of Damien and Angelina - Great story and message. I was looking forward to an entry from you and am happy to have gotten one.

Bill/Popster - Love me Tender - Very seasonal background. Your performance seemed intimate. 

MarkWo - Almost Like Being In Love - I liked how you got a different sound from a calypso strum. pretty interesting. One of my favorite standards done by Ella. One of those songs that bring sunshine.

Jonathan - Gelem, Gelem - Interesting choice. I know next to nothing about the Romani people so thanks for bringing some of their music mixed with your own.

Liz - Aura Lee - Kept the rhythm of the melody pretty well. Better than me anyways. Get well soon!

AlanDP - Silent Ways - Great whistling. Very entertaining. was that a swing shuffle in 3/4 time? I am getting rusty.

BEV - Baby I Love You - wonderful ukulele shape. Who's song is this? Song has fun theatrically with its imagery. I like your playing too of course.

Linda - Love Makes the World Go Round - really nice vid to go with your instruments. I've always wanted to learn the glockenspiel too.

TCK - Pop Dreck - really nice song. I have no idea what the original sounds like but I like yours.

SillyDave - Let's Do It, Let's Fall in Love - Worth a few listens. great cover. I like this version of the song. who don't love jellyfish.

Chris - Only Love - well done Chris. nice mellow groove.

Eugene and CanoeLady - In Spite of Ourselves - such sweetness. well done you two! You play together so well.

Berni - Blue - the fingerpicking technique is pretty with this vivid imagery.

AlanDP - Rhymes and Reasons - Had me going at first with that other song. hehe

Jonathan - Somewhere Over the Rainbow - I sometimes have buzzing on my plastic uke when strumming too hard. I have had to build up the zero fret also with superglue to reduce it also on a couple strings. Just something to consider and assess.

Rex - If You Leave Me Now - very intimate and present cover. quite emotional

Rex - Maybe I'm Amazed - really well done. Excellent vocals, humorous darring, and simple/strong strumming.

CeeJay - Sweet Painted Lady - dramatic and interesting performance. Your slow and steady rhythm somehow made it less taboo. Your kitten needs some attention.

AlanDP - Romeo's Tune - enjoyable cover. Yet again enjoying your playing and interesting choices. I'll check out the original now.

Rex - It's Only Love - good stuff. Your strong vocals continue to impress me.

Randy - Pineapple Princess - such a sweet quaint song. Got to learn it now!

BEV - Crimson and Clover - happy valentines day BEV! another great video.

Rusty - Song From the Sixteenth Floor - nice width to the accompaniment. interesting song. haha.

Wee - Almost Like Being in Love - what a genuine and sweet song. Love how you played and voiced it.

Joo and Deva - You Are My Sunshine - Nice to meet you Deva. What a wonderful and bittersweet song.

RedPaul - Sonnet 116 - wonderful reading. Sorry about your bum finger. try the thumb strumming stuff for a while. It got boring for me real quick so now I am doing finger picking. Here is to getting better! Happy valentines!

There is still time for more entries. You have until Midnight Hawaiian time, not that I will deny later stragglers due to the usual reasons.

Hah , Thanks , Kitten has been attended to and has a big bald patch on her side ...and is now called "Bump".

Top Bottom