Season 156 Sell Me Love

There used to be a radio station whose tag was: "Love songs, nothing but love songs..."

Here's a succinct song on the subject by Big Star called "I'm In Love with a Girl"
Don't worry, no wavery peewee falsetto, I am octaves below the original..
http://youtu.be/NwU2trv8IoE

Sorry for the lack of introductory video. I just wanted to get things started ASAP. I wanted to still share the inspiration for the theme. It was an interview during one of John's and Yoko's bed ins where he said something like there were enough commercials for violence and not enough for love/peace. I couldn't find the entire quote by itself but here is a snip of it.

Possibly not what you're looking for but it's thrthe love song upon which Kurt Cobain's reputation as a songwriter was built.

Very tough to play chords up the neck and not squish any babies who may be sat on your lap. He was wincing at the bum notes too.

Possibly not what you're looking for but it's thrthe love song upon which Kurt Cobain's reputation as a songwriter was built.

Very tough to play chords up the neck and not squish any babies who may be sat on your lap. He was wincing at the bum notes too.

Umm ...actually , no ..it's not the bum notes (what bum notes ?) but the title and song choice :

"What the hell is Dad singing about ? A gurl.....bleah "

"The Proof of Your Love" - 4K&C
I had a bit of trouble with the clunky guitar capo, and got the chords mixed up near the end because of it. Also, I do not profess to be singer, in any way. I left out the bridge, because my voice can't handle that, kept in the dramatic reading for that purpose.

"The Proof of Your Love" Lyrics
If I sing but don't have love
I waste my breath with every song
I bring, an empty voice
A hollow noise

If I speak with a silver tongue
Convince a crowd but don't have love
I leave a bitter taste
With every word I say

(Chorus)
So let my life be the proof
The proof of Your love
Let my love look like You
And what You're made of
How you lived, how You died
Love is sacrifice
So let my life be the proof
The proof of Your love

If I give to a needy soul
But don't have love then who is poor
It seems all the poverty
Is found in me

Chorus:

**Bridge**
Ooh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
When it's all said and done
Ooh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
When we sing our final song

Only love remains
Only love remains

(Dramatic Reading from "I Cor. Chapter 13(ESV)")

Chorus:​

Last edited:
Today I listened to the latest episode of The Songs Stuck In My Head, which is the name of TCK's radio show. It's so very good. You can listen to a bunch of his shows on Podomatic.com and look for Cloverdale Dave. I find most of my "new" favorite songs from there, and here's one of them.
Love Me This Evening by Stranger Cole & Gladstone Anderson

If I understand the meaning of what you asked w/o context, I was a teacher, not a musician. I taught in Swahili.

Samahani, unazungumza kiSwahili?!

In many languages (I.e Swahili and **Latin American** Spanish) just saying "Do you speak?" is enough to get your meaning across. It's technically slang, of course...

I especially like this song as I first heard it when I was learning to speak Swahili. I only recorded the 2 original verses; people often add to it.

That's really nice. I have a sampler from the Soweta Gospel Choir with that song on it. Never thought I'd hear it anywhere else. Cool!

Samahani, unazungumza kiSwahili?!

In many languages (I.e Swahili and **Latin American** Spanish) just saying "Do you speak?" is enough to get your meaning across. It's technically slang, of course...

That's a generalization I wouldn't have made about Swahili, but I can't dispute it.
I would have used kusema kiswahili or kufahamu (to speak/say; to understand) as very common words to get the meaning across. I knew many people who tried too hard and ended up using vocabularies larger than the native speakers. For my students, a tribal language came first, then Swahili, then English. If they were lucky enough to go to high school, they would learn a "foreign" language. One of my students once smiled a big smile at me and said "we are linguists". And yet he had no shoes.

I would not claim to speak it now, as there has been no reason to speak it for 45 years, but I will always retain some, as it was used all the time, not just in the classroom. My son speaks Nepali. Go figure.

We should get back to the "love song" topic.

Another question, does the international anthem of the Romany people, "Gelem Gelem," count as diplomatic. If I get to #5 I was thinking of redoing it in a Hungarian Folk style (Me sem Rom), on a Hawaiian instrument. Seems very diplomatic to me...

To love something or someone you must accept them first. In the spirit of the seasons, there is no reason to ask. Just go for it!

Righty ho then ...This goes to BEVOMU 's credit in the scale of things ...

Collaboration between The Bouncing Baby Bev and the Misery Wot Is Jarvo....Bev done all the hard work and singing and chord out working and strumming the Tenorry Ukey lellelele ......I just shook a bit of an egg and wafted a few mando notes....She's dead good in't she ??

I always wanted to play a Bazooka.......Borzoi,Saluki....Ouzo, Saki....Zorba's Thingy...... all I ever got was a Mandolin

Last edited:
Top Bottom