What was your SECOND uke?

cptdean

Reaction score
I'm just starting out on my first ukulele purchase, and I know I'll make the best decision I can based on what I currently think is a good blend of price, features, and name. But, like every other venture, I'm sure I'll have a much different mindset a few months after I buy, and that will lead me toward something new.

In other words, I doubt my first Luke will be my last.

I've seen a load of comments from established members to newcomers that "X" or "Y" brand/model would make a great "first" ukulele. My question is, what was your SECOND uke? The one you bought after you knew a little better what you were doing, or after you felt your tastes matured a bit.

Thanks!

It took me until my *fifth* uke to figure out what I needed - the first four got re-homed pretty quickly. The fifth was my Kamaka HF-2 concert, which I've played almost daily since I got it 5+ years ago.

(The previous 4 ukes, in order of acquisition: Ohana SK-10S, vintage Columbia mahogany soprano, Koaloha Pikake soprano, Kamaka HF-1 soprano.)

Last edited:
I started off with an LU-21, and after a few months I made the jump to a KPK -- solid wood, good price, Jason was great to work with.

I've owned quite a few ukes since then, but I don't know that I've ever been more excited than buying my second uke. Great thread.

My second uke was a Covered Bridge, Claro Walnut Body and Western Red Cedar top. It was one of richest sounding ukes I've played. While I have regretted selling it, I am enjoying the journey of rotating in and out of ukes (a necessity as I'm limited to 2-3 for the time being, though I can temporarily go above that). I've already owned 17 ukes and have been playing about 18 months.

I would agree with Janeray. You're still pretty clueless with uke #2. Mine was a pink Makala dolphin, which I found appealing and cute but ended up being rehomed pretty quickly because you don't know what you're doing yet. Uke # 8 or 9 was the Kamaka Ohta San purchase after obtaining an intermediate skill level. My advice is to buy well, listen to the wisdom of UU for your first purchase and practice, practice, practice! Wisdom comes with experience :)

My second ukulele was a KoAloha concert. They are really nice instruments, I think.

My second uke was a Kala Soprano with solid spruce top and spalted maple back and sides. I liked it so much I bought the concert and tenor models too. Satin finish and beautiful bright tone.

I have been playing the soprano all night. Love it!

My second uke was actually a slight step down from my first...I wanted something a bit more durable for camping, etc. So I got a laminate Kala. I later gifted that one and recently traded the first. Have fun with the process! I know I am :D

Mine was a Cordoba, a laminate concert size. It was perfect for me at the time. A friend of mine still plays it, with a lo G. The neck was purrrrfect.

My second ukulele was a KoAloha concert. They are really nice instruments, I think.

In fact, about ten high-end ukuleles later, it's the one to which I compare all others.

In fact, about ten high-end ukuleles later, it's the one to which I compare all others.

At NAMM I got to play a KoAloha Pineapple Sundae. Holy Mother of God! I had never thought much of them. Was I wrong. Ever tried one, Steve?

Back on topic......sorry.

The second uke I bought was my Kala Cedar Top. which I bought from MGM, sight unseen, on his recommendation, based on my budget.

More bling than any of my other ukes, but with a sound that is unbeatable.

It was my #1 player, until I got my KoAloha Sceptre, which was my number one until I got the Custom Built Bradford Donaldson Concert Ukulele.

But any of my top 10 ukuleles are wonderful players, and I don't want to part with them for any reason.

-Kurt​

My second uke was the Kamaka soprano in my avatar (Ozzie).It is a sweet Gold Label from the 60's. It has a chop that will hold its own in a bluegrass jam.

The first was a Vineyard solid mahogany concert which I still have. It is my travel uke when I go places that I don't want to take the Kanilea.

Bill

I just got my second uke a few days ago. It's an Ohana TK-50G. I figure it's a good halfway point between my old Lanikai and the Kanilea that I hope to have someday.

I was forlorn after my first uke (a lovely Lyon & Healy Camp Uke Christmas-present uke) had its second bad fall, breaking badly.

It took me months to consider buying another ukulele. Once I started shopping, it took me months to find (on craigslist) my second uke, a used Kamaka HF-1. My KK is just right for me---four years after bringing it home, I play it nearly every day.

My first uke was a Mahalo that I bought on a whim because it looked like my Fender Telecast electric guitar, but within a week of playing it, I found it to be too small. In researching, I learned about sizes and decided tenor is right for me, so I went to a store and bought my second, a Lanikai quilted ash cutaway with electronics that I immediately replaced.

Being caught up in UAS, I went through another four in three months, until I improved enough and traded in three of them for the Kala cedar top by Mim's recommendation. After going through 12 ukes, it's been my best sounding and playing uke, even against my three customs.

Last edited:
My second uke was a Big Island (spalted) Mango. I still have it, beautiful to look at and just a wonderful sound as well.

My second uke was a 1940s Martin Tenor. It sounded and played great and started me down the path of higher end ukes. The only thing I didn't like about that uke was the friction tuners. I didn't want to alter it by putting modern tuners on, so I eventually sold it.

It is a slippery slope, UAS. My advice is to just buy your dream uke and get it over with.

My second was a Kala sitka/leopardwood, all solid tenor. A really nice Uke for the AUS$300ish that I paid. It was sold when I purchased my Mike Periera Sinker Redwood/Black Walnut tenor. At that point I never thought that I'd need more than one Uke, Ha!

Last edited:
This is an excellent thread. The second uke seems to be a gateway into a better and more expensive uke but not neccassarily the absolute right one.

My first was a Gretsch laminate tenor, good uke and I still own it. My second was a Pete Howlett custom koa tenor I bought used off of Doc J right here in the Marketplace. Side note............buying used from members here is a great way to get your first, second, tenth or twenty first uke. Had a very slim neck, came to realize I don't like slim necks. Sold it after 4-5 montns

Last edited:
Top Bottom