Song Help Request Basin Street chords for the average player

spongeuke

Reaction score
Next Tuesday we (Petalukes) are going to jam it up and we need some good sounding and easy chords for Basin Street Blues.
The G7 C G7 Cdim C with a C Dm7 Cdim C response doesn't seem right on the ukulele.
Can you help?

Last edited:
Maguwa,

Pretty darn impressive, especially for for throwing together really quick.

Only thing I would add (and it's TOTALLY splitting hairs!) is that the C7 in bar 5 (not counting the pickup) would normally be played 2 beats of C then 2 beats o f C7. I only say this as I've been playing trombone in dixieland bands for about three decades...

Is that Sibelius? Finale? I use Finale all the time but wasn't aware of a ukulele tab feature. Sorry if this is common knowledge. I'm new around these parts. Really nice work.

Last edited:
blatboy,

Thank you for pointing that out! You are indeed correct. I have updated the file already. :)

I just started using Sibelius 7.5 (the trial version still). I have used Finale for years, but as you pointed out, the ukulele support is lacking... After a few hours of figuring out how to do what I want, Sibelius is proving to a real winner for me. Especially when using a midi keyboard. For Finale, I really like the speedy entry feature when I don't have a midi device.

That is awesome you play trombone! I played trombone for a number of years in the Los Angeles area and a bit here in Tokyo, but I now play ukulele exclusively. I miss the salsa and Latin jazz bands though.... I wish I had more opportunities to play dixieland. Tailgating is loads of fun!

My first thought when I saw it is that it was Sibelius. Hmmm. Interesting. I've never been a Finale fan boy, but I know it so well that I've not strayed. The uke features in Sibelius make me consider dabbling if I ever need to do any uke specific scores...

Yeah... the slush pump. It's much more unforgiving than the uke. It's also more likely to peel paint off walls. Hahaha. I grew up playing a bit of traditional jazz... I love playing tailgate! I'm a member of a latin jazz band too. NYC, while a pain in the butt and getting more expensive and "elite" all the time, is still one of the best places around if you want to do some playing...

That was great, much more than I was expecting. Perhaps it will encourage some of our group to play up the neck. Thank you so much. Getting ready for Fat Tuesday

No problem, it was fun for me too! I know it might be pretty challenging for many as written, but that it is part of the fun! You can play all first position chords of course. The chord voicings I used fit better for a chord melody type arrangement. Let me know how it goes with your group. :)

Top Bottom