Wanted - Kamaka HB-2 DC Bell shape deluxe Ohta-san

yes saw that one but I was looking for a 2nd hand one especially at the moment because the australian dollar against US dollar is really low. currently I would pay an extra $600 in the difference in exchange rate

The exchange rate really hurts. I've never seen a second hand cedar topped Ohta-San. I have the feeling there are not lots of them out there.

The exchange rate really hurts. I've never seen a second hand cedar topped Ohta-San. I have the feeling there are not lots of them out there.
I have to agree with katysax on this, never seen one of these go second hand. And what about the exchange rate Trev? OMG...the ass has fallen out of our dollar. No more uke buying for me indefinitely. Heard such awesome things about these Ohta-San models though and if anyone can track one down it's you mate. Good luck brother.

I have an Ohta-San Koa. It's a lot like a Kamaka Tenor except the neck is little bit shorter. It have a very Kamaka sound. I would imagine the difference with the cedar top would be subtle. Unless you just have to have the cedar topped one the Koa ones aren't that hard to find.

I got mine second hand, but I only ever see the Koa ones go second hand. But Kamaka has been making those for years and has made lots of them. For what it is worth, Kamaka started making them with Gotoh UPT Tuners which is a good thing because the standard Kamaka tuners are terrible. (I hate them because it is hard to get them properly adjusted). I ended up changing the tuners and getting the frets sanded and redressed because the previous owner let the uke get too dried out. In the end it wasn't much cheaper than buying a new one. It's hard when the exchange rate shifts like that.

The sad thing is that when the exchange rate drops again you'll wish you'd bought the stuff you're not buying now.

Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, CA has a cedar top Ohta San for sale. It is new, but I have seen a Cedar top for sale that was second hand in their shop in the past few months. Might be worth it to give them a call. www.gryphonstrings.com

Trevorg888, I was lucky enough to pick up a 2nd hand cedar top through UU a couple of weeks ago, so don't give up hope.

(hello from Tasmania, by the way. I feel your pain over the exchange rate. Also, if total including shipping is over $1k, you are up for GST 10% if new, plus an import duty)

Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, CA has a cedar top Ohta San for sale. www.gryphonstrings.com

Gryphon flatly refused to send this uke to Australia: "Unfortunately, we can't ship a Kamaka out of the US because of the paperwork required to ship anything with pearl out of the country. the headstock inlay is pearl". Couldn't believe the attitude.

Fingers crossed you find one.

Gryphon flatly refused to send this uke to Australia: "Unfortunately, we can't ship a Kamaka out of the US because of the paperwork required to ship anything with pearl out of the country. the headstock inlay is pearl". Couldn't believe the attitude.

Why is that attitude? They know the rules and don't want to break it and potential get the uke confiscated or pay a hefty fine.

Why is that attitude? They know the rules and don't want to break it and potential get the uke confiscated or pay a hefty fine.

Yes Daniel I agree with you..Gryphon one of the most respected guitar shops in the World...and why should they risk paying large fines and the uke could get taken away..who loses out the most...I think the buyer gets nothing....and Gryphon in trouble with everyone.....

just seems like business to me....IMO

My company sells medical products that we do not export. Several Canadian clients have had us ship to US addresses that in turn re-ship to them. Perhaps you could arrange for Gryphon to ship to a re-shipper?

The shipping declarations and the paperwork for this type of thing is really complicated and requires certification from the manufacturer, too. So it's not just a pain in the neck, but it also carries a real risk that no matter how well you've tried to comply and fill out the forms that the instrument will be confiscated anyhow. It's not a great situation for anyone, really

Trev and Katz, there's an easy way around all this stuff: line up one of your US uke friends/contacts to take receipt of the instrument for you - as a middle person - and get them to send it on. That way you not only purchase the instrument you want, but also avoid the mind-numbingly high customs duties we incur in OZ for goods declared at over 1000 dollars.

Trev and Katz, there's an easy way around all this stuff: line up one of your US uke friends/contacts to take receipt of the instrument for you - as a middle person - and get them to send it on. That way you not only purchase the instrument you want, but also avoid the mind-numbingly high customs duties we incur in OZ for goods declared at over 1000 dollars.

Amen. You have hit it on the head.

Maybe they just did not want to do the extra paperwork required to ship anything with pearl out of the country.

The shipping declarations and the paperwork for this type of thing is really complicated and requires certification from the manufacturer, too. So it's not just a pain in the neck, but it also carries a real risk that no matter how well you've tried to comply and fill out the forms that the instrument will be confiscated anyhow. It's not a great situation for anyone, really

I didn't realise this was such a big deal. Is this a relatively new law?
I have no problem with the company doing the right thing, obeying the law etc. If you are going to advertise that you ship world-wide, I figure you are prepared to fill in the associated paperwork. Clearly there is a problem if the manufacturer also has to provide certification - maybe they need to automatically provide it when the instrument leaves their workshop. When you look at the number of US-made ukes around the world with mother of pearl inlays & fret markers, logically this shouldn't be such a big deal.

Anyways Trevorg888, sorry your WTB thread got side-tracked. I think Jon may be onto something with using a middle person, if you know someone well enough to trust them to send such a beautiful uke on to you afterwards ;-)

Thanks everyone for your input i will keep looking and hope that our dollar goes up. I bought a national recently and had to pay an extra $500 for the 50% final payment . I am glad i paid half when our dollar was equal only wish i paid the lot back then

Top Bottom