How much have the Ponos really improved?

I own two.

One about 3 years old, one about 18 months old.

I adore them both.

That would be like expecting your drinking buddies to talk you out of having anothrr beer............not goina happen :cheers::music:

{starts singing "Oh comrades, fill no glass for me"}

I had an older Pono mahogany baritone which was Okay at best. The finish was pretty thick and it had a small kind of hollow sound. I tried several different strings, but it was just Okay. I just bought a Pono gloss mango baritone from Andrew and it is a work of art. It looks fantastic, plays extremely well, and is one of the best sounding baritones I have ever heard. My plan was to get a decent baritone and then move up to a custom. However, I don't think I could do much better, so the custom is out of the picture. My Pono does not have the radius fretboard which I really like, but it really doesn't seem to make a difference on this one. Again, the set-up is just perfect.

I have the satin version, and I agree - I don't want another baritone now: so, maybe buying a Pono will help with your UAS... once you've bought at least 1 Pono in every size... + all their electric ukes... oh and a tenor guitar ;)

I am looking to trade one of my Ukes for another Pono RTC Spruce top ... gonna use it as a re entrant tuned Tenor. Oh, and then I have on order my first Baritone ... RBSH C Spruce ... yeah, baby ... excited!

I am looking to trade one of my Ukes for another Pono RTC Spruce top ... gonna use it as a re entrant tuned Tenor. Oh, and then I have on order my first Baritone ... RBSH C Spruce ... yeah, baby ... excited!

Sounds great! I love the anticipation of a new uke! :)

I own two.

One about 3 years old, one about 18 months old.

I adore them both.

I read your reviews about them, they were great as always! :)

Last edited:
Also, I was wondering, how much of a adjustment the Pono neck profile might be. I've never tried an uke with a radius fretboard before. And I've read that their necks are really chunky, although I like the 1 3/8 nut. What do you guys think?

The neck adjustment depends on you. If you tend to grip your neck, you are going to have to make some changes. If you hold the neck properly then it won't make that big of a difference. The one thing I noticed was that I felt like my had was open a little bit wider on the top two frets. As far as the radius, I've never felt any real adjustment going back and forth between a radius and flat fretboard - it just feels slightly different.

Also, I was wondering, how much of a adjustment the Pono neck profile might be. I've never tried an uke with a radius fretboard before. And I've read that their necks are really chunky, although I like the 1 3/8 nut. What do you guys think?

Pono and Gretsch both have chunky necks. The Gretsch even more so. That's why I love them.

The neck adjustment depends on you. If you tend to grip your neck, you are going to have to make some changes. If you hold the neck properly then it won't make that big of a difference. The one thing I noticed was that I felt like my had was open a little bit wider on the top two frets. As far as the radius, I've never felt any real adjustment going back and forth between a radius and flat fretboard - it just feels slightly different.

Yes this. Just play it. The neck profile and thickness is just a characteristic of the instrument. You play for the sound, not the feel of the neck.

G'est - thank you!!

EDIT - Re the neck adjustment - I grip the neck - terrible technique (if you judge such things) - I LOVE the Pono necks and spent a year on stage week in week out playing one very comfortably.

I've gone through more than a few Ponos of my own, and played dozens. The best of them all is the only one I've kept -- an older PTEC-CE. The new cedar/ebony pro classics looks nicer, and sound much the same. They all sounds great. But the older one I have has a shallower neck profile. Not nearly as chunky as the current ones. And it's a cannon -- really lively for a production uke with pretty thick finish.

Top Bottom