Multiple String Choices for Tenors

peterbright

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Two of the 4 tenors I have ordered have arrived and I would like suggestions for 4 - 6 different brands of strings to try.

Two (Martin K1T and Ko'olau T2 Koa) are "standard tenors", the Kamaka HF-3L is a 19" long neck and the Kanile'a T1 Koa is a super tenor.

Oasis, Southcoast, Savarez, Ko'olau

Oasis,Southcoast HML-RW,Fremont Blacklines and Phds

These days I am increasingly of the view that all Fluorocarbons are pretty much the same thing. Believe there is a lot of Snake Oil about!

The new Aquila Lavas are quite nice and don't fit in that category.

D'Addario's

I'd also consider some Aquila Reds - they're cheap and they're definitely something different.

This is a list of what I have ordered or have received already (some were included with the uke purchase):

Oasis Brights
Worths
Living Water
D'adderio
Dunlop
Martin
Aquila Lavas
Aquila Reds
Ko'olau
Southcoast

The next question becomes: How long to give them a proper try out? With a steel string guitar, I would know the answer is two weeks of daily playing for me anyway.

Hello peterbright,
On the 11th you wrote
""Default Multiple String Choices for Tenors
Two of the 4 tenors I have ordered have arrived and I would like suggestions for 4 - 6 different brands of strings to try.

Two (Martin K1T and Ko'olau T2 Koa) are "standard tenors", the Kamaka HF-3L is a 19" long neck and the Kanile'a T1 Koa is a super tenor.""
I have waited a wee while to answer your first posting question. Why would you order four different tenors all at once? This prompts me to ask.
Do you have a class perhaps at a retirement centre or some such thing.? Myself personally I would be overwhelmed trying to evaluate your new ukuleles and the string choices.
Regards
Jim
PS: The next question becomes: How long to give them a proper try out? With a steel string guitar, I would know the answer is two weeks of daily playing for me anyway
PPS: You are quite right in your estimation of at least 2 weeks evaluation. The Springtime will certainly have arrived in 8 weeks. I hope. HaHa!!

Last edited:
Well 'Congrats' Pete, finally,huh?

When do we get to see some nice pic's?

Anyway, I purchased a T1K before Christmas and didn't need to change strings. I think the Martin strings on it was very nice sounding, so I'll wait awhile before a change. I did have a setup done on it before I purchase it and it sounds/plays fantastic now.

Top Bottom