Reasons -NOT- to buy a Kala KA-ATP-CTG?

Booli

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Interest in a cedar topped tenor has got my UAS cravings up, and I was thinking about the Kala KA-ATP-CTG, as seen here:

http://kalabrand.com/Models/Kala/SolidCedarTopAcacia/DetailsPageSpruceCedarAcacia.html

and in this photo:

UNIT-KA-ATP-CT.jpg

I'm not really a fan of bling, but the rosette and binding are very nice and not overstated to my eyes.

I have several other tenors, and the main thing here is to get my feet wet with owning a cedar topped tenor uke.

So while I'm not looking to spend much more than the ~$267 that this one is going for (and there are plenty of ukes in the $350+ range), by the time you add a case and shipping (or if I buy local, case and sales tax) I'm near $300 anyway.

My birthday is coming in March, so that will help with my lack of UAS funds at the moment.

Also since NAMM2015, they have a 5-string model, which has the option for both high and low G, which adds a wrinkle. I wonder if I can get this model, and if later on, I find that I dont want the 5-strings, is it still playable as a 4-string (removing on of the G's).

[EDIT]: Uke Republic has a video demo of this 5-string version going back to Nov 2014, so my awareness of this model was not until as per above.

I know many fellow UU members have bought one of the ukes in this series from Kala, and I'm putting the call out for you to please share your experiences with how they are holding up over the long term now that you've owned and played them for a while...

Any reasons NOT to get one?

Last edited:
I have the Kala KA-KTG-CT tenor, which is very similar to the model you're looking at-- the soundboxes are virtually identical. I've been more than happy with mine, and have kept it as other ukes have come and gone. Hard to tell someone else they'll like what you like, but I feel like I got a lot of bang for the buck with my Kala. I've had mind for about six years now-- it was the first of many ukes I bought from MusicGuyMike backin the day.

I should probably get my flak jacket out because the large number of members with Kalas will probably pound all over my post. But. You get what you pay for. If Booli was getting his first uke and didn't want to spend too much, I'd say the Kala is a great idea. But he's already got ukes and he's got tenors. A cedar top isn't going to turn a Kala into anything but a Kala with a cedar top. I've bought and sold way too many ukes, and to me the Kalas are just OK. For around $500 you can get a uke that makes tradeoffs but in terms of playability and sound can come close to the very finest instruments. But at the type of manufacture of this Kala, the cedar top is just for show.

Also a five string is a five string. It's its own unique thing. If you want a uke with a doubled string, then fine. But if you want a uke for high G and one for low G, just get a high G and low G uke.

You want to be talked out of it? Wait until you are willing to spend around $500 and get something like a cedar topped Pono that will be a much better instrument.

Maybe someday I'll have some good ukes to compare it to, but until then, I'm quite pleased with my Kala.

I should probably get my flak jacket out because the large number of members with Kalas will probably pound all over my post. But. You get what you pay for. If Booli was getting his first uke and didn't want to spend too much, I'd say the Kala is a great idea. But he's already got ukes and he's got tenors. A cedar top isn't going to turn a Kala into anything but a Kala with a cedar top. I've bought and sold way too many ukes, and to me the Kalas are just OK. For around $500 you can get a uke that makes tradeoffs but in terms of playability and sound can come close to the very finest instruments. But at the type of manufacture of this Kala, the cedar top is just for show.

Also a five string is a five string. It's its own unique thing. If you want a uke with a doubled string, then fine. But if you want a uke for high G and one for low G, just get a high G and low G uke.

You want to be talked out of it? Wait until you are willing to spend around $500 and get something like a cedar topped Pono that will be a much better instrument.

Thanks for your reply. No need for a flak jacket, katysax. In fact your comments are just the kind of reality check I was hoping for, in contrast to all the love letters about Kala.

I have tenors in high G and one in low G, and yes they have a different purpose as we know, but I guess my thinking is that in my mind, the 5-string with the both G's, 'should be the one to rule them all', but maybe this is flawed logic, and the 5-string is neither, and something unto itself as you've said.
My concern was that if I hate the sound, don't bond with it, or cant deal with whatever added string tension for the doubled string, if there is a fall-back position (to 4-string), or do I have to either return or sell the 5-string...

As far as Pono, it seems that there is also lots of love for Pono too, and seems well justified. My problem is that I'm impetuous and impatient and would either have to 'save up' for a uke in that price range (which I've never been good at doing), or put it on a credit card (bad ju-ju there)...

so not sure what to do, or pine for still...:(

I have the Kala KA-KTG-CT tenor, which is very similar to the model you're looking at-- the soundboxes are virtually identical. I've been more than happy with mine, and have kept it as other ukes have come and gone. Hard to tell someone else they'll like what you like, but I feel like I got a lot of bang for the buck with my Kala. I've had mind for about six years now-- it was the first of many ukes I bought from MusicGuyMike backin the day.

Maybe someday I'll have some good ukes to compare it to, but until then, I'm quite pleased with my Kala.

RichM - thanks for your comments. I will keep these in mind.

Bought one. Loved it. Decided my stubby fingers do not like tenors. I loved it so much I bought the exact same concert model. Hard to beat for the price.

List of ukes in signature: Anuenue 1879 Soprano * Compass Rose Walnut Tenor * Covered Bridge Walnut Concert * Michael Dunn Maccaferri Tenor
Eastman EUC3 Concert * Gold Tone BUC Banjo Uke * Kala KA-KTG-CT Tenor * KoAloha Super Concert
Ludwig Wendell Hall * Mainland Red Cedar Soprano * Martin 1930 Style 0 * Maui Music T-4KDLX Tenor
Luis Feu de Mesquita Amigo II Ukaferri * Oscar Schmidt 1920 Soprano * Dave Talsma 3K Concert

A little sarcasm. Huh?

Great looking ukulele, except for the gloss finish. I'm mighty tempted by it, too. My first uke was a spruce top Kala tenor that I got from MGM. It sounded great and I wish that I could have kept it.

In that price range, Mainland makes a beautiful cedar top. Something to consider, if you are fond of the rope binding, which I totally am :)

List of ukes in signature: Anuenue 1879 Soprano * Compass Rose Walnut Tenor * Covered Bridge Walnut Concert * Michael Dunn Maccaferri Tenor
Eastman EUC3 Concert * Gold Tone BUC Banjo Uke * Kala KA-KTG-CT Tenor * KoAloha Super Concert
Ludwig Wendell Hall * Mainland Red Cedar Soprano * Martin 1930 Style 0 * Maui Music T-4KDLX Tenor
Luis Feu de Mesquita Amigo II Ukaferri * Oscar Schmidt 1920 Soprano * Dave Talsma 3K Concert

A little sarcasm. Huh?

Ha! Well, Richm, if you ever want to part with any of your "not so good ukes" keep me in the loop ;)

Didn't Old Phart buy a five string (of a different brand) and immediately after disappear from this forum?

Coincidence or not?

!

Jeff

I remember that too. Where is he?

Maybe a sub-$500 5-string opens a one-way door into the Twilight Zone....(cue theremin music)

After talking to Mim about a year ago, I bought that model in the cutaway preamp/pickup version. It is the best sounding and playing uke I have owned, even against my three customs. I traded in three lesser ukes for it, which made it about $190 from the original $370. It's the only uke I take to gigs.

Kala Cedar.jpg

What katysax says, word for word. A Kala is a Kala. I, too, have owned a few of them and been disappointed every time. Booli, you're too accomplished and too serious about your ukuleles to buy one that simply looks great and has all the features on your wish list. You can do two things. Wait and compromise. If you get something like a Pono, as katysax suggests, maybe you trade the slotted headstock for better intonation (I consider this a trade UP). I don't think the Kala is for you.

In fact, if you do wait, you may find something used that is better for the same money.

Last edited:
Hey Booli, for the price range, I like most Kala's in fact one of my favorite ukes from the early days is a kala concert cedar top.

while I understand what the previous poster said about kala's I actually find them just fine for their PRICE. And I have never been particularly impressed by Pono.

I think that as a musician, someone like you can and should be able to appreciate many instruments at their corresponding price points. I remember when I started in classical guitar, handing over my factory made Cordoba guitar to a CG maestro, and he blew me away with the sounds he made...

So I'm afraid I can't talk you out of it... I for one love my Kala Concert, although I must admit i bought it with an upgraded bridge and nut. I also bought MusigGuyMic's Commemorative spruce top from HMS but that was more in honor of Mike, than my needing yet another Kala. ;-) I is the only slot head ule I have and I must say I like playing it from time to time.

Oh and regarding 5 string, I have an 8 and a 5 string, and I think I prefer the 5 string as it adds a low G combined with the re-entrant g in a nice low key\melow way.

You can check out my initial impression of the Ohana 5 string here

Last edited:
I'll come in here.

There is nothing wrong with Kalas, nice enough instruments and pretty (see note below) reliable on the whole. I've played and owned ukes by them from across their range - up to what was top of their line (the solid Acacia ones).

But... They don't really do it for me. I find them a little bland sounding and one dimensional. The woods don't feel like wood to me - almost like they are trying to look too perfect if that makes sense.

As I say, nothing wrong with them - but they just don't light a flame for me. I think there are increasingly a number of brands now at this price point which excite me more is all I can say.

Now - to qualify that a little - looking at the Kala line up for 2015 things look more exciting and I am rather looking forward to trying their Elite series. Hope I am not disappointed.

For me Kalas are like Fords of the car world - available everywhere, well priced, reliable enough, but not really that exciting.

(Re- reliablility - pretty good but a host of Kalas I have been in contact with did have niggling little finish issues - busted clip on an EQ hatch, tuner screwed in on an odd angle, gaps in binding... None of them major, but enough to annoy me. Granted though, that can happen with pretty much any uke..)

I think the net/net, Booli, is you're not going to get an answer to do or not do. Instruments are a very personal thing, and as this thread proves, some people bond with an instrument and some do not. Myself, I have sold three ukes that many would consider holy grails, but I was left shrugging my shoulders trying to figure out what the big deal was. At the same time, I have had the pleasure to own a couple of lower priced ukes (my Kala and my Mainland) that deliver consistently. Maybe I got lucky and got the best examples of those models; maybe there's something about the tone and playability of those instruments that just work for me.

I have some excellent instruments that were justifiably very expensive. But I also have some excellent instruments that were quite reasonably priced. A uke doesn't know how expensive it is. With mass-produced instruments, there is probably a greater chance that corners were cut or substandard building processes were used for efficiency. That's where either trying before you buy or working through a reputable dealer becomes important. I don't think Mike worked any particular magic on my Kala, but he probably wouldn't have sold it to me if he didn't think it sounded good.

I'm certainly no Kala apologist or fanboy; this is the only one I've ever owned. If it's the only good uke they ever made, so be it, but it's definitely a good uke.

Top Bottom