WTB - Risa Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthomas

Reaction score
I'm just looking for a quiet practice uke to use with headphones at home. Any size would work, although smaller may be better for me, both for cost and portability if and when I decide to travel with it. Still, if you have a stick of any size you want to part with, please let me know.

I own two sticks bought used here in the marketplace, both disappoint me with frets that look like they were flattened by previous owners attempts at fixing something. I contacted a member here know to have bought a brand new stick and he assured me there are no such mutilated frets on a factory bought stick.

My first stick a 2nd gen soprano with geared tuners hummed when plugged in really bad. This was corrected easily by shielding the jack area with metal tape. The 2nd stick I own a 1st gen Concert size has further signs of a previous owner filing and/or scratching on the fretboard along with flattened frets. I would wonder if it was wear from bending but this flattened area extends to the zero fret as well.

In short buy a new stick spend the extra money or end up with a couple of crappy sticks instead of one good one. ;) Wait out a 2nd gen as the mods made from the factory to the 2nd are well worth it. If you decide to buy a used stick ask for closeups of all the frets before sending any money.

One other thing the Risa stick is not active you will need something to power the headphones. Wow time flies I had one of these when they first came out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321657521404?lpid=82&chn=ps Used to use it with an old Harmony Strat. I think they were around $60 then. I wouldn't pay that now there are many headphone amps much cheaper and guitar multieffect pedals that do much more. I use a Digitech RP360 but its not very portable at all and I wanted the USB streaming to record to computer if wanted. There are many small headphone amps sold now by VOX as well as others. So many choices that are fairly cheap.

One other thing to keep in mind is the only thing to change in size on the Risa stick is the scale length. The actual body size is the same and the whole thing is tiny due to not having a headstock.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the incredibly informative reply. I've been browsing around the forum for quite a while, but only recently decided to get a Risa to add to my collection. I was aware that I'd need a headphone amp, but the information about humming jacks and filed frets are new to me, and nothing I would have even thought to ask about. My only other transaction in the marketplace was for a Kamaka Pineapple that ended up being even better than the seller had indicated, but like every transaction in life "let the buyer beware". I have to wonder if fretting problems are common on new sticks, and owners are trying ill thought out fixes for factory problems?
I still am interested in a used Risa stick if anyone is offering one in excellent, unmodified condition, and I suppose now knowing they are all largely the same physical size, any size will do. I will investigate buying new however.

I bought two sticks here and had no issues at all.

Size does matter because the length between the frets vary in size from a soprano to a tenor. Which is why I have a couple. I like playing both length scales.

I have no issues with my risa, they do have lower frets which I do prefer from the factory.
And the older model one which I have, I do not have issues as well.
Buying used may sometimes be buying with issues, why would someone sell a good uke...
But you get lucky with gems some times, good luck

I bought one barely used here at a slight discount. I have been really happy with it, both in it's electric and acoustic presence. Yes, you can definitely play with almost no noise, and it sounds great through my PocketPod amp modeler from Line6. I have not restrung it since I got it, and that looks a bit challenging, but still really enjoying it - probably more all the time.

Oh, and you can just throw it into a suitcase. With an interface to an iPad or my PocketPod, I got the whole deal in very little space.

I got it a year ago December a few days before Xmas, so I gave it to my kids to give to me. When I unwrapped it and took it out of the box, my oldest said "Dad, why did they only send you half of the ukulele?"

Last edited:
One thing I don't like about Risa is the saddle. Its a complicated design that breaks easy. There is no adjusting the saddle to change the action. My husband fashioned a new saddle out of bone and raised the action so I could pick without constantly hitting the fret board. At 5' tall the Risa tenor is a good fit for me and I would recommend it to anyone.

Good choice - fine ukes for practice - plus mine lives in the car - perfect backup uke for when out on gigs. What never ceases to amaze me is that it can live in there and on the rare occasions I get it out, it's always bang in tune!

Also would like to vouch for no issues with a used soprano risa stick.
I'd also add that these make enough sound unamplified that it can be played unplugged in a quiet environment eg. hotel room.
when I opt to play through headphones I use this: http://www.amazon.com/Danelectro-Honeytone-N-10-Guitar-Mini/dp/B000B6DHAS
a headphone amp without the speaker will run about the same price. So only advantage to a dedicated headphone I see is super portability which may be of use if you're backpacking great distances.

I enjoy Aquila reds on my soprano. The thing that's hard getting used to is which tuner tunes which string. Change one at a time then there will be no need to move the plastic saddle at all.

The low G broke twice in the same place behind the uke between the crossover bar so I put on the high g and never had an issue since. The frets are small so being flat there isnt much left to recrown. I started this slow process on the concert dropped it and the file and put a nick in the back of the neck got pissed and put it away for now.

I can only think both my sticks suffered from a botched attempt to level the frets for whatever reason. I would think it was fret wear but nylon strings coupled with this flat area on the zero fret points to poor craftsmanship of an unnecessary repair. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?101083-refretting-a-ukulele

Note I'm not calling anyone out just warning you not everything sold here is on the up and up. I could show you the Kala spruce topped concert and the camera angles used to hide its flaws I bought here as well as the older picture of my soprano stick selling for $50 less to someone before me. Could I be pissed... maybe at myself but why bother.

I have plans to refret these sticks thinking taller frets and mod the crossover bar for a low G. When I get around to it. Even hard to play its still a fun little thing. Heavy metal anyone? http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?104491-Heavy-Metal-Risa-stick-thoughts

Sorry for the long read.

~peace~

Thanks to all of the kind UU members and their excellent advice. I just made an offer on a nearly pristine looking Concert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom