This is great....I'm amazed at some of the answers, and am even more confused than before! Some of it is even funny! (I hope you meant to be funny)
It's such a subjective thing, I guess....
I consider Low Range to be - something I can go buy tomorrow, but might regret later, or love it. I have one, have mixed emotions, I didn't buy it.
MidRange - I'm gonna have to think about it for a while, maybe skip eating out and buying nice wine for a couple of months. I think two of my ukes fall here.
Hi Range - I'd have to save up for about two years, not go to the dentist or Dr, and NO wine buying or eating out. I have none of these. Yet.
Stratosphere - some of you guys have one, or two, or three. I'm green with envy. Maybe somebody that really likes me will die and leave me one....someday (JK)

This is great....I'm amazed at some of the answers, and am even more confused than before! Some of it is even funny! (I hope you meant to be funny)
It's such a subjective thing, I guess....
I consider Low Range to be - something I can go buy tomorrow, but might regret later, or love it. I have one, have mixed emotions, I didn't buy it.
MidRange - I'm gonna have to think about it for a while, maybe skip eating out and buying nice wine for a couple of months. I think two of my ukes fall here.
Hi Range - I'd have to save up for about two years, not go to the dentist or Dr, and NO wine buying or eating out. I have none of these. Yet.
Stratosphere - some of you guys have one, or two, or three. I'm green with envy. Maybe somebody that really likes me will die and leave me one....someday (JK)

Oh man! Nickie - I like your explanation so much better than mine. I like how simplified it is and mine now seems way to complicated.

Then let me ask this: what do you think other people mean when they say "mid-range"? Presumably, that's less dependent on one's own situation and hankerings, though still rather subjective. To what extent does that change in perspective alter your answer?

I know that when people talk with each other it is used, but think mid-range is more of a sales term for example Kala has a line of ukuleles that range from under 100 to over 600 the ones between are somewhere along the mid-range. It could also be the price range a certain store has.

To answer the question as you wanted it answered It depends on the person but I think around the 600-999 area. (maybe starting a little lower)

Last edited:
I consider there to be four catagories.

Junk: Ones that I've read nightmare stories about, that i wouldn't consider. Even though I read about exceptions, I think they are hard to find.

Starter ukes: There are a few brands that are reliable to buy a uke, under $100, to see if you like playing enough to stick with it & upgrade. This is where I'm at, now. I'm ready to upgrade.

Nice ukes I can afford: Probably what others consider midrange. I think these are quite nice, and these are the ones I read the most about. Like Nikki said, I'll have to sacrifice some creature comforts to save up, but it's realistic.

Ones I can't afford: These are the ukes I know the least about since I can't justify buying one for the level of playing that I do. I like looking at, and admiring, some customs. But I normally move on pretty fast because it's not practical for me.

Still rather subjective, but to generalize, I think most *other people* I've encountered would have a broader definition of high-end than I do; I've heard people both face to face and on the forum here refer to all models of K-brands as high-end or imply that they are luxury items that they couldn't afford. Considering that my first K-brand (Koaloha Pikake soprano, $375 out the door brand new) cost less than many Chinese imports, I would disagree.

Was thinking more about this:

I think maybe a "You-kalele" can be anywhere from $12-$350. An "Oo-kalele" starts at $200 and goes up. (maybe that makes a difference) :)

Top Bottom