Pono Mango Concerts, yea or nay?

deschutestrout

Reaction score
What do those who own or have owned think of these? And if you once owned and no longer own, why'd you get rid of it? I have a line on one for a good price...hesitant to pull the trigger. Thx!

Can't go wrong with a Pono.

I owned a Pono soprano and concert and, at the smaller scale lengths, the legendarily thick Pono neck was a deal-breaker; interferes with playing. Frankly, the heavy build (esp. if gloss) on smaller scales was off-putting for me, also. Deader sounding than other concerts (e.g Kiwaya) and sopranos (e.g KoAloha, Martin, etc.) that I have owned.

The thick neck on the Pono tenor is tolerable, and the long scale length is enough to move the heavier bracing and soundboard on Pono tenors; these Pono tenors and baritones are stellar instruments.

As with everything online, this is just my opinion from having owned all Pono sizes. G'luck.

PS I have never owned a mango Pono; just mango in other brands and would not again for the various reasons mentioned on the dedicated mango threads. Again, my comments above regard Ponos in general, not mango Ponos.

While I would agree that Pono's building specs are particulary favorable for Tenors and Baritones, the one Acacia Concert that passed through my hands was so nice that I would have loved to keep it (alas, it was ordered for somebody else). At 550 grams, it was only 60 grams heavier than my other Concerts, and I didn't mind the thickness of the neck at all. Soundwise, it came very close to my Hawaiian Koa ukes.

I'd go for it all over again.

I have a Pono Acacia Deluxe concert & a Pono Mango Baritone - and I love them both! The Mango seems, to me, to produce a particularly distinctive tone - personally I love it in the baritone, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about it in a soprano or concert: but that is a purely subjective response. If you aren't able to try before you buy I would listen to the sound samples of the Pono Mangos on HMS (as I find they do reflect the actual tone of the instrument in their recordings). Here's the link to their Soprano sound sample:http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/pono/pono-mgs-mango-soprano-ukulele.html

Pono also makes a Mango concert in Pineapple shape that appears to have a bigger voice than their regular figure 8 concerts. They're out of stock at HMS right now, but were being sold at an unbeatable price. If I didn't have their Pineapple tenor, I would have gone for one of those for sure.

I don't know about their Mango Concerts, but I have a Pono Pro Classic Mahogany Concert and love it! It's very light compared to Pono Tenors and the neck feels like a comfortable round 'C' shape. It also plays very smoothly and sounds really sweet with a set of Living Water Low G strings.

Clicky Linky: http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/pono/pono-mc-pc-mahogany-pro-classic-concert.html

I know Pono Tenors are considered heavy, with chunky necks, because of their truss rods, but with the Concerts not so much, I believe.

I've been kinda hankerin' for Pono Mango Concert myself! :)

I owned a Pono soprano and concert and, at the smaller scale lengths, the legendarily thick Pono neck was a deal-breaker; interferes with playing. Frankly, the heavy build (esp. if gloss) on smaller scales was off-putting for me, also. Deader sounding than other concerts (e.g Kiwaya) and sopranos (e.g KoAloha, Martin, etc.) that I have owned.

The thick neck on the Pono tenor is tolerable, and the long scale length is enough to move the heavier bracing and soundboard on Pono tenors; these Pono tenors and baritones are stellar instruments.

As with everything online, this is just my opinion from having owned all Pono sizes. G'luck.

PS I have never owned a mango Pono; just mango in other brands and would not again for the various reasons mentioned on the dedicated mango threads. Again, my comments above regard Ponos in general, not mango Ponos.

What dat guy said!

Agree with everything said here, also from personal experience, but for the comments re mango as a tonewood. If done right it's a lovely wood on ukes, but I'm guessing the kinda dull sound and heavy build of the Ponos will not do it any favours.

Thanks all! Holstered my guns and didn't pull the trigger on this particular uke...I believe it sold...which works fine as I've already purchased/traded 4 ukes in the last two months .... gotta settle down a bit ;)

No mango for me. I bought one of the last of the Pono PKC-1-E concert ukes a few years ago on the Big Island. Beautiful solid curly koa (top, back, sides), high G, and Koolau strings. I will NEVER give it up. And with this concert, the neck is not too large (thick). Excellent.

Top Bottom