Song Help Request Can someone figure out the tabs/fingerpicking on this song?

Preacher

Reaction score
Hey, Everyone.
With the current discussions of fingerpicking and my own stuttering starts into learning it, I wondered if someone could identify the notes and fingerpicking pattern in this video. The fretting only looks a bit complicated in spots. I realize this guy makes it look easy, but I thought perhaps this would be something for me to shoot for eventually. It's one of my favorite songs, and as I said, this guy makes it look easy. Thanks for the help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwEcFPKEN_o

Hey preacher the guy is playing pretty much a C F and G progression. He is using different voicings of the G chord pattern, ( I couldn't tell it is probably a G7 Chord. You can use normal C F and G7 chord voicings and see how it works.

The finger picking is mostly a three finger roll; although he changes up when changes the rhythm. The left hand melodic work seems to be simply walking down the scale to the next chord. He might be using some Blues scales in there too. Sounded like it but I didn't see it!

I may not have this perfect, but it's close and seems to work:

You Don't Know Me Cindy Walker & Eddie Arnold

Intro: (Slide up to 5 on 1st string) (C), (CMa7), (C7), (C7), (F), (F), (*), (*), *=5545 (I'm not sure what this chord is called or if it's the one he uses)

You give your (C) hand to me (CMa7) and then you (C7) say, "Hello."
And I can (F) hardly speak, my heart is (*) beating so.
And any(C)one can tell (A) you think you (Dm) know me well.
(G7) But, you don't (Bm?) know me. (Dm) (G7)

No you don't (C) know the one (CMa7) who dreams of (C7) you at night;
And longs to (F) kiss your lips and longs to (*) hold you tight
To you I'm (C) just a friend. (A) That's all I've (Dm) ever been.
(G7) Cause you don't (C) know me. (Dm) (G7) (C) (C7)

Now (F) I never (*) knew the (Bm) art of making (Gm) love,
Though my (F) heart aches with (G7) love for (C) you. (Walk up 0, 2, 3, 5 on the 4th string. Low G)
(F) Afraid and (*) shy, I (Bm) let my chance go by.
The (F) chance that (D7) you might love me (G7) too.

You give your (C) hand to me (CMa7) and then you (C7) say, "Goodbye."
I watched you (F) walk away beside the (*) lucky guy
Oh, you will (C) never know (A) the one who (Dm) loved you so.
(G7) No, you don't know (C) me. (F) (G7) (C)

I started out trying to get every change exactly the way he did it, but I started slacking off near the end. At least it's a starting point.

Last edited:
His uke is tuned to a low G. His basic strum is pinch the thumb and A string at the same time and then the inner two strings one after the other. so it it 4/1,3,2. This is what he mostly does. Every now and then he plucks all four strings together. On the first two lines he throws in a CMaj7 and at one point walks up the bass string. I doubt he ever does it the same way twice. The basics of what he is doing are the chord changes and the strum. He also occasionally throws in a second position chord. What he's doing is actually very simple. It's a good example of how to break up the strumming with a few variations, use second position chords and use Maj7 chords for color.

C
You give your hand to me

And you say hello
C7 F
And I can hardly speak

My heart is beating so
C A7
And anyone can tell
Dm
You think you know me well
G7 C D7
But you don't know me
C
No, you don't know the one

who thinks of you at night
C7 F
And longs to kiss your lips

And longs to hold you tight
C A7
To you I'm just a friend
Dm
It's all I've ever been
G7 C
Well you don't know me
F C
I never knew the art of making love
Dm G C
Thought my heart aches with love for you
F Em
Afraid and shy, I let my chance go by
Dm G
The chance that you might love me too
C
You give your hand to me
C7
Then you say goodbye
F
I watch your walk away
F
Beside that lucky guy
C C7
No, you'll never, never know
Dm
The one who loves you so
C F
Well, you don't know me

Wow! You guys are awesome! Thanks for taking time on this.

(Now I need to spend LOTS of time learning how to do it!)

Might be easier than you think

Man, that Clara is a wonderful instrument!

Wow! You guys are awesome! Thanks for taking time on this.

(Now I need to spend LOTS of time learning how to do it!)

It's really valuable to spend time just practicing the finger picking. My advice is

1. Practice finger picking where you just rhythmically pick the bass and then the other three strings. For this song, which is in 3/4 time that would be Bass Pluck Pluck, Bass Pluck Pluck. Also get down Bass Pluck, Bass Pluck.
If you can get that down to second nature you can use it in a wide variety of situations. I suggest just doing that on one chord like a C and then practice doing it with changes.

2. Then you need to learn in 2/4 or 4/4 time Bass, Pluck 3, Pluck 2, Pluck 1, and repeat.

3. Then practice Pinch, Pluck 3 and 2 together, Pinch, Pluck 3 and 2 together. Finally try the Pinch 3,2.

If you get all these to where you have them second nature, you have a wide range of things you can do with finger-picking accompaniment. Then you can start adding syncopation and switching between strums. I'm sure that's all the guy in the video is doing. It is should be easy to pretty much mix it up with finger-picking strums to accompany any song. Then you can start adding in playing the melody and playing syncopated accompaniment patterns and you'll sound like a wizard. As I said I doubt the guy in the video ever plays it the same way twice. You might find this isn't that hard. The trick is to make the picking and plucking as second nature as strumming the strings.

This guys arrangement us a bit "off." I usually play it in Eb, but in C major, the first two bars should be C, CMaj7, C6, C7. That's just for starters. I have it written out somewhere in Eb. I will dig it up and post it.

Interestingly, I accompanied Ray Charles on this tune when I was 16. I will never forget that experience.

I like the C6 Wicked, in fact I prefer it, but I don't think his version is off, just different.
There are almost always more than one way to harmonize a tune. Good suggestion...Thanks.

I like the C6 Wicked, in fact I prefer it, but I don't think his version is off, just different.
There are almost always more than one way to harmonize a tune. Good suggestion...Thanks.

I appologize. "Off" was probably not the best adjective here. I am still looking for my arrangement... I will post it when I find it. It might give some ideas.

(*), (*), *=5545 (I'm not sure what this chord is called or if it's the one he uses)

It looks like a lazy Bb second position without the 7th on the G ...still sound sweet....that's how I like it....

Would that be a Bb9?
...without a root?

No , sorry Jim ,My bad ...it was late and I have misread it as 5565 ...which is my " lazy second position" Bb ..and you play the 7th on the G or 4th string depending on your tuning to make it the complete chord .

Last edited:
I think that, in this context, 5545 is Fm6 (same notes as Dm7b5).

I play the second two bars as F, FMaj7, F6, F#dim7. (Badically echoing the first two bars, up a fourth and with that tension leading into the I, VI7, ii7, V7, I (C, A7, Dm7, G7, C) resolution at the end of the verse.

Thank you Katysax for the strum/pick pattern. It really works well in 3/4 time. Can't wait to try in on other songs.

Top Bottom