New Uke String Broke

UkeInTW

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a brand new uke and received it last night. It is a DaSilva thin body tenor. It came with Worth CT strings (re-entrant). I bought the uke because I loved the sound. The uke has a clear chime like quality with these strings.

However, I was playing it a bit today and then tuned it up (standard GCEA) as the strings were slightly out of tune. Played the uke a bit, all picking, nothing too hard, then set it down next to me and a little while later I hear a snap and see that the G string snapped off from the bridge end. Luckily no scratch to my uke.

The bridge style has the hole perpendicular to the soundboard and the string goes down through the soundboard and the end is not visible. So, not the kind where the string is threaded towards the base of the uke and comes out where the tie is visible.

The strings were new, but had a few players play it prior to me buying it, so was not like they were being played or tuned for the very first time and they had time to stretch. Wonder if this was just a one off case, where maybe a defective string, or if maybe happened to some others with these strings. Suppose it is just a one off, otherwise people would not use them or buy them were it happening more often. But, curious about durability or fragility of these fluorocarbon strings and if anyone else had such problems with durability. Disappointing to have it happen on new strings. Will probably not replace them with the same strings.

Last edited:
Sounds like a bum string, or there was a small nick in it. Don't write off Worths...I use them a lot without issue. I recently has a Martin string break at the bridge...it happens.

Sounds like a bum string, or there was a small nick in it. Don't write off Worths...I use them a lot without issue. I recently has a Martin string break at the bridge...it happens.

What he said. Worth are the gold standard when It comes to florocarbon strings. Play enough and it happens, no big deal.

It happens - with every brand - no big deal - strings are just consumables and not designed to last forever anyway.

Where did the string snap? At the nut end, saddle end or somewhere in the middle?

If not a string defect, there are possible reasons for the snap. If it occurred at the nut end, the nut slot may be too tight and pinched the string during tuning, or the slot has a sharp edge which sliced into the string and weakened it.

If the snap happened at the saddle end, there may be a sharp edge there which cut into the string. It doesn't take much of a slice to weaken a string at the point of slice.

If the snap happened elsewhere, chances are that some prior player may have nicked the string and it finally gave out. It happens when an instrument goes through a bunch of unknown hands.

Hi,

Thanks. Yes, as I stated, on the bridge/saddle end. The remaining knot end, about 1/2 " in length, was still stuck in the hole, so had to push it out with a pin into the body. So, not likely nicked by playing, as the point where it broke was probably somewhere inside the hole, or possibly at the edge of the hole.

In any case, replaced it with some other brand strings, since I dont have any Worth CT's on hand. Will maybe try the worth's another time, as they had a nice chime sound on this uke.

It happens - with every brand - no big deal - strings are just consumables and not designed to last forever anyway.

Exactly. Strings are like dirty socks. Put them on, wear, replace. They're not a permanent feature of the instrument. In fact, the first thing many people do is change the strings on their new ukes to make sure they get a fresh set of their favorites.

Probably had a nick in them, no big deal...just get a set of Martins $5-6 at your local music store, they're the gold standard when it comes fluorocarbons...;-D

Top Bottom