Season 157 The Rainbow is Calling.

So you managed to sort out your recording issues then? What did you end up doing?

Thanks Paul ( is that your name?) for asking!
I tried the different things you suggested ( except test my USB mic on another laptop), and things a couple other seasonistas brought up, one at a time. But still there was this whistling sound. I realised that, over at Audacity, for the Input Mic menu, if I select the option for my external USB mic, the noise is there. If I had chosen the other 2 : Microsoft Sound Mapper and Microphone Array ( SigmaTel High Definition Audio), the whistling noise does not happen! However, it seems to me that my external mic picks up the uke and my voice better, but it comes with that noise. I think it is most likely the external mic ( CAD U1 mic ) that's causing the noise. I will test it on another laptop later...

For this video what I did was, I saved a copy of an audio with that annoying whistling, and I used the noise profile from THAT audio to reduce the noise from THIS particular recording. It helped reduce much of the noise. But you can still hear some muffled shrill noise at the start..frankly that is good enough for me:)

For now, I guess I will use this method of noise reduction if I record with this USB mic.
If not, I will record with one of the other 2 mic options as mentioned. ( those come with noise too...the usual noise that is easier to reduce, not the shrill whistle)

For Fred's Heavenly Maple Syrup week, I will record myself with my iphone!

Thanks again! You've been very kind and helpful!

yellowsubdanger_fullpic.png

Top Bottom