What strings to buy for baritone tuned GCEA?

Mariela

Reaction score
Hello from Mexico! I want to tune my baritone low G and G CEA. My current Aquila strings are very high tension and hurt my fingers to play. Does anyone understand string tension? Are Worth brown strings low tension? Can anyone recommend the best strings for this tuning and strings with low tension?

Last edited:
Thanks. I have Aquila but the tension is soo high. I want to play GCAE cause I am in a band. And I play jazz. Will try Southwestern but since the A and E are down an octave, I guess that eliminates finger picking.

Mainland has the Guadalupe BARITONE GCEA (LOW-G) strings here.

It seems that they are ALL WOUND strings, i.e., nylon WOUND on nylon or some variant of that, and are in fact hand-made.

I've not tried them yet myself. Please report back if you do.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have Aquila but the tension is soo high. I want to play GCAE cause I am in a band. And I play jazz. Will try Southwestern but since the A and E are down an octave, I guess that eliminates finger picking.

Aquila makes a set for Baritone GCEA, are you using the Aquila BARITONE GCEA set?

I have seen them available where ever Aquila strings are sold.

Southcoast Light Linear, available in either no-wound or low-noise round-wound versions. I had them on a Kala sprues and they were VERY sweet. A bit pricey, but worh every quai.

I just tried to order the Guadalupe baritone strings but they want $45.00 for shipping and handling to Mexico. Yikes!
I am currently using the Aquila special baritone CGEA but the high tension makes it unbearable to play.

Aquila makes a set for Baritone GCEA, are you using the Aquila BARITONE GCEA set?

I have seen them available where ever Aquila strings are sold.

Booli, are there some light/extra light classical guitar strings she can get individually in Mexico cheaply that would work?

I'm seeing some sellers on ebay that charge $6 shipping to Mexico for a string set, maybe combined shipping for more sets.

Last edited:
Mainland has the Guadalupe BARITONE GCEA (LOW-G) strings here.

It seems that they are ALL WOUND strings, i.e., nylon WOUND on nylon or some variant of that, and are in fact hand-mad

I've not tried them yet myself. Please report back if you do.

I've tried several sets on my tenor and Baritone. I didn't like the feel and texture; especially when sliding up the fretboard. My favorites so far have been Southcoast. I tried C tuning on one of my baritones but changed quickly. The tuning didn't drive the soundboard enough for me. Glen Rose uses it though for his jazz books.

I ordered them anyway, and they emailed that the shipping was changed to 7 bucks. Will report on how they work out.

I agree with Phil, the Southcoast's are really sweet.

Top Bottom