Uke'n in Maui

BBQUKER

Reaction score
Just a few uke happenings here on our vacation for the past 10 days. Visited all three "main" uke stores - Mele Uke in Wailea, Bounty Music in Kahului and the Lahaina Uke. All three great stores carrying quality uke brands. Ended up purchasing an Imua super concert from Bounty. None of the other stores carried any long neck concerts.

Attended so far one (have three more to go) jam with the 808ukejams held at the Keolahou Church in Kehei. These are held every Thursday night. What a blast. Ended up purchasing the He Mele Aloha music book and their Class Book. Comes with a CD that you can play along with. Cost $40 for this material. It really helps to practice by playing with the CD.

Found another place that has a jam on Friday evenings. This is at the Surfside Deli in Kehei. Just a small BYOB diner where on Friday nights they serve prime rib for "only" $15.99 (really a bargain price for eating on this island). At around 7:30 the customers pull out their ukes and start jamming. The group is made up of mostly transplanted mainlanders. Very friendly group.

Last night attended a dinner show at Mulligans on the Blue in Wailea where Willie K performed. I don't know who plays the uke faster, Willie or Jake. And speaking of Jake we will be seeing him Saturday at the Castle Theater in Kahului. Willie played everything from Hawaiian reggae to Malaguena to opera on the uke. Quite the performer.

Well that's it for now. Aloha - Dan

Mahalo for posting some kani places to hit when in Maui.

Gotta write it down for later this year.

Wow Dan....sounds like a great trip to a great island!! Last time I was in Maui met Derick Sebastian at the Hula Grill on a Sunday night. He was performing there, and got to meet him and talk story a while. Super nice man and a fantastic uke player to boot!!!

I'd love to go back to Maui, especially now I play ukulele!

Top Bottom