Season 158 - We Three Kings

Okay ...right...now where in UK can we get green tomatoes ....except me dad's greenhouse ....???

Really the deal with green tomatoes is that there are tons of them left on the plants at the end of the season. Pick them before the first frost and fry 'em up. They are tangy yummy goodness.

I also store racks of green tomatoes for months. You have to carefully tend them, as some of them will go all yucky. I check 'em about daily. The ones that are just starting to get a mushy spot, I cut out the bad parts and fry 'em up. The rest I leave for another day. Many of them eventually ripen and can be eaten. The rest get fried. I have had fresh garden tomatoes all the way to the end of the year this way, even into January. This year I still have a couple, believe it or not!

But yeah, they are a garden / farm thing ... I've never seen them sold in stores. And that movie (or the book, I s'pose) was the first many of us had heard of such a thing.

How did we get on this?! :)

Yeah ... Chorderator says pretty much exactly that: AmaddD# - which is pretty much what you said. Or C6no5addD#/A ... which is worse. Linda, that is one funky chord!

Linda, I'm so excited you're taking that Berklee / Coursera theory course! It's such a cool course. I started it, then got busy with other things - I aim to get back to it before too long. I love that stuff.

No, seriously. It's a passing chord. It provides a smooth movement between two other chords or briefly away from one chord and then back to the same chord. It doesn't have a name and it provides no harmonic intent except for that movement.

Interesting. It's very close to a F7+9 which is 2343. I'd just call it that because they sound practically identical. I am definitely a music dummy though!

To me, 2303 sounds a whole lot "dirtier" than 2343. (How the heck do you play that, anyway?)

Yours is an F7+9 without the F. Funky. You can't be too much of a music dummy if you knew a thing like F7+9!

Linda,

I've run into this many times, but especially with blues music. I play a chord that sounds right, but sometimes find that I can't identify it. Since I like to add chords and lyrics to my songs it's a bit disconcerting to not know what chord I've played. What I finally decided is you should name it whatever you wish, or don't mention a chord name, just the finger placement as you described (2303). Since you brought it up, I think it's an L#7

I make up chords all the time. Since I usually write up a chord-lyric chart of most songs I do, every chord needs a name. So far I have W11 - 0012 - which is a G-ish sort of thing - great in tags in key of C ... and G70, which I put in my "70 Song" for Geoff (G for Geoff) Tootler's birthday.

Passing chord ... well, maybe - if you are not staying on it long. By definition, a passing chord is of short duration, no? I haven't heard Linda's song yet, or places where Markwo's used it ... but I'd say it depends whether they indeed used it as a passing chord ... or spent some time there. Anyway, if you're gonna put it in a chart, ya gotta give it some kind of name. (I use also use a lot of stars - like I might call this one Am* or F7*. And then have a listing of fingerings for the non-standard chords.)

Naming them is fun - why wouldn't you give it a name? (I name my cars too. YMMV.)

I wanted to get one in for you this week Freddie :) Pressed for time but glad I found this song as I'm going to practice the heck out of it and memorize it to be one of my "go to" songs. Thanks!
Way to go Janet! Glad you were able to make the party. Nice job on that intro and really nice job on that key change. You are in good voice today girlfriend.

The first time I heard this song, it grabbed my soul and has not let go since. I heard it on a tribute album and it showed the depth and beauty of BB King beyond a shadow of a doubt.

The album was a tribute to Doc Pomus. If you younguns out there don't know who he is, take a gander at the 12 (!) pages of songs listed here. So many of Doc's songs formed the foundation of rhythm and blues and rock and roll. This particular number was one of a number of tunes co-written with Dr. John.

I don't know if I was very faithful to BB's version, but I tried to play it like I feel it. Hope you like it.
You have such a soulful voice, BKV. Blues are really comin' through here. Your "occasional strum" technique adds to the bluesyness of the song. Strong ending, my friend.

Passing chord ... well, maybe - if you are not staying on it long. By definition, a passing chord is of short duration, no?

Naming them is fun - why wouldn't you give it a name?

I would have to agree with Alan. It is a passing chord and matched the vocal fine for the length of time I was on it.

!2 bar blues | A - A | A - A | D7 - D7 | A - A | E7 - Malarky( 2303) | A - A |

So you see you are just sliding on and going right onto A. As far as naming a chord that is universal I would stick to 2303. People will always know what that is.

The course has been very helpful and has really helped me. It is very good for a refresher or beginning learners.

Sorry Fred for taking up the thread for this BUT it is all about the blues and its a great grungy sliding chord that is fantastic in the Key of A. This isn't the first time I've used it but its the first time I've cared if it had a proper name.

Last edited:
Jessica, my musically-discerning wife, and her father, a true blues-lover, both said, "Albert's the one." So here's a not-so-worked-out-but-having-fun-trying version of the King of the Blues Guitar's "Personal Manager".

Question for all you music brainiacs.

In my vid I used a I IV V progression of A E7 D7. I did substitute one of the ( D7 2223 ) with a 2303 that followed E7 1202. It was easier to slide up for that quick chord and back to A and sounded bluesier to me.

My question is what is a 2303 called? Does it have a chord name? I have done a search and can't find it anywhere?
Theres a site called 'Ukebuddy' which has a chord namer facility on it .......put your notes on there and if the chord exists it should tell ya what it is.
I never use it myself.....I enjoy making shapes and seeing what noise I can make !!!

I find it quite Ironic that the pioneers of blues were pretty much simple and Illiterate folk and here we are trying to emulate and analyse them with rigid musical correctness...........if it sounds right and it don't hurt your ear then play it I say. Lol

Last edited:
Theres a site called 'Ukebuddy' which has a chord namer facility on it .......put your notes on there and if the chord exists it should tell ya what it is.

I never use it myself.....I enjoy making shapes and seeing what noise I can make !!! Lol

I find it quite Ironic that the pioneers of blues were pretty much simple and Illiterate folk and here we are trying to emulate and analyse them with rigid musical correctness. Lol

So true mark! We just need to not care and play the darn thing :rock:

Well after reading all that I know the first thing I'm gonna do when I get home. Try out Linda's filthy chord. Reckon it'd go well with the Aadd9 I like to play occasionally.

Really the deal with green tomatoes is that there are tons of them left on the plants at the end of the season. Pick them before the first frost and fry 'em up. They are tangy yummy goodness.

I also store racks of green tomatoes for months. You have to carefully tend them, as some of them will go all yucky. I check 'em about daily. The ones that are just starting to get a mushy spot, I cut out the bad parts and fry 'em up. The rest I leave for another day. Many of them eventually ripen and can be eaten. The rest get fried. I have had fresh garden tomatoes all the way to the end of the year this way, even into January. This year I still have a couple, believe it or not!

But yeah, they are a garden / farm thing ... I've never seen them sold in stores. And that movie (or the book, I s'pose) was the first many of us had heard of such a thing.

How did we get on this?! :)

Being a gardener I have fought with tomatoes all my life... well not exactly throwing them.
More growing them than throwing them. Now the Finnish growing season is notoriously short
so I have to grow tomatoes that have a short growing season. (thank you Myrna for those Alaskan seeds)

You have to know that there are two types of tomatoes... DETERMINATE and INDETERMINATE
Determinate ones produce their crop and all the tomatoes ripen within a short space of time, then
the vine dies. With the Indeterminate type the vine keeps on growing and producing right up to the
first frost date and you will have both red and green tomatoes on the vine. You usually get the
green tomatoes from Indeterminate tomatoes that grow late in the season.

I always try and grow the short season determinate varieties
I am always trying to ripen my green tomatoes and an old gardeners trick is to put them in a
brown paper bag with a ripening banana. The Banana as it ripen gives off the gas Ethylene and
this will stimulate other fruits to ripen as well. Indeed greenhouse tomatoes have been engineered
to remain green on the vine for a longer period of time... beyond the peak season when there is a glut
in the market and they are sold cheaply. Then when there is a scarcity of product the greenhouses are
pumped in with low concentrations of ethylene, the tomatoes ripen and are sold at a big profit. Supply
and demand.

Ripening Russian Heirloom green tomatoes

Last edited:
Question for all you music brainiacs.

In my vid I used a I IV V progression of A E7 D7. I did substitute one of the ( D7 2223 ) with a 2303 that followed E7 1202. It was easier to slide up for that quick chord and back to A and sounded bluesier to me.

My question is what is a 2303 called? Does it have a chord name? I have done a search and can't find it anywhere?

:2cents:
I would play 2313/F7 or mute the 2nd string 23X3 to get a less nebulous sound/chord.

I find it quite Ironic that the pioneers of blues were pretty much simple and Illiterate folk and here we are trying to emulate and analyse them with rigid musical correctness...........if it sounds right and it don't hurt your ear then play it I say. Lol

Illiterate, maybe - in the literal sense of unable to read and write; Simple, I don't think so. Those folks had clearly developed an understanding of how harmony works and how to make it interesting. They may not have expressed it in classical terms but had their own language for it.

What Linda did is used a dissonance in a way that's been around a long time and most blues turnarounds are based on the use of dissonance because a dissonance is built into the blues scale as it's a minor pentatonic scale with a flat 5th added. The blues scale in A is A, C, D, Eb, E, G, A so Linda's 2303 chord is made up of notes taken from the blues scale. Both D-Eb and Eb-E if played together are dissonant intervals.

In classical music theory, the rule is to approach dissonance by step and immediately resolve it. That's exactly what Linda did, if you look at it closely, though all the notes are in the blues scale of A. You are basically putting dissonance into a classic V7 - I progression. So you play 1202 (V7), 2303 (dissonance) and resolve to 2100 (I).

Jessica, my musically-discerning wife, and her father, a true blues-lover, both said, "Albert's the one." So here's a not-so-worked-out-but-having-fun-trying version of the King of the Blues Guitar's "Personal Manager".

I agree with Linda. The strumming almost sounds angelic. This is in the tradition of the BEVOMU happy blues :) Love the open tuning and instrumental. Nice one, Ralf.

Top Bottom