Spider Scales on the uke

PeteyHoudini

Reaction score
Just did a last quick ukulele tutorial before I leave for Hawaii on Wednesday:

cheers!

Petey

Petey, I am the ghost of ukulele future. Fiiiiiive Kaaaaaay, fiiiiiiiive kaaaaaayy! Don't you think he needs one, pineapple friend? :)

Another excellent fun tutorial. It will take me a lot of practice to get my pinky to reach the 4th string in order like that. But your past encouragement has got me sight reading simple melody sheet music now, so I thank you for that.

Have a blast in Hawaii!

Petey, I am the ghost of ukulele future. Fiiiiiive Kaaaaaay, fiiiiiiiive kaaaaaayy! Don't you think he needs one, pineapple friend? :)

Another excellent fun tutorial. It will take me a lot of practice to get my pinky to reach the 4th string in order like that. But your past encouragement has got me sight reading simple melody sheet music now, so I thank you for that.

Have a blast in Hawaii!

My pineapple friend wasn't saying too much this time... he had a cold like I did for the past week! hehe I could give up the ghost and go 5K but I'd rather have that cash in the bank! haha

Thanks! These are good warm up exercises for the fingers.

I'll keep you all posted with a VLOG from Hawaii. If the hotel's wifi can handle uploads!

Petey

Hey great vid! I'm going to give the spider scale a try.

Thanks for the tutorial. I've heard that guitarists who can shred will use this as an exercise to develop left hand finger independence. Also that no one seems to care what that "other" chord is named.

So for the sake argument we'll call your 2K: One. Now, while you are in Hawaii, buy one each: Kamaka, Kanile'a, KoAloha, Ko'olau and you'll have 5 Ks. You could probably do it for less than the cost of a single Martin 5K.

I should mention that you don't have to do the right hand "picado" (alternating index and middle fingers walking across the strings) for this warm up exercise. Using both hands like I show is the ultimate but you can just start by the left hand fingering and play the right hand anyway you want (even with a pick).

@fretie: Go for it, Peter Parker! ;-) hehe

@geetee: Thanks for the confirming info. It was a guitarist who gave me this technique to "break up the hand" as he said. I like calling the secondary unnamed chord the "Monk" chord because that can have two meanings… Theolonious or the guy in robes. hehe Yeah, I love using my 2K for playing such stuff. You're totally right about buying all those Hawaiian 5Ks. hehehe ...but try to explain bringing all those back on the plane to Canada! LOL hehe Aloha!

Petey

Last edited:
So for the sake argument we'll call your 2K: One. Now, while you are in Hawaii, buy one each: Kamaka, Kanile'a, KoAloha, Ko'olau and you'll have 5 Ks. You could probably do it for less than the cost of a single Martin 5K.

Now there's an idea. One 5k or 5 K's, haha!

Looking forward to that vlog, Petey.

Now there's an idea. One 5k or 5 K's, haha!

Looking forward to that vlog, Petey.

Thanks... The 4 Ks and my Martin 2K = 6K! LOL I'll try to do that VLOG every 2-3 days. I'm coming back on the night of March 6th. I'll figure out a routine. This is totally new for me. My VLOG will be something short with a bit of editing on my Surface Pro with some video and still shots.

cheers,

Petey

Nice tutorial. Lots of interest here about warm ups, stretches, etc. etc. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the tutorial Petey,
Somehow my fingers wont let me play CM7 (5432), this exercise will help for sure.
Have a great trip!

Thanks for all your tutorials and for the record, I am not at all jealous about you going to Hawaii!

I have been playing this exercise. It helps sketch out my hand.
Thanks

My warm up consists of doing the dishes. Not very elaborate but it does help if you use hot water. I can only use warm water due to my neuropathy but it still helps quite a bit. I know my warm up is a little lame and that's why I'm not doing a video. :cheers:

Top Bottom