Slotted Head Solid Mahogany: Mainland or Kala??

Don224

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am at a point of not being able to play either before I buy. The music shop by my house has the Kala mahogany Lite (which is not the one I am interested in as it is not Mahogany). The mainland has good you tube posts unlike the real mahogany Kala. The issue I am running against is th Mainland doe not have strumming examples that I can find.. Also the Kala has very few examples..

What are your thoughts??

I forgot to mention that I am a tenor player...I Just love the voice.

This would be my second ue my first being a Kamoa E3-T. Is it fair from what I hear to say that the Kala maybe a better strummer and the Mainland has the finer picking advantage?

I think they'll both be the same since they are both tenors and it depends on your playing style. I don't believe it depends on which brand is better for which. It depends on the size and the player in my opinion.

So is it fair to say that the wood quality and craftsmanship are fairly similar?

So is it fair to say that the wood quality and craftsmanship are fairly similar?

I think so since they're both China factory imports. But you can't go wrong getting the Mainland because it will come fully set up and if you get the Kala from The Ukulele Site, they will do a full set-up as well. But I prefer the Mainland because it's a gloss finish. :cool:

I can vouch for the mainland being an excellent choice for strumming. The mahoganies have a nice balanced voice but can definitely rock out strumming.

I am sure the kalas as set up by HMS would be excellent options as well.

Can't go wrong with a Mainland!

Mainland for the above reasons. I've played too many Kalas with issues vs. never been disappointed playing a Mainland. The Kalas were usually at our local music stores so perhaps they just weren't setup right.

Mainland has better quality assurance, final assembly in the US, and all ukes come properly set up (as well as offering a choice of tuning peg colors); they deal with the majority of customers personally, which I think makes them more invested in ensuring good work. I believe they use one-piece tops and backs, which require no bracing along the center, allowing them to vibrate more freely, whereas Kala uses bookmatched pieces. Kalas have more quality variance, being entirely factory built overseas, and don't come set up (unless you buy them through select vendors). Judging from my Kala cedar-top, I assume that the Kala's back is slightly arched lengthwise; you'd have to ask Mike (hoosierhiver here on UU) whether the Mainland's back is arched, lengthwise or laterally, rather than simply graduated in depth from the upper to lower bout—if you care.

I personally would opt for the Mainland, as entailing the least risk and the best promise for sound. Disclosure: I own an older Mainland mahogany concert and several Kalas, including two slotheads.

Thank you for such an informative reply. My disclosure, one of my tenors is an Ohana TK-35CG which are built out of the same factory as Mainlands, so its sibling is the Mainland Tenor Cutaway. The sound of my Ohana tenor compared to my Pono tenor is more open, warmer, and has more volume, and it's lighter in weight. I actually like playing my Ohana better than my Pono. I now will only opt for the Mainland Mahogany Tenor Slotted Headstock.

Dont think you can go wrong with either one!!

Top Bottom