Thoughts on Anchoring the RH Pinky

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Fingerpicking on the uke I've pretty much always anchored the pinky except when I want to use three fingers, but then I always immediately grab the top again.

These days I've been playing uke a lot and doing a lot of fingerpicking. My right hand started to get really sore from overuse, and I was getting hand cramps from my hand being tightly locked in position while moving my fingers. I started switching up and allowing my hand to move because of the pain.

Now I'm starting to get used to finger picking without anchoring my pinky. I have found that it tends to make me pick more with the thumb and three fingers vs. thumb and two fingers that I did when anchoring with my pinky. It also overall makes the playing more fluid.

Now I'm seeing why good classical guitar technique requires the pinky not to anchor. And I think it will make me a better uke player to master removing my pinky from the soundboard. It is also better for my hand and arm.

In general, I'm a finger-planter when I flat pick and a non-planter when I finger pick. However, I almost always maintain contact between the heel of my palm and the bridge - not so much to anchor as to maintain control over how long the strings ring out.

Dave Egan teaches non-planted pinky for picking. Also, to be able to transition between strumming and picking more smoothly from the non-anchored position.

http://youtu.be/hM_3Sb-xfXk?t=4m31s

Right hand technique discussion starts at 4:31.

Last edited:
I was taught as a kid to plant the pinky, so that's what I always did, until recently when my teacher suggested I try *not* planting it. It took some getting used to but I feel like I have a lot more freedom of movement and speed with an un-planted pinky, so that's what I aim for most of the time. I'm also trying to use my ring finger to pick - I've always been a three-fingered player and been really rigid about using the thumb on the 3rd and 4th string, index on 2nd, and middle on 1st, but I've come to realize there's really no one good reason to stick to this at all times!

I can see where pinky-planting is necessary for players who need to support their uke that way, but since I use a strap it just seems restrictive and unnecessary.

I can see where pinky-planting is necessary for players who need to support their uke that way, but since I use a strap it just seems restrictive and unnecessary.

I have lots of bad uke habits but have never planted my pinky - not saying it is bad, just a habit I never had. I never understood the advantage, but have seen lots of players do it. So that is why? To support the uke?

I have lots of bad uke habits but have never planted my pinky - not saying it is bad, just a habit I never had. I never understood the advantage, but have seen lots of players do it. So that is why? To support the uke?

I'm actually not sure if that's the main reason, but I have a friend who plays and does not use a strap, and claims he can't support the uke without planting the pinky. I just spent a week test-driving a uke without a strap button and pinky-planting definitely helped me support it.

I know classical guitarists do not plant the pinky, but I wonder if other guitarists do and if that may be where it comes from?

I generally anchor the pinky. I don't get how people play the classical way and do not anchor the pinky! I've experimented with the non-anchor but I keep the thumb of my fretting hand low on the neck - which is another classical technique.

This means I don’t have enough support without the pinky to hold the uke in place. I can only really get away with the non-anchor if I tilt my wrist and pull my thumb up over the neck so it sits in the V between my index and thumb. This limits the movement of my fretting hand and is also seen as a bad technique. So its a catch 22!

If anyone has any overcome this problem - without a strap - it would be interesting to get some advice. I don’t see how the elbow can take all the weight!
I don’t mind the anchor but sometimes it’s not ideal and slips when transitioning between strumming and fingerpicking can be annoying!

I generally anchor the pinky. I don't get how people play the classical way and do not anchor the pinky! I've experimented with the non-anchor but I keep the thumb of my fretting hand low on the neck - which is another classical technique.

This means I don’t have enough support without the pinky to hold the uke in place. I can only really get away with the non-anchor if I tilt my wrist and pull my thumb up over the neck so it sits in the V between my index and thumb. This limits the movement of my fretting hand and is also seen as a bad technique. So its a catch 22!

If anyone has any overcome this problem - without a strap - it would be interesting to get some advice. I don’t see how the elbow can take all the weight!
I don’t mind the anchor but sometimes it’s not ideal and slips when transitioning between strumming and fingerpicking can be annoying!

Is there a reason you don't want to use a strap while standing? I play sitting down with the uke resting on my leg or standing with a strap. Some people can play anything while using the technique of cradling the uke with their elbow while standing but it doesn't really work for me. If I am just strumming, I can play without a strap while standing, but for finger picking or other tricky stuff, I get distracted trying to support the uke with my right arm.

I guess I anchor my pinky when playing tremolo on the mandolin but never while playing guitar or ukulele.

Last edited:
I'm a pinkie planter. I do get sore after a while. I never play strapless.

I often wear a strap - it makes no difference. My desire to anchor is based not on the need to hold it but the desire to keep my hand stabilized. I can play with my pinky free and have been working on breaking the habit of anchoring my fingers.

I don't mind using a strap. It's just my soprano and concert don't have any strap buttons. I also have the same problem when sitting down - with the neck dipping down on open chords or between formations as there's not much support on the uke with a low thumb on the neck. I can use a firmer elbow grip but this can also push my strumming hand to far up the neck and away from the sound hole.

You don't need a strap button, classical guitar straps with a hook work OK. Personally I don't like the uke leash. I do prefer strap buttons. I bought a package of them in bulk from Ebay for something like $5. I don't like cutting holes in my uke, but my local repairman charges $5 to install the buttons.

Katy: You're just going through a normal progression. I think the pinky stuff works for everybody at first; those who play more, end up doing without, either all the time or some of the time. It just matters what feels good to you, imho.

Last edited:
Yeah, I knew I'd seen Jake do this. I still don't, but sometimes I anchor the ring finger. It works for me.

Planting the pinky is a lute technique. The hand position is much more side on than for classical guitar technique. Lute players didn't use nails but the flesh of the fingertips. When I started playing the uke I tried planting the pinky and using a more side on position to get a more mellow sound. I don't plant my pinky any more because I find it too inhibiting. I do use a strap.

In bluegrass banjo circles the discussion centers on whether to plant one or two fingers. At least one down is a given.

good discussion. i plant the pinky but it gets my muscles into a bind, and now think it would be easier and freer to float the hand.

I was talking about it with my teacher last week. I was encouraged to keep it planted.

Top Bottom