Thoughts on Anchoring the RH Pinky

I was talking about it with my teacher last week. I was encouraged to keep it planted.

I see people say that their teacher told them to plant it and I see the opposite. I don't mean this in a sarcastic way but seriously, "Who made them the expert." When it comes to classical instruments there is a body of tradition around how to play them. Sometimes people come along who innovate - or as others say break the rules or do it wrong.

The uke is a folk instrument and it has more than one tradition. I don't think there is a right or wrong way, just ways that work for certain sounds or styles and ways that don't work as well. I'm finding that anchoring my pinky is causing me muscle stress and is technically limiting. But as I'm playing I'm also noticing that sometimes it is useful and sometimes not so much.

I see people say that their teacher told them to plant it and I see the opposite. I don't mean this in a sarcastic way but seriously, "Who made them the expert." When it comes to classical instruments there is a body of tradition around how to play them. Sometimes people come along who innovate - or as others say break the rules or do it wrong.

The uke is a folk instrument and it has more than one tradition. I don't think there is a right or wrong way, just ways that work for certain sounds or styles and ways that don't work as well. I'm finding that anchoring my pinky is causing me muscle stress and is technically limiting. But as I'm playing I'm also noticing that sometimes it is useful and sometimes not so much.

Yep, my teacher is the opposite - he told me to *not* plant it in order to be able to move more freely. Well, to elaborate - he told me to try both and that it's fine to do both but that for the type of playing I'm doing, I might benefit from more freedom to move. I've found this to be true 99% of the time... depending on the day :) Seriously, one day planting will make me play better, and the next it will not. So I think it comes down to "whatever works."

As for not-planting - in the John King "Famous Solos and Duets" book, there's an arrangement of Spanish Fandango that uses the thumb, index, middle and ring fingers of the right hand. It's a really good way to practice *not* planting the pinky (at least for me, since using my ring finger with the pinky planted is just about impossible).

I know classical guitarists do not plant the pinky, but I wonder if other guitarists do and if that may be where it comes from?

I never plant my pinky on guitar, Also, I sometimes play standing up with no strap. I use my forearm to hold up my full acoustic, non classical guitar. It would be hard to reach the lower strings if I were to plant my pinky.

I have been playing the guitar for about 30 years, mostly fingerstyle. I have never planted the pinky. The guitar sits there without moving, unlike the ukulele which I have only been playing for a couple months. I have struggled a little with the squirming around that it does. I tried the soundhole strap, but didn't care for it. I cut a travel pillow in 2 and stuck it between my legs to support the upper bout. that was pretty good. Now I keep my left foot on a classical guitar stool and the waist sits on my left thigh with the neck at less than 20 degrees. My right forearm is against the top of the lower bout. The instrument stays put and I can paly with my right had free to move around. It has greatly improved my playing. I am not sure what the final answer will be, but this feels good and I have good control while having the freedom to move closer to and further from the soundhole as desired.

It looks to me like Jake is planting his middle finger when picking with the thumb in the Pure Heart video Camsuke posted. Seems unconventional but it obviously works for him. I only plant my pinky when using the thumb. It feels right and works well. When fingerpicking or alternating the thumb and first finger I don't plant it.

Top Bottom