Expensive concert or 8 string?

Pirate Jim

Reaction score
So, I'm about to have a bit of an instrument clear out in order to fund a higher priced purchase. I'm just not sure what to aim for though...

I initially thought I'd like to get an 8 string as

a) I don't have one and
b) I used to play the mandolin but no longer can (hand injury plus mandolin string tension = bad plan) so this is probably the closest I can get to that now.

Then I found myself wondering if I wouldn't rather buy a really decent concert uke (concert being my favourite scale length). Something in the Martin C1K to KoAloha Sceptre range (yes, wildly different prices but you get the idea - solid koa from a decent manufacturer). Now, I already have three concert ukes, including an Omega Klassico which is really lovely, so would another concert be overkill?

I'm hoping another UU'er has had this dilemma in the past! And, before anyone says it, yes - of course I'd like to get both but I haven't the cash!

Interesting conundrum.

As a what-seems-lately-as ex-mandolinist (rarely play anymore), I wanted to try an 8-string uke. Got an Oscar Schmidt OU28T and added a preamp/tuner/pickup to it (total cost of uke and stuff under $110). Threw the factory strings away and restrung it CGDA. Set it up to my liking for action. Love it! It's like a deeper-sounding octave mandolin and rocks!

If the goal is to try something which musically is much different than another four-string concert, the 8-string is a great way to go. There are a few 8-string models out there. I took the OU28T because of cost and no fear in doing my own setups and such. For me it was a great deal. I just finished about an hour this morning playing it in the back yard. It has indeed become a favorite.

I'm not as experience as most, but, I do know when I hear a nice uku and a C1K sounds good.

I agree, apart from being built in Mexico, these guys are worth the buck. Looks great, sounds great, feels great, all Koa, decent price tag and it's a Martin.

I'm not as experience as most, but, I do know when I hear a nice uku and a C1K sounds good.

I agree, apart from being built in Mexico, these guys are worth the buck. Looks great, sounds great, feels great, all Koa, decent price tag and it's a Martin.

I agree about the C1K, and I'd like to add that you might want to try different C1K's. They look and sound may vary a lot. Although 4th concert may not give you very much extra value.

The double string tension on an 8 string which is probably also a tenor will be a lot. I agree the C1K can be nice but they vary wildly. The koa they are built with is not the best stuff and they are very unfinished. They also have the neck join right after the 12th fret which I don't like.

The double string tension on an 8 string which is probably also a tenor will be a lot. I agree the C1K can be nice but they vary wildly. The koa they are built with is not the best stuff and they are very unfinished. They also have the neck join right after the 12th fret which I don't like.

Actually, the tension feel at the fingertips is no different than any nylon-string tenor uke. It is a LOT lighter than a steel-string mandolin which is tuned quite tight to get that higher pitch. That lightness in feel (compared to an octave mandolin) is what really makes the 8-string tenor a joy. Granted, I have set it up to where the action is lower than what the factory settings are, but no different than my other ukes.

As another gnarled-arhritic hands guy, I know what the OP means about mandolin feel, and if a person is comfortable with a 4-string concert or tenor uke, an 8-string won't be a "pressure problem." As the OP is a fellow mandolinist, he already is experienced in dealing with doubled strings, so will probably find an 8-string tenor a pleasant experience. ...... and the sound!!!

Last edited:
If you want an 8 string, consider Ohana's new solid spruce topped, solid mahogany 8 string tenor. Incredible tones for the price. Now, on the 8 string vs concert, Ohana will likely be bringing out their new concert sized 8 string Taropatch, likely a CK35-8. It will have much of the classic look of the old Martin.
Two birds with one stone. It didn't make it to production in time for NAMM, but I am anxiously awaiting the opportunity to be among the first to get one.

If you want an 8 string, consider Ohana's new solid spruce topped, solid mahogany 8 string tenor. Incredible tones for the price. Now, on the 8 string vs concert, Ohana will likely be bringing out their new concert sized 8 string Taropatch, likely a CK35-8. It will have much of the classic look of the old Martin.
Two birds with one stone. It didn't make it to production in time for NAMM, but I am anxiously awaiting the opportunity to be among the first to get one.

That is indeed interesting!

Thanks for the thoughts, all! I didn't realise Ohana were bringing out new 8 string models - I'll definitely keep an eye out for them, I really like the two Ohanas I have at the moment. I think I'm leaning towards 8 string on balance, with a koa concert staying on the wish list. My wife is egging me on to get both - she's an enabler of my addiction...

SteveZ, what strings did you use to get CGDA tuning? I've been experimenting with different tunings on my baritone uke using classical guitar strings - great fun! The best sounding has been GDAE (octave mandolin) although I am enjoying it as a linear octave uke (GCEA) at the moment.

SteveZ, what strings did you use to get CGDA tuning? I've been experimenting with different tunings on my baritone uke using classical guitar strings - great fun! The best sounding has been GDAE (octave mandolin) although I am enjoying it as a linear octave uke (GCEA) at the moment.

I tune CGDA using the DGBE Aquila baritone guitar tuning set (part #ABGT) and the Aquila tenor six-string set (part #AT6). The first two strings from the ABGT set are saved, and the other two are tossed. That gives me the "CG". For the "DA" I take the third "E" and first "A"strings from the AT6 set and tune them "DA". This combination keeps the tension reasonably close to what the DGBE tuning pulls. To summarize:

Aquila NylGut
C - wound (from #ABGT, D string)(guitar tuning set, baritone)
G - wound (from #ABGT, G string)(guitar tuning set, baritone)
D - .77mm (from #AT6, E string)(tenor six-string set)
A - .62mm (from #AT6, A string)(tenor six-string set)

Here's a sound sample of my OS OU28T strung CGDA that I made a while back: https://soundcloud.com/steveztv/ou28t-heart-of-the-matter

Apart from being built in Mexico??

The last Geography class I taught showed Mexico as being in North America. So is Canada. I don't see that we have a trade deficit with Mexico. There are some fine craftsmen in that country . The Lehua line started in Mexico and was moved to Portugal. The gig bags are some of the nicest I have seen, and they still are produced there.

I tune CGDA using the DGBE Aquila baritone guitar tuning set (part #ABGT) and the Aquila tenor six-string set (part #AT6). The first two strings from the ABGT set are saved, and the other two are tossed. That gives me the "CG". For the "DA" I take the third "E" and first "A"strings from the AT6 set and tune them "DA". This combination keeps the tension reasonably close to what the DGBE tuning pulls. To summarize:

Aquila NylGut
C - wound (from #ABGT, D string)(guitar tuning set, baritone)
G - wound (from #ABGT, G string)(guitar tuning set, baritone)
D - .77mm (from #AT6, E string)(tenor six-string set)
A - .62mm (from #AT6, A string)(tenor six-string set)

Here's a sound sample of my OS OU28T strung CGDA that I made a while back: https://soundcloud.com/steveztv/ou28t-heart-of-the-matter

I'll definitely be trying this at some point, thank you! Just need to get a few bits and bobs sold now...

Easy...go with the 8 string!!

I posted a short review of the 8 string Phil is talking about in the review section. Still love it. Now I want their Taropatch... Geez Phil, why did you have to mention that?

We have an 8 string Kamaka, and it sounds like nothing else. It's a bit harder to fret/finger, but has lots of volume. The koa sounds great! It's the one uke that I believe I could justify playing with a pick.

Just read the review - at the moment I'm slightly more struck by the size of your cat than anything else! Also got the PM and replied, cheers - let me know if you've not got the reply.

We have an 8 string Kamaka, and it sounds like nothing else. It's a bit harder to fret/finger, but has lots of volume. The koa sounds great! It's the one uke that I believe I could justify playing with a pick.

Yes - I have a feeling that as soon as I start playing mandolin tunes on it I'll want to break out a pick. Can't quite get a tremolo in the same way without one.

Last edited:
PM sent back (I think it worked anyway). Yes, the cat is huge. She's curled up on my lap right now.

Top Bottom