A soprano resonator finished

Sven

Reaction score
I made two in one go, but shipped one last friday before I got around to filming it. The player it went to wanted it in time for a festival gig later this week, and I hope it gets there on time.

But the other one stars in this here low quality video - I tried the settings for a better resolution but I'm not youtube savvy enough.

The uke is made with old mahogany around a plywood skeleton, an alder neck and a shellac finish. Strings are Seaguar fishing line and the metal parts come from Republic. The inlay is very agrarian compared to what we usually see around here, Milliput in routed cavities. It feels good to confess before anyone asks...

Sven

I know a very well-respected luthier local to me who uses milliput for fretboard inlays. It's a great alternative to dead mollusc if you want a solid colour.

Edit: forgot to say (but you already know!) I have a ton of respect for your work Sven!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! I'm really pleased with my resos now. I've mentioned it before in other threads; there are simpler ways of constructing them but I dare not mess with a winning formula now that I get consistent results. Toughest job on this one was bending the one piece rim to fit the plywood skeleton exactly. Took me a couple of hours on the pipe, I suffered multiple burns and uttered a few profanities, so I do have my immortal soul to worry about now.

I've looked for eyelets / grommets for the sound holes but the ones I've seen are too large or too fat. So the mesh is glued from the back with epoxy. And the mesh is that aluminium reinforcement mesh for plastic padding, several sheets for a few bucks.

Got the whole kit from Republic Guitars. But their webshop is cumbersome for a bloke in Sweden so I had a mate in the states buy five sets for me by contacting them on the phone, and then we met in England on other business and he gave me the hardware.

The reason for this was that I couldn't understand how to buy five sets in one go, the website wanted me to check out with added [steep] shipping as soon as I clicked on the "buy" button for the first.

I'm always impressed by non-native English speakers (Scandinavians in particular) who master the written and spoken English language. So I take my hat off to you when I see you referring to yourself as a 'bloke'. That may qualify you as an honorary Brit.

Last edited:
wow gorgeous uke sven i got to see a video of the other one you are a fab luthier mate i would love on your reso,s but times are hard ;) i have a tenor (laminate) i would love to get converted but i dont have the skills funds or patience to do it maybe one day, keep on posting your fab ukes, all the best from me.

Top Bottom