Cant find solid electric tenor in UK

The very reason i went for the solid Rob Collins custom above is because I could never find a reliable cheap one out there. The reason is simple - a solid body uke of whatever scale has to do ONE THING well - and that is to sound half decent plugged in. I played many many and owned a few like Eleukes and every one was a massive let down on the pickup quality.

Seen everything from mismatched volume between strings to buzzes, hums and general muddy tone. As I say, they need to do one thing well and I could never find that holy grail. The uke Rob built me is just sublime. (Surprised he didnt come back to you - I would try again as he is usually pretty good at communications). I dont regret ordering with him one bit - it answered my problem.

Sorry to sound so down on all the others, but at the cheap end I was only ever massively disappointed on tone. Sound ok through a small battery amp I guess, but when you stick an Eleuke through a large PA when performing on stage, you start to notice the shortcomings!

Re prices though - the Risa Uke Solids can be had for under £200 and they are the exception to the above - I own one and they are SUPERB quality (build AND pickup).

As for reasonable prices - well I suppose you get what you pay for - but when a half decent passive pickup can cost you close to £100 just for the piezo - £200 for a whole instrument doesn't leave much for the ukulele itself. As such, the cheaper brands (in order to avoid creating something that is just inherently unplayable) tend to cut corners on the pickups. For a solid body that is exactly where I DON'T want corners cut - they are key to the whole concept!

Last edited:
??? I replied in this thread!
Rob.

Emailed. No matter.
I thought I'd located an Eluke in stock from Bugsgear, but he doesn't answer email either. I blame spam filters.
Other findings: Vorson appear to have abandoned the solid tenor: only seem to have concert size available in China. As the euro collapses, Risa prices are coming down: now available at just over 400 GBP new. If anyone else is in the market for a solid electric tenor (and it's clearly a small and exclusive group) I recommend waiting till Greece exits the EC, upon which the further collapse will make these instruments affordable.
Meanwhile, I'm just hitting my (acoustic) baritone harder in an effort to make solos heard.

Emailed. No matter.
I thought I'd located an Eluke in stock from Bugsgear, but he doesn't answer email either. I blame spam filters.
Other findings: Vorson appear to have abandoned the solid tenor: only seem to have concert size available in China. As the euro collapses, Risa prices are coming down: now available at just over 400 GBP new. If anyone else is in the market for a solid electric tenor (and it's clearly a small and exclusive group) I recommend waiting till Greece exits the EC, upon which the further collapse will make these instruments affordable.
Meanwhile, I'm just hitting my (acoustic) baritone harder in an effort to make solos heard.

Is that an electro acoustic baritone? If not, you could just have a pickup fitted to it and save for a Tin guitar electric: that would be a cheaper short term solution. As I said before, Risas are available for less than the price you've quoted on ebay. A UK second hand LP went for £270 the other week, and if you buy from France you can get a new Risa bean for £270 and a new LP for £350... If you want to stick to that £200 budget maybe a Risa stick? (sorry, just realised that last suggestion was given by Bazmaz above... but I'm more than happy to agree with him. He knows his stuff! :bowdown: )

Last edited:
Is that an electro acoustic baritone? If not, you could just have a pickup fitted to it and save for a Tin guitar electric: that would be a cheaper short term solution. As I said before, Risas are available for less than the price you've quoted on ebay. A UK second hand LP went for £270 the other week, and if you buy from France you can get a new Risa bean for £270 and a new LP for £350... If you want to stick to that £200 budget maybe a Risa stick? (sorry, just realised that last suggestion was given by Bazmaz above... but I'm more than happy to agree with him. He knows his stuff! :bowdown: )

Can you give me a link to the French site?

Good suggestions again, but I can't get on with sticks. Took me long enough to adjust down from a guitar body. I think I'm resigned to saving up - trouble is I know I'll only leave it in a pub somewhere.

Here's the French site selling Risa Beans http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141582340191?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT I can't vouch for them personally (I'm also still saving up for my next ukulele at the moment, otherwise I would probably have bought one myself), but I did see someone on Facebook saying they'd bought from them successfully. I do have plenty of experience of leaving (or knocking over and damaging) precious items in pubs, though - so I sympathise with you on that score ;) Good luck!

I have an Eleuke that I may be tempted to sell, depending on the price, I bought it from Mim a few years ago, she gave it a great set up and it plays like butter, there are no dings or scratches on it, I would be prepared to sell it at the right price

Might part with mine too, also have no idea what to ask. Also from mim, I think it cost me about £150 with delivery etc. Tenor scale.

Eleuke.jpg

Just in case anyone is in the same position: I didn't see the 2 replies above and in the meantime had managed to get hold of BugsGear in Korea. They shipped me an Eleuke direct. Looks good so far and I think will be a lot of fun.

Thanks to all in this thread for taking interest.

Top Bottom