Taropatch question

AJ Hill

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a Taropatch but I don't want to go the expensive custom build option I've tried google etc but not much luck I am hoping there is a value mass produced one to be had as it won't be a main player any recommendations would be great

Only one I have seen lately (aside from the occasional vintage ones) is the one being made by Rob Collins at Tinguitar.

Sorry!
One alternative, if you are happy to re-cut a nut with the correct slots is that you could easily string a standard 8 string uke in Taropatch tuning as I see it.

I have been advised that a new Ohana CK35-8 Taropatch is on the way. I am eagerly awaiting the opportunity to be among it's first buyers. I "lobbied" for it for 2 or 3 years to Ohana. I'd personally just wait on that one if I were you.

I just received a Kiwaya taro patch from a guitar shop in Japan- but it wasn't cheap (about $1350 US)- but it is a superb instrument! For a less expensive one, I would wait to see what Ohana comes out with. Good luck!

I had a word with Ken Middleton and he said he gets asked about the Taropatch quite a bit and as far as he knows there are no plans to build one saying that Ohana has a huge range as it is ,,,the search goes on !

Taropatch

Try a mandolin. Not all of them are F or A models... some are teardrop or pear shaped and have a round sound hole. The slots need widened because "fish line" is wider than wire. I have an early Regal with a flat back, and a newer round hole flat top with a shallow bowl shape to the back. The neck is wider and the back less severely bowed than the old "Tater Bug" neopolitian style. They are far less expensive . I string with Aquila taropatch strings. These things are built to withstand 8 wire string's tensions.

I am thinking of getting a Taropatch but I don't want to go the expensive custom build option I've tried google etc but not much luck I am hoping there is a value mass produced one to be had as it won't be a main player any recommendations would be great

What's your budget? Hand-made does not have to mean super expensive!

I have had a quote from leprinzi in Florida for around the $585.00 which is a very good price that was for a Mahogany ,,I fancy one made from Cherry so watch this space

No not at all that was for the A model in a mahogany the cherry is $635.00 , I think it's the basic build with no thrills but lovely wood and craftsmanship

It's a concert size unlike a normal 8 string the strings don't have any octave differences two high G etc

Just emailed him Phil ,,love the sound of your Taropatch ,,,oh and sent you a friend request on FB

Taropatch uke now ordered from Rob Collins ofi Tin guitars in the UK , after seeing the Taropatch he made Phil Doleman and the uke he made for Ken Middleton it was a no brainer the main wood will be Purple Heart it will be a very striking instrument indeed

Top Bottom