Tutorials, Turn Arounds, Strum Techniques etc.

lelouden

Reaction score
I love it when someone shares a great tutorial. There is a wealth of information we can share with each other here. It seems that during blues week we get some really great tutorials. There is definitely something inspiring about the blues, but it doesn't need to end there.

I've opened this thread to have a place for teaching and sharing with each other. If you have something you want to share that will help us learn more from each other, place it here. If there is a technique that you want to learn put a call out for it here. This place is filled with very talented musicians that have either happened across something great or have music knowledge that can help us little people along.

Last edited:
Raygf A7 tuning tut

I watched Rob's C7 tuning video earlier this week and while watching his simple blues turn around video this hit me. (sorry if this has been covered in a previous post, I really don't have time to go through them all right now.) If you tune C up to C sharp you get A7 tuning. Here are some riffs to use. Also great tuning for slide. I did not play slide in the video, but it works. Give it a try. I'm playing a baritone strung with Southcoast Low G strings.
A7 - 0000 (9-8-9-10)
A - 2000
D7 - 5555 (2123)
E7 - 7777 (4345)

Excellent thread Linda and brilliant tutorial Ray.

Theres not many blues tutorials (if any) out there that concentrate on string bending,twisting,vibrato techniques for soloing on the uke ??
I've been distracted noodling blues riffs on my guitar (sorry for swearing) most of this week because theres a wealth of stuff out there for guitar for inspiration and I've found it easier on guitar using the effective 'BB King box' for soloing. I've been unsuccessful trying to translate the BB box to uke so far grrrrrrr.

A Mr.Wo tutorial possibly ?? :iwant:

Last edited:
I agree Mark. I would love to see that from Markwo or ukefoote. I would also love to see some strum techniques from CeeJay.

Well I'm neither Markwo nor Ukefoote but here's what I do Mark. I assume this sort of thing is what you mean by the BB King box?

I'm not gonna call this a tutorial. It's not based on much theory and my delivery isn't great. I also chose to suggest using a technique I'm not actually good at (can anyone tell me how to pull off a good hammer on on a uke? Heh) but it should be enough to go on.

As long as you're playing Low G and you stay within this shape on the fretboard, you'll be right

A|-----------------0-3------
E|------------0-3-----------
C|-------0-2----------------
G|-0-2----------------------

Play that up and down a few times and then start to change the order of a notes a bit. Add hammer ons, pull offs, bends and slides as you fancy.

And in case I didn't explain it well in the video, that pattern is transferrable up and down the fretboard. To know what key you're in, take either the '2' note on the G string or the '0' note on the A string.

Hopefully Mr Wo comes here soon and does a better job. That man's got more Blues tekkers in his pinky than I do in both hands.

Also, thanks for putting these up Linda. If ever I get time to have more than just a noodle I will most certainly be checking these out.

Would like to see a pure finger styling tutorial, I find PIMA extremely difficult on the smaller sized ukulele...

Cheers for your explaination Ryan.

Kings style is around a certain area of the 2nd position of the pentatonic scale on guitar which is known as the “BB King Box” and mixes up major and minor Pentatonic/Blues.
The problem I have is transferring it from guitar to uke.
I find it more achieveable on guitar because of his minimalist playing technique and the vibrato is easier to attain.

Last edited:
Heres a demo Ryan for the 2nd position (up the neck)by a very rusty guitar player (I couldn't get my uke head off and mis-gauged strings) but at least it shows the area that I'm trying to translate.............

Last edited:
Well I'm neither Markwo nor Ukefoote but here's what I do Mark. I assume this sort of thing is what you mean by the BB King box?

As long as you're playing Low G and you stay within this shape on the fretboard, you'll be right

A|-----------------0-3------
E|------------0-3-----------
C|-------0-2----------------
G|-0-2----------------------

What you've got there is a C major pentatonic scale. It's nice as well to add the 'blue' note to that scale, so:

Code:
A|------------------0-3----
E|-------------0-3---------
C|------0-2-3--------------
G|-0-2---------------------

For a nice little turnaround using this scale, try something like this:

Code:
A|-3-0--------------------3--
E|-----3-0-------------------
C|---------3-0-3--2--0-------
G|----------------------2----

I made this demo of this turnaround:
Demo: major blues-scale turnaround in D (SoundCloud)

Unfortunately, the nearest uke I had to hand was tuned in D, so if you want to play along, either put a capo on the 2nd fret or add 2 to each of those notes. Soz!

Last edited:
Top Bottom