Season 159 - Cover My Friends

My Heart is Full ... Our Newest Friend

Just got the first comment on my Season 159 entry video - from Matthew:

"I've been watching for a while, because I enjoyed the music. Genuinely think this season I will find a ukulele and begin learning how to play it!"

How wonderful is that?! This, dear friends, is what this Season is all about.

can I just do a duet with my dog?
We do awesome covers of Chas 'n' Dave with me on uke and vocals and him on percussion with a tamborine tied to his nuts !!
lol!!!!!!!

aw wes! he's so cute and now i realise........ he's so talented!

that vid would be awesome, it would totally be the dog's uh it would totally be the cat's pyjamas! ;)

lol!!!!!!!

aw wes! he's so cute and now i realise........ he's so talented!

that vid would be awesome, it would totally be the dog's uh it would totally be the cat's pyjamas! ;)

Lol Lynda! You crack me up. I needed a good laugh this morning!

Thornton-Sinatra rule applied:

This song is about a friend but maybe not quite in the way you intended, I think Wendy. It was inspired (if that's the right word) by what happened to a friend and also to my brother-in-law and to my wife's nephew. It also provides a link with last week's season as it is a minor key blues.

I wrote it some time ago but this is a new recording using my dGBE tuned tenor.

Lyrics:

Alcoholic's Lament

[Em]I walked down the [B7]road early one [Em]morning
And I [Am]passed the alehouse [Em]door
To my great [B7]surprise the alehouse [Em]was full
With folk [B7]drinking before they went to [Em]work

[Em]I went in[B7]side and ordered a [Em]whisky
With a [Am]beer to wash it [Em]down
It tasted so [B7]fine I ordered an[Em]other
And then [B7]felt ready for the [Em]town.

[Em]I went into [B7]work and I felt really [Em]good
The day, [Am]well it just seemed to [Em]fly
So at the end of the [B7]day, I went back to the [Em]alehouse
To have a [B7]drink for the bye and [Em]bye.

[Em]So every [B7]morning I went to that [Em]alehouse
And I'd [Am]just have a little bit [Em]more
I thought work was going [B7]well till the boss called [Em]me in
Saying [B7]"Here's your cards.. Get out of the [Em]door!"

[Em]I woke up one [B7]morning with a head full of [Em]hammers
For a [Am]drink I really had [Em]need
So I went to the [B7]alehouse but found I was [Em]broke
"You've no[B7]money? You drunkard get outa [Em]here!"

Here I am with no [B7]job, no money coming [Em]in
So my [Am]wife and kids upped and [Em]went
Now I'm out on the [B7]street with nowhere to [Em]go to
That's the [B7]alcoholics lam[Em]ent

paoriginal about a true and faithful friend.

When it all goes wrong I try and find a song
When I don’t belong I try and find a song
Music is my friend On it I can depend

If things don’t go my way I grab my uke and play
Havin’ a real bad day I grab my uke n play
Music is my friend on it I can depend

And times when everything looks black
Music has always brought me back

If all I see is gloom I try and find a tune
Alone in my room I try and find a tune
Music is my friend on it I can depend

Ah, we are off to a rocking start! Very excited with what you all have brought so far, and with what is shaping up behind the scenes. Some of you have been messaging me behind the scenes asking for suggestions, I've been suggesting friends and songs I think you might like ... and then introducing you directly to the friends you are covering, so they can help you learn the song, and you can make a new friend! That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping this Season would bring ... it's exciting for you, exciting for my local friends that you are liking and wanting to cover their original songs, and a big huge happy thrill for me.

So far we have three fabulous originals and a lovely cover of an inadvertent loophole left by me. Keep 'em coming ... you are making my heart sing, dear friends.

Bonesoup (Dan) – The UU Member – Dan, this is totally adorable! Nice original, very much in the spirit of the Season. Thanks for bringing this.

Wee_ginga_yin (Rob) – Summertime – Very nice bluesy feel to this, Rob. You always add your own creative take to everything you do. I am eager to hear you cover some of my friends' originals. I just know you're going to do something cool, fun, and unexpected ... and that will be a thrill for them, for me, and hopefully for you.

Tootler (Geoff) – Alcoholics Lament – Geoff, this is such a sad, and sadly common, story. I'm so sorry this has happened to people you love. Lovely original. I really feel your love and sorrow for your friends ... and dare I say, a glimmer of hope for a better future? You have brought tears to my eyes. You are right that I was hoping for uplifting songs for Option 3 ... but sharing your heart in such a moving way is also very much in the spirit of this Season of Friends. This moves me deeply.

Pabrizzer (Brian) – Music is My Friend – Love it, Brian! Perfect original for this theme. I am grinning from ear to ear and dancing along with this ... I hope it is lifting your spirits as much as it's lifting mine. Even better when we share it with our human friends ... in this wonderful virtual world and/or live. Thanks for sharing this happy gem with your friends at our Season 159 party.

Here's my original, feel free to cover it! I'll record it soon. To the Castellano/Español speaking seasonistas, you may have noticed the use of the feminine plural of "friends"; this song was inspired by my two closest (female) friends. You can change genders as needed.

Miss Amigas (To the tune of "De Colores")
Mis amigas, mis amigas
Son las personas más simpáticas del mundo.
Mis amigas, mis amigas
Son más hermosas que los pajaritos.
Mis amigas, mis amigas
Son las amigas más amables.

Y por eso los grandes amores,
Todos mis amigas me gustan a mí.

Last edited:
Haha! I have been so intently focused on this Season all morning ... I just got up for a quick stretch and discovered heavy snow falling outside the window right behind me (the one you see in my videos) ... and an inch or so already accumulated on the ground. I had no idea it was snowing!

For those, like Rob and me (most of us northerners, probably) who are ready for the end of such things, I am celebrating that spring is coming any day now. Here are some of my harbingers:

1) This Season! I chose to host this particular week, because it was the latest possible week that I could be reasonably certain it would still be too cold to want to be outside, instead of in front of the computer tending my Season. So I am all eager with anticipation that spring days may begin arriving as early as next week!

2) Daylight Saving Time comes to (most of) the US one week from last night! That means one hour of lost sleep Saturday night (fun for hosting :)) in exchange for longer days and spring being just around the corner. "Spring Forward" day makes me really really happy.

3) Rob just messaged me he is starting his indoor planting over there in Finland. Things will be growing in the ground really soon!

So, in addition to meeting wonderful new friends this week, we can (most of us) also celebrate the imminent arrival of warmer weather and greener landscapes. My favorite time of year. So fun to get to share it with you all! And more reasons to celebrate at our Season 159 online party.

Here's my original, feel free to cover it! I'll record it soon. To the Castellano/Español speaking seasonistas, you may have noticed the use of the feminine plural of "friends"; this song was inspired by my two closest (female) friends. You can change genders as needed.

Miss Amigas (To the tune of "De Colores")
Mis amigas, mis amigas
Son las personas más simpáticas del mundo.
Mis amigas, mis amigas
Son más hermosas que los pajaritos.
Mis amigas, mis amigas
Son los amigas más amables.

Love it, Jonathan! Sweet set of lyrics. I understand them, but not everyone here speaks el Español ... so you may want to also provide a translation so everyone can enjoy them.

I just recorded "Two Songs, One Upload Limit Blues" tuned to ADEA. This song came to us in the Colors season.
Lyric translation to Mis Amigas
My Friends, my friends
Are the happiest people on Earth.
My friends, My friends
Are more beautiful than the little birdies.
My friends, my friends
Are the kindest friends.

And that is why I love
The great love of (all) my friends.
And that is why I love

"Two Songs, One Upload Limit Blues" , Lyrics by Birds Eye View Of My Ukulele, Arranged by Bubbly193.

Lyrics
torn between two songs
feeling like a fool
posting both of them is breaking all the rules
I've got the two songs, one upload limit BLUUUEEES​

Last edited:
"Two Songs, One Upload Limit Blues" , Lyrics by Birds Eye View Of My Ukulele, Arranged by Bubbly193.

You guys are too cute ... and this is clearly about friends making music together!

But even if you think we've seen the lyrics elsewhere ... please remember to post them here in the thread ... it helps us appreciate your original songs so much more!

torn between two songs
feeling like a fool
posting both of them is breaking all the rules

torn between two songs
feeling like a fool
posting them both is breaking all the rules

oh i got those two song, one upload limit blues, uh huh, yeah baby, ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

just like the white winged dove, sings a song, sounds like she's singing ooh, baby ooh, say ooh

ooh hold on, i'm getting a bit carried away now

yeah

:music:

I love all these options, but really, #1 is the one most near and dear to my heart. Originally it was going to be the only option. I would really like to see at least 50% of the entries this week be Option 1 entries. So if you are one of those people who typically brings multiple entries to a Season, please make at least one Option 1 entry this week. Preferably one for every one non-option-1 entry you do.

I have also picked out two songs by two of your friends and possibly one by you, but I don't know if I'll be able to learn them all. But all the songs I do after the first one will be option #1.

Lyric translation to Mis Amigas

My Friends, my friends
Are the happiest people on Earth.
My friends, My friends
Are more beautiful than the little birdies.
My friends, my friends
Are the kindest friends.

And that is why I love
And that is why I love
ok i was not familiar with the tune, until i went hunting on youtube - joan baez sang it, so that was espeicially lovely to have a listen to, i love her! anyway i sorta got the feel of it, but apologies for it maybe being more "sorta" than "got the feel of it"!

"my friends"

cover of bubbly's song

Last edited:
He goes by many names: Eugene Ukulele, Hippie Dribble, Butterflybandito. But Jon Duncan writes some great songs. This one resonated with me when I heard it a year or so ago. Really captures the spirit of the character in Moby Dick. I can't play or sing it like he does but I do like this song a lot.

If you want to see how this song is actually supposed to be played and sung click on this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z_k85czKEs&list=PLv7YnEFyEDkuWnFVYXiKpyKQCE5AvWZvw&index=4

ok i was not familiar with the tune, until i went hunting on youtube - joan baez sang it, so that was espeicially lovely to have a listen to, i love her! anyway i sorta got the feel of it, but apologies for it maybe being more "sorta" than "got the feel of it"!

"my friends"

cover of bubbly's song

:rock::rock: Yes!!!! The English version was really rough, but you made it work!

He goes by many names: Eugene Ukulele, Hippie Dribble, Butterflybandito. But Jon Duncan writes some great songs. This one resonated with me when I heard it a year or so ago. Really captures the spirit of the character in Moby Dick. I can't play or sing it like he does but I do like this song a lot.

If you want to see how this song is actually supposed to be played and sung click on this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z_k85czKEs&list=PLv7YnEFyEDkuWnFVYXiKpyKQCE5AvWZvw&index=4

Fred, you truly humble and honour me. I am moved you would do such a thing as perform one of my songs, and with such conviction. I don't believe one can pay a higher compliment to a musician than that. Thankyou brother.

Top Bottom