Season 159 - Cover My Friends

bubbly, pesky youtube won't let me reply to your comment over on youtube :mad: just wanna say, really looking forward to hearing the spanish version, and yes i love all the uke sizes but personally i don't think you can't beat a soprano, it's my uber fave uke size, and just so much fun to play!

bubbly, pesky youtube won't let me reply to your comment over on youtube :mad: just wanna say, really looking forward to hearing the spanish version, and yes i love all the uke sizes but personally i don't think you can't beat a soprano, it's my uber fave uke size, and just so much fun to play!
That's why I started playing, the soprano seemed like such a fun instrument! It's a blast!

I feel like Pa ... I am getting lots of very short videos ... and I quite like it!

Not that I mean to discourage anything else you want to do - it's all great ... just to say that I am quite enjoying these cute little lighthearted bits of fun!

I went through all of Pabrizzer's originals and I like this one called SPRING.
He must like it too cos he has recorded it 3 times. Once with his grand-daughter

Pabrizzer and Charlie sing Spring.

Afraid to say I changed some of the chords and words to reflect my situation in Finland.
(Australian accents are often as hard to decipher as Scottish ones)
But I think I kept roughly to the spirit of the song which is a happy blues :)

Last edited:
So difficult to decide who's songs to cover! So far I'm hoping to do a PaBrizz, a Librainian and a Berni...with gazoodles of other great ones to pick from. If nothing else Wendy, thanks for the motivation to go through seasonistas back pages. Been interesting and inspiring and made me question why I hadn't seen most of these before. Fantastic theme. Also think I might have an old Sunday School song I wrote in the closet somewhere. :uhoh:

Well I didn't have to look far into Jon's work to find something that I couldn't resist giving a went.
Nowhere near as delightfully as Jon's oringinal here but I love the gospel genre and Jon's work in general so here is my roughie.
The banjo uke never sounds as loud as it records - mine has a resonator so obviously the sound is projected straight into the mic.
I hope you are picking up the positive thoughts I often send down your way Jon.

Last edited:
Warning Thread Hijack

The BBC has covered this story on PKN. The group, whose members have Down's syndrome and autism,
will perform their 85-second song Aina Mun Pitaa (I Always Have To) at the Eurovision in Vienna in May.

They have taken Finland by storm, and I would not be surprised if they win it. I am so happy for them
And Just wanted to let everyone know that the whole of Finland is proud of them. The power of music!!!

Read the BBC report here

Lyrics of I always have to

I always have to clean
I always have to do the dishes
I always have to work
I always have to go to the doctor
I am not allowed to go to the computer
I am not allowed to watch TV
I am not allowed to see my friends
I always have to be at home
I always have to do the chores
I always have to eat well
I always have to drink well
can not eat candy, drink soda,
I can not even drink alcohol
I always have to rest
I always have to sleep
I always have to wake up
I always have to shower

Now back to your normal programme

Last edited:
Hello friends, and thank you Wendy for hosting and for the fun theme.
My first entry falls under Option 3.
Hope you enjoy it.

SOME FRIENDS :smileybounce:
some friends don't like the way you smell
some frown at your taste in shoes, haircuts and men
some live down the road
and always show up when you don't want to talk
some call you up at 3am
and talk about nothing but themselves ( oh dear)

my friends at UU don't mind the way I smell ( I don't smell)
they don't frown at my shoes ( they don't even see them, haha!)
none of them live down the road
and show up unexpectedly
we stick to a weekly routine
and meet at the Seasons of the UKE ( it's fun!)

some of them greet you from their living room
some from an automobile parked somewhere along hedges or highways
some say hello from their hotel room during their honeymoon
some brave the cold and play with frozen fingers ( I meant Freezing)
some smile at you from a sunny park

most are young, some are older
some men. some women
occasionally you meet a friend who is like maybe 8
but there is no age limit when you're making friends ( with ukuleles)

most of the gentlemen grow a beard or mustache ( gloriously)
most of the ladies have strong-looking fingers ( quite pretty)
a couple of them are headless
but you can recognise them ( I meant HER) from the way they strum ( she strums )
( 3 attempted UP strums...)

some are teachers
some work in an office
some are married and have a family
some are grandparents some live with their cats and dogs and maybe a couple of birds... ( I wonder who?)

I like my friends at the Seasons of the Ukulele
they don't judge you too much, or at all
they say kind things about your playing and your singing ( my horrible singing)
that makes you want to get even better!

it's a joy to sing and play for my friends at the Seasons of the UKE
I'm so happy I've come here and meet you!
So I wanna say:
thank you very much!

Second entry...This falls under Option 3... hope you enjoy it.

Hello fellows!
My apologies for the past few weeks as I've been AWOL... stuff... life... you know... sigh...
BUT I'm back this week for this FANTASTIC theme Wendy! I've been clicking around your friend's YouTube channels and found a song I want to do and heard some amazing music... that makes this week a triumph in my book before we've barely started!! Woooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Option 3, I wrote a song about my local uke group - a great bunch of people!

The Ukulele Group
©2015 Randy McSorley

[G7] To-[C] day is a [F] very special [C] day [C7]
The [F] ukulele [A7] group gets together to [Dm] play [A7]
So-[F] pranos, tenors and [Fm] concerts too
[C] Maybe a bass and a [A7] tam or two
The [D7] ukulele [G7] group gets together to-[C] day [G7]

Here [C] come some old friends [F] bringing someone [C] new [C7]
There’s [F] Tess and Greg and [A7] Kay and AJ [Dm] too [A7]
We’ll [F] sing an old one, [Fm] learn a new one
[C] Most of all we’ll [A7] have some fun
The [D7] ukulele [G7] group gets together to-[C] day

[Am] Nothing is more [B7] fun than [Em7] practicing your strum
[Am] Laughing, singing, [B7] playing with your [Em7] friends [G7]

To-[C] day is a [F] very special [C] day [C7]
[F] Bob and Heather and [Fm] Shannon too
[C] Maybe a harp or an [A7] old kazoo
The [D7] ukulele [G7] group gets together to-[C] day [G7]

[Am] Nothing is more [B7] fun than [Em7] practicing your strum
[Am] Laughing, singing, [B7] playing with your [Em7] friends [G7]

The [D7] ukulele [G7] group gets together to-[C] day [A7]
The [D7] ukulele [G7] group gets together to-[C] day [A7]

Mis Amigas - A homemade song, en Castellano.

Code:
A
Mis amigas, mis amigas
                                    E7
Son las personas más simpáticas del mundo.

Mis amigas, mis amigas
                               A
Son más hermosas que los pajaritos.

Mis amigas, mis amigas
                      D
Son las amigas más amables.

A
Y por eso los grandes amores,
          F#m                 A  A7
Todos mis amigas me gustan a mí.
      D               A
Y por eso los grandes amores,
          F#m                 A  A7
Todos mis amigas me gustan a mí.

Last edited:
Okay, this one was meant to be homemade, but i couldn't work out another four syllable verse. Dogs are mans best friends, so here's one about a dog, a dog with fleas. This will perhaps be the shortest entry you get this season, or any season.

Last edited:
SOTU 159 - Cover My Friends - Hallelujah Ukulele

I had intended this to be a sort of parody using the music from Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" because that was the first song I ever learned on the uke. But then I decided that 1) the music was too maudlin; and 2) I would rather it be original music as well, to go with my original lyrics. So if for some reason anyone ever wants to sing this song to the music of "Hallelujah," it works.

Code:
Hallelujah Ukulele

C                  A7
She said "Take this gift and spend it on
  F                           G7  
A thing you'd not have bought on your own"
     C                    D7        G7
So I went and bought this little ukulele
   C                 A7
At first it wouldn't stay in tune
      F                        G7
But I strummed all through the afternoon
     C                     G7         C    C7
When night time came I was playing ukulele

F        C
Ukulele, ukulele
     G7                     C
Hallelujah I was playing ukulele

A friend said "You should come play with us"
And though I still felt quite nonplussed
One day I showed up with my ukulele
I thought that I would turn to stone
When they stood me at a microphone
But I sang and played my little ukulele

Ukulele Ukulele
Hallalujah I was playing ukulele

While wand'ring aimlessly on Facebook
I found some uke groups and joined up
I met some folks who played the ukulele
One day someone named UkeCan1
Posted a video she had done
And I discovered the Seasons of the Ukulele

Ukulele Ukulele
Hallelujah they're all playing ukulele

And now I look forward every day
To what the internet brings my way
To people singing and playing their ukuleles
Who knows what theme each week will bring
Another chance to play and sing
To sing and play my little ukulele

Ukulele Ukulele
Hallelujah we're all playing ukulele (x2)

Like many of you, I also am a great fan of Brian's music. His honey-gravel voice, smooth playing and delivery make his performances consistently excellent. But his writing is where the rubber really hits the road. Lyrically his songs can hold their own against anything. I went to his channel with the intention of re-discovering some gems and never made it past song #1. Sorta says it all. I hope you guys and gals find some time to listen to some of his original stuff this week, it's worth it.

You guys!!!!!!! You have to stop all this fabulousness so I can go to bed!!!!!

OMG, I thought I could get through all these lovely short songs lickety-split, make some quick comments, and get some sleep tonight. Instead, I'm up 1.5 hours past bedtime (okay, well, that's like 3 hours earlier than Season 150 though, so really I should be proud of that) ... and my heart is so overflowing with all this amazing love and joy and creative brilliance and ukulele goodness and ... yes, dear friends ... you are capturing the spirit of friendship already beyond my wildest dreams.

Tears of joy. Honestly, I feel I need to go try to get some sleep (if I even can!) and get up early and watch the rest in the morning ... or my heart is going to burst! (Truly - it feels way bigger than when I started watching.) And then you all will no doubt go on sharing your love with each other right through Monday morning ... and probably for a thousand years beyond ... but you will have no host. And although you'll be fine without me... I also know how much you appreciate having a host stop in from time to time and comment on all this wonderful stuff you're bringing!

So, if I am to live through the night and rise again to complete this ridiculously amazing thing I started ... I'm going to have to ration myself, I think!

Man, oh, man ... this is not exactly the Season I'd envisioned, but really, who cares any more? ... you have taken my idea and are making it into something even bigger and better than I could ever have hoped. SO MUCH LOVE HERE!

Blessings on you all; just keep doing what you're doing ... I'll be back in a few hours.

Here's what I've managed to comment on so far tonight:

Bubbly193 (Jonathan) – Two Songs, One Upload Limit Blues (words by Lynda (BirdsEyeView)) – Jonathan, I love the enthusiasm you bring to the Seasons. This is so much fun! I just love these little spontaneous Seasons collaborations. (And you are clearly too young to know about this, so ... for educational purposes only. :) http://youtu.be/wmvYlJb2-bc ... it’s kind of like archeology, really!)

BirdsEyeViewOfMyUkulele (Lynda) – My Friends (by Jonathan (Bubbly193)) – Aw, what a sweet collaboration! I love that you scooped Jonathan's Spanish version ... you covered it before the original was even released! Lots of happy Seasons friend love flowing already this Season of friends - you are making my heart smile.

FrisbeeFred (Fred) – Ishmael's Song (by Jon Duncan (Hippie Dribble, Eugene Ukulele, Butterfly Bandito)) – Wow, Fred! Your voice is fantastic on this, and I love the upbeat happy strum ... you are making me cry tears of joy for the second time in 24 hours, my friend. Very nice. Jon, what a fabulous song! I'm so glad you're getting some cover love from some of your many friends this week.

Wee_ginga_yin (Rob) – Spring (by Brian (Pabrizzer)) – Rob, I love how you bluesified this - it's a bit of a tribute to Fred and Season 158 along with the lovely celebration of Pa and Cha and their wonderful song. And, of course, I know you are (as we all are! - except our covered artists in the southern half) eager for the snows to melt and green things to sprout.

Pabrizzer (Brian) – The Man From Galilee (by Jon Duncan (Hippie Dribble, Eugene Ukulele, Butterfly Bandito)) – This is lovely, Brian. Your playing is gorgeous and you are pouring your heart into the words. You all are making me so emotional listening to all this great love you are bestowing on each other! Jon must be one happy man tonight.

Joo (Joo) – Some Friends (original) – Joo!!! This is phenomenal. I laughed and smiled at every single line, and if I don't go to bed Right Now I am going to stay up all night and watch this 5000 times. You all are so amazing this Season I feel my heart is about to explode. So much love. Joo, you captured the spirit of the Season (and the Seasons) so exquisitely, I am just going to sleep with this in my heart so there is room for more in the morning! Mwah!

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT-TYPE STUFF:

1) I am seeing everybody's comments and PM's and will respond ... Janet, I'll get your links up - thanks for sharing them.
To all: If we are connected on Facebook, please message me there instead of UU ... it doesn't fill up every 30 seconds like my UU inbox.

2) Some of you were doing such lovely covers of friends, I felt the originals you were basing them on needed to be on display too ... but I didn't want to clutter up the playlist with non-entries. So I have made a second playlist, so these wonderful originals you are all so lovingly celebrating can be seen as well.

3) We have some PRIZES - more on this tomorrow. So far, four of my listed musical friends have offered their fabulous CD's as prizes. They are: A Halo Called Fred, Stuart Markus, Arlon Bennett, and Carla Ulbrich (her CD "Sick Humor"). (Three of these people I have covered myself in previous Seasons.) I'll get titles from the others tomorrow ... and possibly more prizes from more friends. So go on, please at least give some of their songs a listen.

4) I said I wasn't going to make you comment on all the videos for prizes two weeks in a row. I am rethinking that. Everything you are bringing is so fantastic, I really want you all to get lots of views and appreciation and acknowledgment from each other. After all, interaction among us really is the whole point of this Season and its theme.

So YES, at least some of the prizes, including the biggest ones, if there are bigger ones ... will be awarded to people who comment on all the entries in the main playlist.

Since I'm not setting a limit on entries like Fred did, here's how I will make this doable. I want you to at least watch every entry, and leave some kind of comment. If you don't feel you have time to think of something thoughtful and heartfelt on every one, it is perfectly okay to leave a single-word comment, or even just a smiley face or an exclamation point or your initials, or whatever. Leave anything, no matter how simple and small. Just something to let the person know you watched and appreciated their video ... anything at all that's positive will feel good to you and to them.

(Of course if you do feel up to leaving actual comments, please do. These entries are all wonderful and deserve some attention and love.)

Sorry for the midstream rule-change ... I really think it's important for this Season of Friends. I had an amazing experience watching and commenting tonight that transformed my whole day, and I want you to have that too! I promise your life will be better for having watched these videos.

Okay. I leave you with enthusiastic bear hugs and big sloppy kisses. and go off to try to get some sleep before I let you fill my heart some more tomorrow!
MWAH! MWAH! MWAH!

I'm very anti-social and don't like people too much.........can I just do a duet with my dog?
We do awesome covers of Chas 'n' Dave with me on uke and vocals and him on percussion with a tamborine tied to his nuts !!

On a more serious note Wendy, will your friends do a cover of my grandmother singing Eidelweiss ? (There will be a bonus prize for those who can manage the 'dentures out' effect that she did so well) Lol

As luck would have it, I was able to find a video of grandmother singing Edelweiss

Hello everyone! Wendy said I should post this for 159...this is me and my oldest friend, my dad. He is the one who got me into playing music...he's the one I get my old man sense of humor from...and we both think George Harrison is the best Beatle...so here we are covering one of his songs.

Top Bottom