A great flatwound low G string

Andy Chen

Reaction score
Thomastik-Infeld CF30 - 4th string (D) .030 chrome steel flat wound
$5.69

This is probably not so well known and a little pricier than the Fremont Soloist, but it's even more squeakless than the Fremont and has slightly better balance against the rest of the unwound strings. Less boomy, too.

Thanks for the info. What about a wound C? I'm tired of the thuddy sound the fluorocarbon string makes when fretted.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Andy.

Hi Nickie,

Not sure about wound C, but I hear good things about South Coast's wound Cs.

I know what you mean about the thuddy sound fluorocarbon Cs make. I hear it a little, but am not too bothered by it at the moment.

If you do a search you'll find there have been several threads regarding Thomastik-Infeld flat wounds. I think UU member OldePhart was one of the few who started posting about them. As far as a wound C, try the TI CF27.

Well, I'll be... Would have saved me some research time and money if I had seen that thread.

Well, I'll be... Would have saved me some research time and money if I had seen that thread.

Andy, use this search parameter (site:forum.ukuleleunderground.com) and at the end; add a space followed by topic/subject
ex: site:forum.ukuleleunderground.com kanaka916

South Coast has a semi flat Low G set that is nice. I need to look it up - HML-FW is the set - while Dirk strings are more expensive this set tends to last longer than his RW Low G set. (A better value)

It seems that .30 is a pretty thick gauge. Do you find that it fits well in the nut slots?

If you do a search you'll find there have been several threads regarding Thomastik-Infeld flat wounds. I think UU member OldePhart was one of the few who started posting about them. As far as a wound C, try the TI CF27.

Yep, OldePhart turned me on to them as well, all I use for wound strings now on ANY instrument are the Thomastik-Infeld chrome flatwounds.

More expensive, but no other 'polished' / 'smoothwound' / 'flatwound' string from the more dozens sets and singles from a spectrum of other brands that I've tried have LESS string squeak, AND hold intonation as well as the T-I sets...

Great strings. :)

It seems that .30 is a pretty thick gauge. Do you find that it fits well in the nut slots?

I've found that most fluorocarbon 'C' strings are ~0.0319, and most fluorocarbon low 'G' strings are ~0.0358" so a wound 0.027" and 0.030" should fit provided the nut slot is wide enough for a low G.

I've not had any problems using these on any of my ukes, without having to widen any nut slots, however, YMMV. :)

Yep, OldePhart turned me on to them as well, all I use for wound strings now on ANY instrument are the Thomastik-Infeld chrome flatwounds.

More expensive, but no other 'polished' / 'smoothwound' / 'flatwound' string from the more dozens sets and singles from a spectrum of other brands that I've tried have LESS string squeak, AND hold intonation as well as the T-I sets...

Great strings. :)

I find the Fremont Soloist Polished Low G to be equally as quiet and I get them for 4 bucks a piece so it's a great deal. Have had them on my ukes for a year at times and they are still going strong after 3 string changes on the trebles.

I have TI as well and it is a great string but I started with the Fremonts and they have lasted so long they are a stable in my string box.

I bought TIs based on recommendations from this forum but they snapped on the first peg twist so I tossed them. I've changed a lot of strings and that was even faster than the Aquila reds.

Thomastik-Infeld CF30 - 4th string (D) .030 chrome steel flat wound
$5.69

This is probably not so well known and a little pricier than the Fremont Soloist, but it's even more squeakless than the Fremont and has slightly better balance against the rest of the unwound strings. Less boomy, too.

Very good to know. Thank you. I think I am getting ready to order my Clara.

Top Bottom