Bought a "Brand new" ukulele on eBay... what I received was not like that at all!

And you know it's a good sample. If it was in good condition I'd prefer it. And you skip the set up wait.

C'mon, OBM, when one flies to Hawaii to buy from HMS, I'm sure she wanted an especially beautiful ukulele for good memories, if nothin' else--have a heart. It should have been a special treat for her!

Well, I hope you had a nice trip anyway, Brenda. :eek:ld:

She got to travel to Hawaii and visit a legendary ukulele store. That in and of itself is a good memory!

Her entire comment seems more centered around the fact that it's a bad thing that she DID NOT get a discount for a floor model, as if that is an entitlement. Musical instruments are meant to be played; I've tried countless instruments at many stores (some of which were specialty places that I traveled great distances to visit), and never gotten a discount for buying the floor model.

If the instrument was visibly worn or aged due to demo use, different story. However, if you want a completely, brand spankin' new instrument, buy one that has never left the box it was shipped in.

How was the sellers feedback? I start with that before I buy most things on Ebay.

While I usually only buy from our favorite vendors or here, I did recently got a "mint' condition Godine Uke for $500 about $200 off, and I can't find any fault at all with it. I love it.

Ironically, I believe you sold your Godin a week after... I would have preferred buying from you, as the two instruments I got from you were exactly as described !

She got to travel to Hawaii and visit a legendary ukulele store. That in and of itself is a good memory!

Her entire comment seems more centered around the fact that it's a bad thing that she DID NOT get a discount for a floor model, as if that is an entitlement. Musical instruments are meant to be played; I've tried countless instruments at many stores (some of which were specialty places that I traveled great distances to visit), and never gotten a discount for buying the floor model.

If the instrument was visibly worn or aged due to demo use, different story. However, if you want a completely, brand spankin' new instrument, buy one that has never left the box it was shipped in.

I agree. And the strings were settled in so she got a very accurate representation of the beautiful instrument she was investing in. I wanna go to a uke store in Hawaii!!!

The only place that would consider that uke to be in "new" condition is Guitar Center. Hope you get at least a partial refund.

If the fault is really on their end then don't forget the scathing review. Sometimes it's your only satisfaction. I suggest you get good at complaining for the future. How you go about it often determines success or failure and bad vibes. Honestly I usually get satisfaction if I keep my temper in check and instead blind them with superior logic and I try to keep it friendly even if I'm complaining. When I believe all is lost however I've been known to unload until the weapon is empty. ;) My bad.

If the fault is really on their end then don't forget the scathing review. Sometimes it's your only satisfaction. I suggest you get good at complaining for the future. How you go about it often determines success or failure and bad vibes. Honestly I usually get satisfaction if I keep my temper in check and instead blind them with superior logic and I try to keep it friendly even if I'm complaining. When I believe all is lost however I've been known to unload until the weapon is empty. ;) My bad.

When I look at reviews - of ANYTHING online - any scathing ones I usually discount (the same goes for the tremendously glowing reviews as well). Leave negative feedback, but be clear about your reasoning. You'll have more impact that way with future prospective buyers, and still get your karmic satisfaction.

By scathing I'm not talking about abusing anyone. I'm talking about a fully articulate and accurate portrayal of what you have just gone through. And imo if you skip the best and the worst you've just cut one leg off. I've gotten plenty of great info from both groups. You just have to use your noggin.

By scathing I'm not talking about abusing anyone. I'm talking about a fully articulate and accurate portrayal of what you have just gone through. And imo if you skip the best and the worst you've just cut one leg off. I've gotten plenty of great info from both groups. You just have to use your noggin.

Ah, that makes sense.

Well, I should've been clear. The ones I avoid are the 1 star, "This company SUCKS! Don't EVER deal with them!!!" reviews as well as the 5 star, "This is the BEST COMPANY EVER!!!!" reviews. Those are based more on snap judgement and emotion over actual noggin-usage. Give me the 2-4 star reviews that, as you said, accurately portray their experiences any day of the week.

The OP was trying to talk about his situation with an eBay seller. While I understand that Brenda's plight is discussionworthy, it ought to have its own thread. Please don't hijack the OP's thread.

Last edited:
Well, mds725, then the thread is over. Everyone gave his/her opinion of what to say and do about the mishandled Uke. What else is there to do or say?

Goodbye all and Happy March 5th! :eek:ld:

Dalek: Stay on track. Do not stray. Failure will result in thread death. You are warned. :rolleyes:

How was the sellers feedback? I start with that before I buy most things on Ebay.

While I usually only buy from our favorite vendors or here, I did recently got a "mint' condition Godine Uke for $500 about $200 off, and I can't find any fault at all with it. I love it.

Ironically, I believe you sold your Godin a week after... I would have preferred buying from you, as the two instruments I got from you were exactly as described !

Thanks Olarte.

The seller had 100% feedback, BUT only had experience of selling 8 items.
I gave him the benefit of the doubt and believed that when the instrument was listed as "Brand new", that it would be true.
The photographs in the listing were vague, but didn't really show the ukulele close up.

I am still awaiting for the seller's response. I am sure eBay buyer protection will help me, as the return policy on the listing says the seller will take full responsibility.
However, it is frustrating to be stuck with the worn-out instrument and waiting to see how cooperative the seller is.

I suspect that the seller perhaps hoped that a person inexperienced in buying instruments would make the purchase and stay silent. Alas, I have a large collection of ukuleles and have researched Vorsons quite extensively.... bad luck for him!

If he doesn't respond by 10th march, it seems eBay will step in and do something.

edit: I don't mind the topic drifting a little. I am enjoying the discussions here and the empathy people have shown me :)

Last edited:
Bad timing on my part. I bought a Vorson Tele style a few months ago from Sweetwater for $139 US. As it happened, I never played it so it truely is in like new condition. I changed the knobs to Fender black and did change the strings because I didn't realize it was low G and over tuned the G string to breaking. I replaced them with much heavier strings, which turned out to be a mistake, hard to hold down. So I put it aside and last week I decided to sell it (with the strap) along with three other ukes. I brought it to U-Space, who's waiting for a customer to decide on buying it. They will ask $100 and give me $80. But, if it doesn't come through, do you want it? I don't know what shipping will be, where are you?

Vorson Tele mine.jpg

Last edited:
That's a lovely offer, but I have discovered that the Vorsons can be bought locally (in Australia) brand new for not that much.

I will also have to wait to see how the seller wants to proceed.
I would not particularly mind keeping the "Used" ukulele if he refunds half the money. But any less than that, I will go for a full refund and spend my money elsewhere.

Top Bottom