Have any one play one of these plastic?

It seems there are a few plastic ukes entering the market (Bugs Gear, Outdoor, Waterman). I have not yet played any of them, but am thinking about the Waterman. My daughter has a shark that plays quite well, so I thought I would stay with the same brand. As for the Bugs Gear, here is a review Baz Maz did. I always find his reviews very informative and helpful (his review of the Ohana SK-25 was key in my purchasing one. And I LOVE it!!!)

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2014/04/bugsgear-aqulele-ukulele-review.html

Just got one. Love it. And though my ears are not educated, it sounds good to me. Definitely better than the Makala Dolphin with stock strings (restringing is on my to do list). It's great to leave out. Have relatives visiting and they are learning to play on it, no worries.

Eta: The strings it came with sound pretty good.

I've had one of these for over a year - even brought it to Jay's Ukejam By The Bay last year, where people were quite surprised by the sound (the finishing wasn't too great, but it sounds nice.)

To me, the weak point is the strings. Phil Kwack said he uses a Chinese-made string that he feel sounded better than Aquila Nylguts, but I don't know. I'm going to try Aquilas on this instrument.

I have left this uke in my car year round - in excess for 100 degree F in the closed car in the summer, and 15 below zero F this past month. The strings are the only part having a problem with the weather; the uke is sold, and sounds nice.

Between 40 and 85 degrees F, no issues, once it is tuned. The tuners are a touch loose, but I've played several more expensive instruments with worse tuners than these.

I guess the biggest telling point is, in addition to all of my other ukuleles, I have ordered a concert size version of the Aqualele, as well. I like having a uke with me all the time, and these certainly fill that need.

-Kurt​

I've got one and it's pretty neat. I think different strings would improve it. But I haven't cared enough to actually try any. So I'd be interested in if anyone else does.

She can always get a Dolphin, or a decent laminate for about $100 ... or, start on the Bugsgear and add something else down the road. For $100, there isn't too terrible much at stake.

I tried one at TBUG. They are much better than the Outdoor Ukes. I am waiting for the concert size.

I was looking for a thread on "Pukes" (plastic ukes) and dug up this one. I wanted to say that I have 2 of these Bugsgear ukes and while I think they are very good (and have 2) I just found and even better plastic uke. I also leave one Bug in the car year round in drastic temperatures here in VA. When I told my hubby that the new puke I got I really liked so much I wasn't sure if I wanted to take the chance of leaving it in the car. I can not believe this but he said.......buy another! Whoo, hoo, I'm on it! The Bug's intonation is not that great up the neck but my new Kealoha from Amazon (now on sale for 44 bucks) has very good intonation and it just "feels" right. Bowed back, loud sound, great action, nice designs. Is it just a lucky uke? IDK a new one is on the way and I'll let you know when it arrives :)

Top Bottom